• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

IYO: The Best GBA Games

MiniPocketWorld

🌺💦🏄💦🌺
Bells
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Flimsy Watering Can
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
White Violet
Purple Violet
1642597115043.png1642597057417.png
What are the best GBA games in your opinion?
What ones did you have the most fun with?
Would you still recommend them for today?
And are there any GBA games you are curious about but never got to play?

List of all GBA Games

Aw man, I have so many!

Hamtaro Ham-Ham Heartbreak is definitely up there. Anyone who had that game knows how many times we all replayed it. I'd definitely still recommend it today, even as an adult I've had fun replaying it.
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town was great too but I think after more recent SoS games (or Stardew Valley) going back some fans of the series may find it a bit lacking

For nostalgic purposes I think GBA graphics/art may be my favorite of any video game system... Although SNES and DS would be up there too.

(and many more games but those came to mind first. I enjoyed Emerald too but I'm sure that'll get mentioned plenty haha)

tbh I don't have that big of an opinion on GBA games because, despite having one as a kid, I didn't have very many games for it. I did really like Pokemon Sapphire and Warioware Twisted though, both great games that I still enjoy playing to this day.

Some I really loved, in no specific order:

Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap, Pokémon Emerald, Spyro Season of Flame/Ice(Flame was better but I liked both.. Idr Rhynocs that good so), Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Yoshi's Island port; better than SNES since they actually adapted the controls to GBA, Final Fantasy V Advance, and the one game named simply "Rayman" (not the 2nd for GBC or the Hoodlum Havoc, but yeah that one).

I'll mention Wario Land 4 for being alright, but 3 for GBC was so much better imo.

castlevania aria of sorrow, mother 3, mario and luigi superstar saga and wario land 4 are prob the top 4 for me, the gba didnt have a whole lot of original titles but these games were amazing and worth checking out

If you like JRPGs, the Golden Sun games are a must. They have some of the best visuals and music on the GBA. The story is pretty good too, if a bit on the simpler side.

honestly I didn’t and still don’t pay attention to a lot of the GBA era but based on the few GBA games I’ve played over the years: mother 3 & pokemon emerald. i like harvest moon: friends of mineral town a lot too but that game is probably obsolete now because of the switch remake

there were many good games on it.

advance wars 1 and 2 were great. it's being re-released for switch later this year with updated graphics. very much worth having.

zone of the enders was easy, repetitive gameplay, but the story was A+++++

These were ones that I remember liking the most.

Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Fusion
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Lord of the Rings: The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Star Wars Jedi Power Battle
Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Spider-Man - Mysterio's Menace

I think I spent more time on the Lord of the Rings games than any other. Especially Return of The King.

Last edited:
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga is top tier. I lost so much of my time playing through that game over and over again. Minish Cap is amazing too, as well as Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green. I had a lot of GBA games and played them all quite a bit, but those ones alone probably account for a good 90% of my total GBA play time.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - my favorite GBA game that I bought 2-3 times??? Then downloaded it on an emulator on my phone, and on my pc. P.S. it’s not the same because it’s so fun holding L+R down doing neat specials 🤧 Idk, I refused to play the 3DS version with Bowser’s minions purely because the art design in the original GBA version was such an amazing stylistic choice. This game is an absolute legend to me.

These games also were the highlight of my GBA days 💙
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
Hamtaro: Ham Ham Heartbreak
Pokémon Emerald

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga remains one of my favorite RPG's and one of my favorite Mario games in general. Its approach to turn-based combat is unique, but also simple while still requiring a degree of skill to properly master. The graphics are beautiful and the music is all quite pleasant, despite the GBA's sound being rather poor. If I had to choose a favorite of the entire library, it would probably be this.

Others include-
Pokémon Emerald, because you can't discuss any Nintendo handheld without also discussing Pokémon. I'm not entirely in love with Gen III as a whole, but I still have a nostalgic fondness for Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. And-even if they weren't the best games in the series-they still felt like complete experiences worth their original retail price, which is more than I can say for their remakes. I only played Sapphire, but I chose Emerald because the expanded story and content make it a much greater investment than the other versions.

Metroid Fusion, which is far from the best Metroid game, but its linearity and objective-based approach makes it suitable for newcomers. Besides, it's still a very well-made game, even if it's not exactly the Metroid everyone wanted in 2002. It's just a bit of a shame that Other M sort of retroactively marrs some of its plot beats.

Sonic Advance 2. Very decent high-speed platformer. Not the best, but I had fun with it.

Honestly, I only had a GBA for a short amount of time because my dumb kid self broke it and my mom got me a DS Lite instead, but pretty much the only game I played was a three-in-one cartridge that contained Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders, and Memory. I LOVED Candy Land, so I played that game religiously. Honestly, if I get another GBA or fix my dad's old DS Lite someday, that's the first game I'm buying. This was before I got into things like Mario, Sonic, etc., so I mainly just had GBA ports of board games or classic games like Tetris, with the occasional animal care game added in. But dang, I loved playing Candy Land.

EDIT: Should also point out that neither I nor my family comprehended that a DS could play GBA games, so unfortunately my folks got rid of the games with the system 😣

Though I owned a Game Boy Advance back in its heyday, I didn't really use it to its potential. As mentioned in the Game Boy Color thread, peer pressure kind of pushed me away from Pokémon until HeartGold and SoulSilver, so I missed out on playing Gen III in their time. It wasn't until the DS days and onward that I would really explore the Game Boy Advance since the DS Lite has a Game Boy Advance slot.

---

MiniPocketWorld said:
What are the best GBA games in your opinion?
What ones did you have the most fun with?

- I'd say the best Game Boy Advance game for me would have to be Mother 3. It's up there as one of my favorite video games ever.

- Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade (simply titled Fire Emblem in North America and Europe, since it was the first international release despite being the 7th game) and Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones are both good fun. Never played Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade since it's only ever been released in Japan, but I've seen other play it.

- After getting back into the series with HeartGold and SoulSilver, I sought out the games I missed out on. Have Fire Red, Leaf Green, Ruby and Emerald but never bothered to get Sapphire. Ruby I never really played for any length of time, using it only as a way to farm Wishmaker Jirachi from the Pokémon Colosseum Bonus Disc. I actually played Emerald since I could encounter Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza, so it felt like the obvious choice as an adult with less time on their hands and wanting to get the Generation III experience. I'd say Pokémon Emerald is probably the best of the Pokémon games on the GBA.

- I had a copy of Yu Yu Hakusho Tournament Tactics. Thought it was fun at the time, don't know how it holds up.

MiniPocketWorld said:
Would you still recommend them for today?

Yes.

---

MiniPocketWorld said:
And are there any GBA games you are curious about but never got to play?

Yes. There are a number of games which I haven't yet played but intend to, which I'll mention below.

- Due to being a turn-based tactics game fan, as one can guess from the Fire Emblem games mentioned above, and because of hearing a lot of good things, I got a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance a few years back. I was initially under the mistaken impression that it was a port of the well-regarded Final Fantasy Tactics for the PlayStation, but would later discover that Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is its own wholly unique game with different characters, plot, etc. Haven't gotten around to it as of yet, but plan to since I hear it's good in its own way.

- Continuing the tactics trend, after learning a few years ago that the Advance Wars games were also made by Intelligent Systems, the company behind the Fire Emblem series, my interest has been piqued. Planning to get them at some point, though unsure whether to get the newer, prettier, fancier Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp on the Switch, or save $40 and get the originals on the Wii U eShop.

- Speaking of the Wii U eShop, I've also been interested for some time in trying out Golden Sun.

- I'll also mention Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon. Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention, or simply Shining Force, was my first introduction to turn-based tactical RPGs as a child, and my love for it would go on to interest me in Fire Emblem, which is one of my favorite video game franchises. Resurrection of the Dark Dragon is a remake with a new art style and the like, and it looks neat. I have copies of Shining Force on the Sega Genesis, the Nintendo Wii, and the Nintendo Switch (thanks to the Sega Genesis Collection), so I don't know that I necessarily need another, but maybe someday I'll grab it.

---

There are also some games that I probably won't play, but admire anyhow.

I'd probably enjoy the Game Boy Advance CastleVania games if I were actually any good at CastleVania and platforming in general.

Shouldn't come as a surprise that Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age are my top two picks for GBA games. After all, *pokes avatar*. One of my favorite RPGs ever, it would be nice to get a new entry in the series one of these days.

Some other top GBA games for me include Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (although it's kinda cheating including it since it was released on SNES first, lol), Pokemon Ruby (which I have a lot of nostalgia for since it was my first ever main series Pokemon game) and WarioWare, inc.: Mega Microgames. And even though I never actually had any of these for the GBA and played them later through other systems they were released on, I enjoyed Advance Wars, Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising, Fire Emblem (Blazing Blade) and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga as well.

Back