• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Is HHD Worth Getting Now?

koopasta

Bells
Special Snowflake
Holiday Candy Cane 2018
Ruby
Leif
Jack
I've been on a craze where I'm trying to acquire all of the previous AC games after my 3DS breaking and me being unable to play New Leaf. I've gotten GCN and Wild World is on its way. I have everything except City Folk and HHD. I'm debating on whether or not I want to get my 3DS replaced or of I just want to call it quits and wait for AC Switch, hoping it's not awful. However, if I would get my 3DS fixed, would HHD still be fun to play if bought in 2019? I'm asking because I would have missed all of the DLC and would have to play the game bare-bones.

This is what I like to say about HHD. It consists of building houses (obviously), but it really doesn't have anything else to offer. If you really enjoy that feature, you will likely enjoy HHD. If not, then you will probably get bored really fast.

If you've ever played The Sims, this might be a little helpful.

If you're the type of Sims player who spends hours building and perfecting your lots, HHD is probably for you.

If you're the type of player who just selects one of the default houses and gets right to playing, HHD may not be for you.

I see no reason why this would be different in 2019.

Personally, I enjoy HHD because I enjoyed designing my house in all the AC games. As MapleSilver said, if you're the type of person who plays sims and spends hours designing your house, this is the type of game for you. From experience, I can't exactly spend hours and days playing it, like I do with NL. I tend to pick it up every once in a while, design a few houses, and then don't play it for a while. It's a fun game to pick up and play every so often :)

The game is no different than it was when it first released, so I'd see no reason not to get it if you really wanted it

^^^^ I only got it myself a month or so ago, but I find it to be quite an enjoyable game. If you like designing animal crossing houses, then this game will not disappoint. You get a lot more creative freedom with the options of ceiling decor, rugs, being able to not only place furniture outside, but also on a much more versatile grid:

example.jpg
Image taken from Google Images

& so many more additions that I find myself missing when I play the regular animal crossing again! I really really enjoy it and if it speaks to you then you probably will find getting HHD worthwhile.

Uh i suggesting getting hhd. You can get special items from hhd to NL. You can get them from nooks store. You just need to link the hhd cartridge or application. Also a special amibo card is incuded! (if you get the cartridge version that is)

Last edited:
I picked it up for ?20 brand new a couple weeks ago.

It's stupidly simple and the only thing you'll be doing is decorating houses. I see comparisons to the Sims but I wouldn't compare it to that, it's just nowhere near as deep in its building/decorating mechanics. I've only put a few hours into it so far BUT it also seems way too straight forward, like the villager will say "I want a house like a playroom" and BAM, you just fill it with items that have that description and you're good.

Saying that, it's fun enough and a nice chilled little time waster when I've got 10 minutes or so. I don't regret buying it, especially when it's now going for around half the price.

I'm asking because I would have missed all of the DLC and would have to play the game bare-bones.

DLC? The only DLC I'm aware of are the amiibo cards. They're not particularly hard to get either. I dunno whether they're still sold in game stores, but you can still find them on eBay.

In fact, I found it a lot easier to just buy a bunch of individual cards of the characters I really like, the vast majority of them being a couple of ?/$ at best. There was only a very small handful that I personally came across that were stupidly overpriced...I love Ankha, but I don't love her enough to spend ?20+ on a piece of card with an NFC chip in it. But Carmen and Bunnie for ?2, I'm cool with that.

Uh i suggesting getting hhd. You can get special items from hhd to NL. You can get them from nooks store. You just need to link the hhd cartridge or application. Also a special amibo card is incuded! (if you get the cartridge version that is)

You sure that's still the case? Having bought mine recently new and sealed (original Nintendo sealing) there was no card in it. I ended up buying the card in eBay for like ?1 though, so no biggie.

Tao

They may be referring to the large items you may also get in New Leaf from connecting your Happy Home Designer data. Originally every so often, Happy Home Designer would have themed challenges around one of the items. If you did it, you would then have it in your game. If not, then you missed out.

There is also characters you could access for certain periods of time that would give you certain items in the same manner through SpotPass (?), such as the campus set, Monster Hunter set, etc.

Last edited:
HHD is worth it for singing Isabelle alone. :D

Also the character personalities are more detailed than in New Leaf. It's pretty refreshing. You also find out things about the NPC characters too, if you have their cards.

DLC? The only DLC I'm aware of are the amiibo cards. They're not particularly hard to get either. I dunno whether they're still sold in game stores, but you can still find them on eBay.

Eh? This game had a ton of DLC. Outside of the giant 20 challenge items, there were four villagers(Maddie, Louie, Claude, Felyne) and three sets(Monster Hunter, Notebook, 7-eleven) that were available by download only. The 7-eleven set also got a few dlc items that were Japan released only. Yeah, the dlc items can be transferred by amiibo card, but you'd have to find someone who has the items you're looking for, tell them save the stuff to an amiibo card, and have the card itself sent to you. As for the villagers, unless they're re-released, there's no way to obtain them, but you can always have their pics scanned to an amiibo card along with the other dlc items.

Last edited:
This is what I like to say about HHD. It consists of building houses (obviously), but it really doesn't have anything else to offer. If you really enjoy that feature, you will likely enjoy HHD. If not, then you will probably get bored really fast.

I see no reason why this would be different in 2019.

I 100% agree with this assessment.

I have another question: I was thinking about getting it too but I was wondering how dependent on the amiibo cards is it? I have a few but not too many that work with HHD. Is there plenty of gameplay in it without having to buy any cards? Also, does it work with the NFC sensor on the New 3DS or do I need the adapter anyway?

I have another question: I was thinking about getting it too but I was wondering how dependent on the amiibo cards is it? I have a few but not too many that work with HHD. Is there plenty of gameplay in it without having to buy any cards? Also, does it work with the NFC sensor on the New 3DS or do I need the adapter anyway?

I don't have any Amiibo cards and I think it's a fine game. It's not that dependant on them.

Speaking of Nfc Sensor, It will only work on the Old 3ds, Old 3ds XL andf the Old 2ds. I own a new 3ds XL and i dont need it although i got it with a combo box for a cheaper price. The new 3ds dont need nfc

If you want to build most of the NPC homes(Nook, Rover, etc), you would need their cards or amiibo figures, but for the regular villagers, the cards aren't necessary at all. You can play just fine without a single one of them. The game isn't dependent on the cards at all.

Back