• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

iPad & Apple Pencil for Art

Holla

🌸
Bells
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Golden Watering Can
Hello there. I'm a novice aspiring artist who would like to get more into digital art as a hobby. I've done traditional art for as long as I can remember but have never really bothered much with digital art. I'd like to change that by possibly looking into getting an iPad and Apple pencil.

I'm not new to Apple products considering I've been a user of iOS since like iOS 3 and I have a 7 year old Macbook. iPads however are new to me. I know for a fact I won't be getting a Pro as that's way to fancy and expensive. I also find the Air a little fancier and expensive than I need. So I believe it's between the iPad Mini or regular iPad. Anyone have either of these? Any generation is fine but please let me know which one(s) you've used and what you think about them.

I know the biggest difference in the latest models of these two are the following:
  • Screen size (mini is 8.3" regular is 10.2")
  • Processor chip (latest chip in mini while 2 year old one in regular) - honestly don't think this matters much considering my phone has a 3 year old one and I have no issues with it.
  • Apple Pencil support (Mini supports latest 2nd gen pencil, regular is 1st gen only)
  • Price (in my country the Mini is $220 more than the regular model)
I have small hands so I don't think the smaller size of the Mini would be a big deal but let me know if you think it really is a game changing difference.

Also I know little about the Apple Pencil. Is the 2nd gen one worth getting over the 1st gen one or are the new features not really a big deal?

Also any other iPad/Apple Pencil advice would be appreciated, thanks! :)

I am by no means a great artist, but I use an iPad Pro and 2nd gen Apple Pencil for art (Procreate) and colouring (random apps). In the past, I had the 1st gen pencil and an older iPad model. In my opinion, the design of the 1st gen Apple Pencil is awful. It's oddly shaped and hard to grip, which can be partially remedied with a silicone pencil cover (maybe?) but charging it is annoying because of the way you plug it in (and the fact that you have to keep track of where the tiny little cap and charging adapter piece are!). It felt too bulky for me especially with a silicone cover. You mentioned having smaller hands so I would keep that in mind!

I think the 2nd gen Apple Pencil is 10000000x better in terms of grip, functionality, charging, etc but getting the newer pencil likely means spending more on the iPad itself so I understand if it's not the best trade off. I imagine there are actual artists on here who will be able to better speak to the features imbedded in the 2nd gen pencil, but I can say with 100% certainty that it's more comfortable to use and less clunky/annoying to charge.

I am by no means a great artist, but I use an iPad Pro and 2nd gen Apple Pencil for art (Procreate) and colouring (random apps). In the past, I had the 1st gen pencil and an older iPad model. In my opinion, the design of the 1st gen Apple Pencil is awful. It's oddly shaped and hard to grip, which can be partially remedied with a silicone pencil cover (maybe?) but charging it is annoying because of the way you plug it in (and the fact that you have to keep track of where the tiny little cap and charging adapter piece are!). It felt too bulky for me especially with a silicone cover. You mentioned having smaller hands so I would keep that in mind!

I think the 2nd gen Apple Pencil is 10000000x better in terms of grip, functionality, charging, etc but getting the newer pencil likely means spending more on the iPad itself so I understand if it's not the best trade off. I imagine there are actual artists on here who will be able to better speak to the features imbedded in the 2nd gen pencil, but I can say with 100% certainty that it's more comfortable to use and less clunky/annoying to charge.

Thanks for the input on the pencil. If only they had a base model iPad that worked with the new pencil then it'd be a no brainer haha. Money isn't a huge issue but I also don't want to spend a ton on a hobby I just want to dabble in.

I’ve used both. I currently have an air and it’s really nice, but i use it for more things than just to draw with. The only complaint I have for 1st gen is the rechargeable cap I really haven’t noticed anything about grip. The biggest complaint I have about 2nd gen is that sometimes it doesn’t charge over the cover I have on my iPad, but it still sticks and charges most of the time. Procreate itself is a very easy app to navigate, Ive tried clip studio paint for iOS and it’s still built for a computer and it’s confusing to figure out the app, but amazing for manga and comic book styles.

Edit: I would like to add that for mobility 2nd gen is the best option being that it charges over the top very quickly so if you draw outside the house like I do because I’m always on the move then I’d recommend 2nd gen over first.

Last edited:
I’ve used both. I currently have an air and it’s really nice, but i use it for more things than just to draw with. The only complaint I have for 1st gen is the rechargeable cap I really haven’t noticed anything about grip. The biggest complaint I have about 2nd gen is that sometimes it doesn’t charge over the cover I have on my iPad, but it still sticks and charges most of the time. Procreate itself is a very easy app to navigate, Ive tried clip studio paint for iOS and it’s still built for a computer and it’s confusing to figure out the app, but amazing for manga and comic book styles.

Edit: I would like to add that for mobility 2nd gen is the best option being that it charges over the top very quickly so if you draw outside the house like I do because I’m always on the move then I’d recommend 2nd gen over first.

I might consider the Air now that I’ve been reading more about it. It’s more money than the Mini but I have come across an open box one that would be actually be $30 cheaper than a new unopened Mini.

I’d likely use it for more than just drawing as well considering I use my phone for just about everything despite it being small, and I find my old MacBook annoying to drag out so I usually don’t unless I have to haha.

Personally, as someone who has experience with using an ipad, and a computer, I would highly suggest if you have a computer to get a different kind of tablet, like a wacom tablet. I think its a far better choice. I find with the ipad, it's ok for simple styles that rely on the auto correction of the pen (so making premade curved lines for example) however, you have far more limited options otherwise. I think especially the cheaper lines of ipad are not great for artists. I apologise knowing its not the question you asked, however I personally had bought the best ipad pro on the market and the second gen pen, and found it to be..... really not good for the money paid.

Of course, your macbook may be also having difficulty running art programs, but this might be because apple products do not have very strong components.. I hope you can find a solution that works. I know a friend who does all his art only on his phone and he's very popular online ^^; so even with just a phone its possible to make art. But personally I don't think the ipad is worth the money at all. It's especially difficult to transfer your files in my experience if you want to send them to a customer or something.

Personally, as someone who has experience with using an ipad, and a computer, I would highly suggest if you have a computer to get a different kind of tablet, like a wacom tablet.
see I've also been debating about getting an iPad and an Apple pencil for drawing since I would like to start doing freelance commissions and illustrations, but I've also been recommended a drawing tablet like the Wacom Tablet. I just worry about the fact that there is a disconnect in that you can't actively see what you're drawing as you put the pen down, as if drawing on a tablet screen or a piece of paper. might take time to get used to and then it's fine, but I'm honestly not too fond of not being able to look at my pen and drawing at the same time lol. 🤷‍♂️

Personally, as someone who has experience with using an ipad, and a computer, I would highly suggest if you have a computer to get a different kind of tablet, like a wacom tablet. I think its a far better choice. I find with the ipad, it's ok for simple styles that rely on the auto correction of the pen (so making premade curved lines for example) however, you have far more limited options otherwise. I think especially the cheaper lines of ipad are not great for artists. I apologise knowing its not the question you asked, however I personally had bought the best ipad pro on the market and the second gen pen, and found it to be..... really not good for the money paid.

Of course, your macbook may be also having difficulty running art programs, but this might be because apple products do not have very strong components.. I hope you can find a solution that works. I know a friend who does all his art only on his phone and he's very popular online ^^; so even with just a phone its possible to make art. But personally I don't think the ipad is worth the money at all. It's especially difficult to transfer your files in my experience if you want to send them to a customer or something.

I appreciate hearing about the Wacom. It’s nice to know the options. My main reason for going the iPad route is portability. Also having a MacBook and an iPhone actually makes transferring files really easy wirelessly with Airdrop. I can understand it being more of a pain though if you are more of a PC user. I don’t plan on using my MacBook for art cause it’s a really old base model and not as portable as a tablet would be anyways.

I also don’t plan on doing any extensive super heavy projects. Just small doodles and whatnot for mostly personal reasons. I totally get the draw of the Wacom and have no doubt it’s a great drawing device. Just for me the iPad seems a better fit. I’d also use the iPad for watching videos and stuff too from time to time as I currently do it mostly on my phone and it’s tiny.

I really do appreciate your input though. :)

i've used ipad mini 5 and regular ipad (the 2018 one i think?) both use the 1st gen apple pencil.
I wear S/M gloves so... that's my hand size. I find the ipad mini's screen is too tiny for illustrations that are more detailed. A lot of zoom pinching is required and it can be hard to see certain parts of your work (especially when the drop menu in procreate is open). but simple vector type things are totally fine on it.

people have mentioned the apple pencil cap + the way it charges issue: on the ipad, i have it set up so everything is upside down - so the home button is actually on the top. and if you wanna charge the pencil you basically have it so it's like you're ready to jab people with it lol. that way it's not as awkward if you wanna use the ipad regularly. I have a case that has a snug slot for the pencil as well, so i just tuck the cap in there when the pencil is charging.

i do agree with other people about the apple pencil 2nd gen is much nice than the first tho.

see I've also been debating about getting an iPad and an Apple pencil for drawing since I would like to start doing freelance commissions and illustrations, but I've also been recommended a drawing tablet like the Wacom Tablet. I just worry about the fact that there is a disconnect in that you can't actively see what you're drawing as you put the pen down, as if drawing on a tablet screen or a piece of paper. might take time to get used to and then it's fine, but I'm honestly not too fond of not being able to look at my pen and drawing at the same time lol. 🤷‍♂️

I hope not to take up too much space bringing up an unrelated topic in a thread ^^;
I find its not difficult at all, but you don't look at your tablet at all if it has no screen, you only look at your monitor. It takes some getting used to but I find I don't think about it at all, in fact there's a benefit as naturally when you draw, your hand will cover part of the drawing and make a shadow too, but when your hand is working below and you look above to see the image, you don't have this problem. Personally, if you already have a pc that can run art software and mostly draw sitting in one place anyway, I would say look and try get a cheap or used wacom tablet and get a feel for it. For me atleast, I got the nicest ipad and accessories on the market thinking I'd like it, but in the end I just didn't. So I would say if possible try it out, as if you have a pc already it's a far cheaper option.

This might be too late, but I wanted to weigh in as someone who went from mostly traditional pencil/ink sketches to digital via ProCreate this year.
My gear:
  • iPad 6th Gen (9.7 inch)
  • Apple Pencil Gen 1

I do own CSP for my PC and have a Huion tablet (and before the Huion, a Wacom that served me for many years, RIP); the lack of portability and the learning curve of trying to familiarize with software and adjust the brushes as well as the disconnect of drawing on one space but watching the screen on another meant I almost never started art on the computer. The most important thing I've learned for myself is that I have to be willing to use my gear and to reduce the barrier to entry as much as possible (assuming ofc you have the funds; this may or may not apply to you).

I borrowed my sister's iPad Pro and Apple 2 Pencil, and the larger screen size didn't seem to matter to me, nor the processing power (though I do generate a bunch of layers in my current coloring method). I did like the 2nd gen pencil more, ergonomically, but otherwise I don't use the iPad to charge the pencils anyway; everything gets docked on separate chargers at night while I sleep. The 1st gen Pencil comes with a (male USB to female lightning) cable so you don't have to stick it out the butt of your iPad for charging unless you're desperate.

Procreate was life-changing for me. The gesture controls are so much more efficient, though I understand pressing Ctrl Z isn't really that hard, nor is mapping to the hotkey/buttons on the tablet. The massive brush library and content generated by the ProCreate community is fantastic. Finding resources is so easy. Mostly, I didn't like the feel of drawing with my tablets. The heft of the styluses were so... plasticky.

I like the idea of trialing some gear if you can get your hands on it. If you are within driving distance of me, I would totally drop off my Huion! XD

This might be too late, but I wanted to weigh in as someone who went from mostly traditional pencil/ink sketches to digital via ProCreate this year.
My gear:
  • iPad 6th Gen (9.7 inch)
  • Apple Pencil Gen 1

I do own CSP for my PC and have a Huion tablet (and before the Huion, a Wacom that served me for many years, RIP); the lack of portability and the learning curve of trying to familiarize with software and adjust the brushes as well as the disconnect of drawing on one space but watching the screen on another meant I almost never started art on the computer. The most important thing I've learned for myself is that I have to be willing to use my gear and to reduce the barrier to entry as much as possible (assuming ofc you have the funds; this may or may not apply to you).

I borrowed my sister's iPad Pro and Apple 2 Pencil, and the larger screen size didn't seem to matter to me, nor the processing power (though I do generate a bunch of layers in my current coloring method). I did like the 2nd gen pencil more, ergonomically, but otherwise I don't use the iPad to charge the pencils anyway; everything gets docked on separate chargers at night while I sleep. The 1st gen Pencil comes with a (male USB to female lightning) cable so you don't have to stick it out the butt of your iPad for charging unless you're desperate.

Procreate was life-changing for me. The gesture controls are so much more efficient, though I understand pressing Ctrl Z isn't really that hard, nor is mapping to the hotkey/buttons on the tablet. The massive brush library and content generated by the ProCreate community is fantastic. Finding resources is so easy. Mostly, I didn't like the feel of drawing with my tablets. The heft of the styluses were so... plasticky.

I like the idea of trialing some gear if you can get your hands on it. If you are within driving distance of me, I would totally drop off my Huion! XD

Your response is a little late but I still loved hearing your opinion on it. Thanks! :)

I just got an iPad Air 4 and Apple Pencil 2 the other day and so far I really like it. It lacks the power of the Pro but I don’t think that really matters to me either. I have yet to do an actual project but so far the tools in Procreate seem really intuitive so I don’t think it will take me long to familiarize myself with it.

I also bought a paper-like screen protector. It adds a tiny bit of distortion to the screen but has a really nice matte feel to it especially when using the Pencil almost like actual paper. I don’t think I’d like how slippery a smooth plastic or glass one would feel. I also bought one of those folio cases that has the magnetic screen cover and slot for Apple Pencil as the 2nd Gen Apple Pencil charges on the side of the device.

Back