• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Animal Forest N64 [Japanese Only]

Gabby

Ancient Member
Bells
White Pansy
White Pansy
Red Rose
Red Rose
Purple Violet
White Violet
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
Has anyone else on here snagged a copy of a Japanese N64 Animal Crossing? I'm sure this is common knowledge, but for those who don't know, GNC Animal Crossing is actually a port from the N64. But, N64 Animal Crossing was only released in Japan. I was able to snag a copy when I went a few years ago, and my husband modified his N64 so we could play the cartridge. When we loaded it up, the original town was still on there - the previous owner didn't wipe their copy before selling it. And when I load the town, it's perpetually New Years Eve, with the villagers and Tom Nook all outside and dancing. Kind of eerie. I had thought maybe I'd wipe the copy and play it with a new town, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Does anyone else have any experience with N64 AC?

Edit: Forgot it was originally called Animal Forest for the N64. Duh, doubutsu no mori.

Last edited:
It's ALWAYS New Years Eve?? That's so weird. I wonder if that's like, a documented glitch or something.
Anyway, I've never played animal forest not in an emulator and not more than 30 minutes.

It's ALWAYS New Years Eve?? That's so weird. I wonder if that's like, a documented glitch or something.
Anyway, I've never played animal forest not in an emulator and not more than 30 minutes.
Yeah, it's super weird. Maybe I can take some pics and post them here.

And yeah, that makes sense! It's not too different from GCN, lol.

have you tried changing the date to, say January 2nd to break the perpetual new years? If that won't work, then idk what to do, as I own GCN and haven't had this happen.

Regarding the Eternal-New-Year thing - it's very possible that the internal battery is dead. From what I understand, the regular save data is saved via EEPROM, but the clock is part of a separate battery which continuously consumes a little bit of power. If that's the case, you'd have to replace that battery for it to work again, or constantly change the date.

In terms of playing the game, I've only played this one a little! I was tempted to start a new game and start a journal here for a while. But I had issues with the clock as well, so sadly I never did.

I do have some experience with the original version, but N64 emulation has always been a bit iffy, so I didn't play for very long. It really does feel like a game in its beta stage when compared it to its enhanced ports.

I have this game and I used to play it on a regular basis for a few months. I don't know Japanese, but I do know how to read it, so I would simply type or speak the words onto Google Translate to figure out what's going on. I like this one because it has a lot of cultural Japanese things the other Gamecube versions don't have (like the shrine instead of a fountain) and because it's on the N64, one of my favorite consoles.

As for the New Year's thing repeating, this game doesn't automatically change the clock. Every time you load up the game, you have to navigate through the settings and configure the clock manually every time. Somewhat of a pain, honestly. That and only being able to store 1 item per wardrobe too.

Back