If you ever suffered STEALING! (read from post 88)

Met this guy on another forum, we chatted, did a few trades. Then Julian [he used to be a dreamie] announced his moveout. So i message said guy, ask if he can hold julian and then cycle to get him in boxes [cuz we had known each other for a few weeks now]. i trusted him. i actually trusted him. So he says yes. Trade was a success at first, he picked up Julian. But then I lost contact with him.

I later found out he had sold him.

Needless to say, I made his life hell.

In Animal Crossing: Wild World, I've been robbed a few times by one dude who attempted stealing but then corrected his act. I lost very few hybrids because of that.

I've never suffered from thievery in subsequent installments, mainly because I don't randomly add a lot of people to my Friend List. Though, I almost had one in Animal Crossing: City Folk. I've unknowingly registered a shady player from another town, and then eventually visited mine. During that moment, she almost never spoke. The last thing she said was "save" and then prompted to leave the town to force saving, which leads me to hit the POWER button to prevent the damage she could have done. The same person also apparently harmed other towns afterwards.

I'm surprised it didn't put you off here

I've never been a victim of stealing but my friend has. It's pretty low that you have to steal things you want, especially in a video game, a KIDS game no less.

I haven't been stolen from yet, but I keep an eye on just about every stranger who enters, just in case.

I remember a very close friend of mine accidentally shook a tree of perfect oranges, and called me over and apologized. Didn't even try to steal. She's generally an honest and nice person, so it was fine. I ended up giving them to her anyway.

I've never been stolen from before, but someone attempted to steal my bells on Club Tortimer once. This guy wanted to sell his crown for 100K and I took a chance and accepted his offer. I knew that I could just flip the wi-fi switch if something were to go wrong anyway. I went to get the bells and followed him outside. He told me to drop the bells on the ground right away and so I did. He picked them up and as soon as I saw him turn around to go back inside, I flipped the switch.

One last thing! I know from being active on the island a lot that younger people tend to act rude. Beg for bells, and constantly ask e.t.c but they don't mean to upset anyone. I was once the kind of person that treated bell beggers harshly because I thought they were genuinely trying to take advantage of me. (that does happen!) I have actually confronted the young people though and asked them about how they get treated on the island. Every. Single. One. Said they were bullied.

I get what you're saying. That's how I think too. It's really creepy that someone would say sexual stuff like that in a game that kids play (it makes you wonder) and it's really low that people would use CT for bullying others. I'm not afraid of finding people like that on CT since I think they're pathetic and I can flip the switch anyway, but it makes me worried for other people, especially the younger players. :(

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh wow reading all these stories makes me really nervous to let anyone in my town >.< I'm still pretty new here and I've done a few trades but it makes me so nervous hearing stories like this about people from TBT. I suppose I should be more careful >.>

Don't worry about it too much. :) You can check the wifi rating on their profile to read feedback left by people who have traded with them before and talk to them for a bit. If they've been around for a while, they're less likely to scam you and more likely to have lots of feedback. It may be unfair to new users, but there's always people who don't mind trading with them and it's your town.

If the worst happens and someone tries to steal from you, you can flip the wifi switch before they leave your town. That reverts things back to your last save (the one Porter makes for you when you ask to open the gates) so anything you've traded is gone, but at least whatever you had before will still be there.

Last edited:
It's never happened to me before. Make sure to check Wi-Fi ratings before letting someone into your town though. If one is negative, or they only have one or two ratings, it could be a scammer. c:

Early when I joined the forum, I invited some people over, 3 total. It was hard to keep track of them all because they scattered like sheep. One girl asked if she could take perfect oranges off the ground. I asked how they got on the ground. She said villagers sometimes shake fruit trees. I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT HAPPEN! But I told her she could have them. Then some Jacobs ladders and blue roses went missing. I told them, and then we all went searching for it, and the blue rose showed up in a RANDOM LOCATION so it became a game of "Guess Who Dunnit" out of the three of them, each saying they were innocent, and some demanding that the others confess! I didn't know about the Wifi switch back then.

I never allow more than one person in my town if I'm doing a trade or something, and if I'm dropping off a lot of items or not going to be able to pay attention I go to their town. I always check wifi ratings too and never let anyone in my town with a negative feedback. So far I've managed to avoid anyone stealing from me by doing that.

I just don't understand why someone would steal.. they can steal like what, two flowers before someone notices? That's like 5 TBT, even for hybrids, and you only need two to breed them yourself--sometimes only one and a normal flower. Tons of people let you have perfect fruit for free since its easily grown. I just don't get why someone would know this and steal.

Luckily most of the people on here are trustworthy, and most interactions are one on one when you do trades or drop off/pick up payment for something. Though I have had someone tell me they absolutely "have" to do the transaction at my town, and I checked their ratings and they were all negative with complaints of stealing like.. how do you think you're gonna get away with that now lol

i haven't had anyone steal from my town yet. :> i did have some unfortunate incidents on the island though with people harassing me and trying to "keep" me there even tho i know what to do (just hit the wi-fi switch) it's just really annoying and inconsiderate bc i just want to find certain items. <_<

I read this thread when it was first started and back then I thought, this would never happen to me. I don't have anything valuable and just brushed it off.

Since I was new, I added other new people and invited them to my town. I met a friend I truly trust and play with often. I let her in to my town to drop something off at the same time, I was trying to get rid of a lot of furniture so I invited people who wanted to come. There was a girl who replied so I let her in. I told my friend that I have to AFK to eat dinner for a while so they both said ok and left. I left my gates open thinking nothing bad would happen but when I returned, I saw the other girl running in my town then headed to the train station and left. I checked my town and saw that some orange tulips were missing. My blood started to boil and I felt so upset. I asked my trusted friend and told me that she left when I was afk and didnt return. So I suspected the other girl.

That other girl kept going to other towns that day and another user I met had some of her rose hybrids stolen and asked her about it. I told her about my experience and she told me she suspected the same user. We both deleted her FC and she seems inactive now. I don't see her anymore.

My trusted friend brought me what little hybrids she had to replace what was missing and some more. Since then, I became more cautious with other players and I learned how to properly breed hybrids. My friend also had her hybrids stolen from people she met on FB and I gave her some of mine. Haha. You have to be cautious at first but a lot of people here are really kind :D

Kinda awkard that Animal Crossing New Leaf never had this read-only option, like in Word documents where you can only come over and not interact with the enviroment.

When I invite someone over I always think to myself, what is the worst that could happen? I make peace with that situation and then invite someone over. For me the worst that can happen is that someone steals and I now generate an image of how people are based on the actions of one stray individual causing me to get tense in future interactions with people.

It's also kind of awkward how, even though it's a game, I have felt tenseness before when I visitted someone elses town. You know... when someone else follows you around to watch your every move. It's awkward and certainly not the kind of atmosphere I want in my own town. I prefer for nothing to get stolen, but if it does... ah well... Worst thing that can happen in my town is hybrids disappearing I guess and it won't turn my world upside down.

Last edited:
Kinda awkard that Animal Crossing New Leaf never had this read-only option, like in Word documents where you can only come over and not interact with the enviroment.

Dream towns are sort of like that, people can visit your town but can't change anything about it.

When I first joined this forum, I was VERY reluctant to hand out my friends code. I still am. But I now know many counteractive measures I can take whenever something bad happens, which is good.

My biggest worry actually is being portrayed as someone who steals things. I have not yet received a negative or neutral review, but I feel like doing so would kind of be the 'end-all' to this forum. I don't do any sketchy things, but I am always afraid of getting a negative review if I don't open my town gate fast, etc. I don't know. I can come off as a ditz sometimes.

I've never experienced stealing myself, but I've heard of numerous users getting items stolen, so I'm sure I'll become bait eventually. At least I've become more cautious and careful of who visits my town. It must be horrible to get things that you worked hard for taken away from you! I'm sorry // u n u *hugs*

When I first joined this forum, I was VERY reluctant to hand out my friends code. I still am. But I now know many counteractive measures I can take whenever something bad happens, which is good.

My biggest worry actually is being portrayed as someone who steals things. I have not yet received a negative or neutral review, but I feel like doing so would kind of be the 'end-all' to this forum. I don't do any sketchy things, but I am always afraid of getting a negative review if I don't open my town gate fast, etc. I don't know. I can come off as a ditz sometimes.

I feel the exact same way. When I first joined these forums, it was really my first time actually interacting with people I didn't know online, and there's all kinds of cyber-bullies out there. Now I'm pretty comfortable with it, but it's safe to always keep your eyes peeled!
As for the reviews, I'm slightly worried about those too, because anyone could just say, "Oh, you won't let me take that hybird? I'll give you a negative review," and other users will look at that without taking time to realize that it may have been a mistake. :( //sigh Then again, you could always report that specific user to a mod, so it kind of works out. n u n )

Last edited:
I have in City Folk I was running around and I found a peach I didnt have peaches so I wanted to get it. I very stupily put my silver net on the ground to pick up a peach the person who was in my town came running behind me and grabbed it. I explaned that it wasnt for them but they denied all knowledge of even seeing a silver net. I decieded not to get to wound up about it so then I went to their town only to see my net sitting on the ground. I knew for a fact they didnt have a silver net as they had only started the game the other day. So I asked how did they get the silver net so soon and they got very angry and made me leave so I esumed It was my net.

I've never had things stolen. I've only ever played multiplayer with IRL friends, so I'm at pretty much no risk. The only sort of 'grief' I've gotten is my friend planting some trees in the 'wrong' place, but I left them where he put them anyway. Made my village a little bit more 'unique'.

But yea, I think that AC should do some sort of 'security check' for people in your world.

Like, maybe before they leave your village, an 'update' screen comes up saying how many flowers have been trampled or how many trees cut down during their visit, where they're 'not allowed' to leave until you've given it the okay. If it was something you're okay with, you'll be fine with it and send them on their way. If they where being ****s, you can disconnect without losing anything.
An inventory check as well that lets you see exactly what's in their inventory as they arrive and before they leave. That way, you know exactly what they did and didn't have before they came and what they potentially stole.

It should be an easy feature to implement and would save much hassle.

Back