I Think My Game is Trying to Make Me Reset.

Le Ham

now please I will accept the money-payment
Bells
Island
Espera
White Cosmos
Yellow Cosmos
Easter Egg
Yoshi Easter Egg
The Bell Tree Fair 2013 Patch
I've had my town, Stardust, since July 18, the day that I first got the game for my birthday, and it was a town I never reset, because of nostalgic villagers I got that I remembered having in my Wild World. Those few starter villagers (Samson, Agent S, and Anchovy) were the reason I didn't want to reset again, and also the one and only reason I have dreamies. So Stardust was the town I got on my first startup of the game, and to this day it's a town I'm extremely proud of. I've had pretty good luck in Stardust, like finding popular villagers in my campsite so I could give them to someone else when they move away, but my luck is beginning to run out.

Now I've had a total of 3 unplanned move-ins; two were because I forgot to save and quit before 6 AM. The third one happened today. I had 9 villagers, and the game gave me an unexpected move-in today by Monty. I've never had this happen before, neither have I gone to another town in the past few days, so I'm stricken with shock and despair.
Usually I try to make the paths work around villagers (like I've done with the other two who landed their butts in hopeless places) but I don't want to fix this one. It just can't be made better in any way. I know I can fix it, but it'll never look as good. And the game is just going to try to make him stay as long as possible anyway.
HNI_0029.JPG
If this is what normally happens, then why should I have to make a new character every single day just to make sure no one moves in on a bad spot? It doesn't make sense. It's cruel and unfair. It makes me wonder why Nintendo invented ground paths if they know full well that a villager could ruin it at any time?

I've done so much to my town and I'll be sad when I reset it. All the trees and bushes I planted, all my PWPs and patterns, the villagers I care about, they'll all be gone. Everything I've put my time and effort into since I picked the game up 7 months ago, every day I played to make and keep it beautiful, it'll just disappear. Unlike most people who reset, I love my town, but if my game is going to give me joy and pleasure and then months later make me sad and angry, it might as well make me sad and angry first, THEN give me joy and pleasure.
Furthermore, I've agreed to give someone Wolfgang when he moves out and I don't want to break that promise by resetting. Wolfgang's been so good to me and it hurts to see him voided, along with all the villagers I've gotten to know and love over the half-year I've been playing. I don't know how long it'll take to make a town as memorable as Stardust was to me, but the game is instilling the philosophy that towns are only meant to be good for the first few months you play them; then it only goes down from there.

I'm being a bit more whiny about this than usual, I know, but at this point my game seems to want to screw me over even more than it has. And besides, some people reset because the grass isn't the right shape.
So, the obvious question: is resetting a good idea? Is resetting, after 7 months of hard work and extreme dedication, even worth it, over villagers being absolutely careless about their house plots?

Last edited:
Did you let someone into your town? That'll bring wifi moveins too. You absolutely can't do ANYTHING with wifi, including streetpass, while you have nine villagers, unless you know for certain that the other person has already passed on all their voided villagers. I'm in a similar situation right now with nine villagers, and it sucks because I want to do trades and stuff but I can't until I get a replacement for the normal who left.

I wouldn't reset, not the way you describe your town, which you evidently love. Even if you hate the guy who's moving in, well, he'll leave sooner or later, it's just a matter of time. I'm fairly sure it'd take you less time to wait him out than it would to redo all your work!

I wouldn't reset over one villager. Just kick him out of your town.

I am sorry you have to feel this way. Like the previous post said. Just go ahead and make friends with them, they will move out eventually. They re not exactly bad ( no villagers are designed to be bad) they just physically ugly to you. Like you mentioned about the paths you have made. I, too, applied them to my villagers that I hope and waiting for them to be out , once they re out I have lots of work to redo some path and rearrange flower. About creating new characters, it can be done anytime of the day as long as you haven't login your mayor yet(or any save characters) and check if they have plotsomewhere you don't want to. If that is unavoidable move in, is alright really. All the villagers will at least once, mention they re moving out. Just be friend with them so that when they ping you about it, and you say goodbye, they won't change their mind and continue stay, which I believe make you feel more upset. Don worry about the villagers =D

Last piece of advice, if the game make you feel so sad, leave it for like a day or two, play other games and cool down yourself, cheer up with a piece of delicious snack or something else, game are meant to let you unwind and enjoy~ So don get so stress over it, everything has a solution =)

Last edited:
I wouldn't reset over one villager. Just kick him out of your town.

The villagers aren't my only problem. There are plenty of things about my town I'd like to change (my mayor's name and gender, for example) that I could only do by resetting. It's just a main point I use, since almost everyone else who resets uses the same excuse. On top of that, I don't TT unless I absolutely need to, so kicking him out's gonna take a while. Sure, I could do the "talk to him once, ignore, and wait a week" thing, but I hear that it doesn't always work. And I certainly don't have the room for a third character to do the kicking. I'm already trying to get Gabi out of town.

Last edited:
Dear PotatoMuffin, I would never even think about Re-starting My Town. I have played everyday since getting the game on June 10th, 2013, And yesterday my first ever Villager moved out, It was Barold, I hated to see him go, he never pinged me to tell me he was leaving. But I was able to get him to move into my other town so I really didn't lose him.
I have 4 different towns and 3 Ds's I go to one of my other towns when My Town Starts to get to me, which I can actually say isn't very often.
I also still have my original City Folk town with 2 of my original villagers, who have been in Capstown for 5 years 2 months.
And Wild World, I have my original town too but must say all of my villagers have moved to other places.
I do suggest as one of the other posts suggested step away from it for a bit. And think about your Museum, and all the work and HOURS you have put into your game.
Buy another game card if you really want to restart a town.

Last edited:
Okay. Thanks, guys. I'll keep going with it. (It's just gonna be awhile before I update my dreamtown... :p)

The villagers aren't my only problem. There are plenty of things about my town I'd like to change (my mayor's name and gender, for example) that I could only do by resetting. It's just a main point I use, since almost everyone else who resets uses the same excuse. On top of that, I don't TT unless I absolutely need to, so kicking him out's gonna take a while. Sure, I could do the "talk to him once, ignore, and wait a week" thing, but I hear that it doesn't always work. And I certainly don't have the room for a third character to do the kicking. I'm already trying to get Gabi out of town.
If you are that unhappy with it maybe it is time for a fresh start. Or you could buy a second copy of the game if possible and start a new file there, that way you can keep your older town as well.

Why would you want to reset because of one villager? They will move out in a few weeks if that, and your game will go back to how it was before they moved in. I think resetting over this is a silly idea if you've put so much work into your current town.

Personally, I don't find the villagers ability to move anywhere as being cruel and unfair. I think of them as a means to freshen up my pathways and change things around a little bit. If you are unhappy with your town, by all means, reset.

I'm not sure why you would want to resort to resetting either. Why not go with time jumping instead? All one would have to do is to skip a couple days, talk to villagers for keeps, and rinse-repeat for a few more times until the move. This is better than restarting the whole map, transfer items (if you want to), and taking risks of getting more unwanted whatever. That is, unless I am mistaken with time-jump and reset definitions of this forum...

Reading this made me so happy that I have 10 villagers I love and am keeping for as long as I continue to play the game!

Don't reset you'll regret it
had my town since the 23rd July and as much as i get annoyed sometimes, i will keep it..
Just remember, the villagers are a natural part of the game who will move in and have been since gamecube, all the designing and paths on the floor are not... you're the one working around the game mechanics not the other way around

Last edited:
Yeah animal crossing is supposed to be a natural and unpredictable game - that's what keeps it fresh, they're not being cruel. If you don't like that then that's your problem

Back