• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

I really do not like when people try to make animal crossing scary and dark.

I like when people try to make scary towns/houses, but that's because it's using the game's own boundaries (it's very fun how creative people get to create a certain effect!)
But ywhen people try to claim that AC (or any other cutesy game) is actually dark it's kinda cringe. Coming up with scary stories/creppypastas is a hobby for some, but when they try to make it real/serious, it ends up coming off as goofy.

Last edited:
I like when people try to make scary towns/houses, but that's because it's using the game's own boundaries (it's very fun how creative people get to create a certain effect!)
But ywhen people try to claim that AC (or any other cutesy game) is actually dark it's kinda cringe. Coming up with scary stories/creppypastas is a hobby for some, but when they try to make it real/serious, it ends up coming off as goody.
Yeah, I love those Halloween houses because in my opinion they are actually kind of cute and I love how people get so creative using the items!! But then when peple do that stuff like you said its just... not good lol

i agree, to a certain extent. horror-themed towns fascinated the heck out of me in new leaf (with aika village being my favourite of all time), and i loved reading about them and visiting them. i also enjoy reading dark lores and backstories people come up with for their towns/islands, the occasional creepypasta, and dark headcanons people come up with for certain characters as well.

but like @/michito said, people who try to make animal crossing seem like it’s genuinely some sort of horror game in disguise are annoying, and i’m not interested in that type of content at all lol.

Yeah;

If You want to make Animal Crossing Scary; make Indie horror games based off of it;

don't make the ACTUAL Games themselves dark & Edgy; that's what INDIE HORROR GAMES ARE FOR!!

And Honestly; I'm Really sick of the Fandom's Smear Campaign against the Lovable Tom Nook; i'm sick of people painting him to be the bad guy; when that couldn't be further from the truth; If anything, I'd say that Crazy Redd is the TRUE Main antagonist of the franchise

If He were REALLY The Monster the Fandom likes to paint him as; He wouldn't have given you as much time as you needed to pay his loan; He'd give you a deadline & charge you late fees & interest; which he doesn't

and The Prices are VERY Reasonable; Considering that 1 Bell Equals 1 Yen[since the in-game Nintendo switch costs the same in the game; as the Nintendo switch itself did in Japan back when New Horizons was made; ¥29,980 and you can't beat a price for a Big Old house; than a Price like $38,190.51 in United States Dollars; and that's after all of the upgrades individually;

YOU can't find a house ANYWHERE near as Affordable IRL these days; and especially not a Fully Upgraded House like the one you get by Paying off the entire loans for each & every upgrade to your house!!

I don't like it either, but it seems to have died down a lot over the years. There was a period of time where people were insistent on finding some edgy theme in everything. I was so tired of hearing about people's headcanon and then YouTubers passing it off as some creepy theory or critical media analysis.

I love creepypastas and horror style town/islands that have a story behind them, but it's all fiction. I don't like it too when people try to make a cozy game, created to enjoy a small village and your animal friends, canonically horror. There are some things that are a bit... creepy in the Animal Crossing series, like the gyroids or Boondox, but they are small things that are never even given an explanation, everything is left to the imagination and interpretation of the player

Idk I think it's cool when it's done right but I can get not liking them if they're really cheesy

This reminds me of the time I stayed up late as a child watching a horror take on animal crossing on YouTube - that was traumatic 😂

Personally I would never make MY town/island whatever in to a horror or creepy theme but I always appreciate good story telling through decorating so if someone does that with a spooky spin then I can respect it.

I like “spooky” but not “scary” themes of that makes sense. Making your house goth, graveyards, decorating with random skulls and skeletons…that’s fine but when people take it too far, it’s not my thing.

I'm tired of the horror-themed Animal Crossing, as well, it's overused, and it doesn't fit with the overall tone of the game.

It's already bad enough seeing people compare Villager from Super Smash Bros. to a serial killer.

Creepy/dark towns are a mixed bag for me. They can be really creative or too over the top. Like I love those "abandoned" feeling towns but I guess those could be considered more unsettling than creepy. Towns with a story to tell can pretty interesting too.

Other types of horror can be cool if done right but if everything is just bloody for no reason it really turns me off from it. At the end of the day, Animal Crossing itself has some pretty spooky elements to it so a creepy theme wouldn't be too out of character to an extent imo.

I don’t think I’ll ever do it, but it’s still interesting to see what people can do. As long as they’re actually creative and not just stupid. I don’t really like creepypastas in general because they’re usually filled with bad writing or excessive gore and become unintentionally comedic (if you’re a TV Tropes reader, then what I mean is that they’re full of Narm and Nightmare Retardant).

But it really shouldn’t be a surprise when things like this happen. People will warp almost anything from what it originally was because it’s the internet.

I’m not into horror but I like the creativity other players show and seeing what they come up. I do agree maybe some people take it too far. At the same time, I don’t visit other people’s islands a lot or visit dream addresses much so, by doing that I avoid feeling uncomfortable.

I find the horror themed towns interesting around Halloween but that's really it. I agree. Animal Crossing is a fun, relaxing and wholesome game that shouldn't really pump you with adrenaline. In New Leaf, I did visit famous horror towns like Aika but they just weren't for me. I also have to admit it. I see items, like the dolly, and music, like Hypno K.K., in a completely different way now. However, despite being interesting, they didn't really fit in the world of Animal Crossing. Villagers in those towns are never aware of horror themes so trying to fit the horror theme sometimes feel a little forced.

Although I understand not caring for them, I think horror towns are so complex and amazing! It takes an unreasonable amount of skill to make such a lovely and light-hearted game genuinely feel more serious.
I always think of Aika village and how amazingly the creator managed to tell a story without using any words at all - they just used what the game gave them.

To be fair though, I used to have a horror town in ACNL and my favourite KK Slider song is Hypno KK so Im probably biased.

I don't mind people using in-game assets for a horror theme or such, but people who try to make everything have some sinister meaning behind it are antithetical to the heart of creative works

even when there is some underlining meaning, they fail to grasp it and tend to just go dark for dark without any real critical thought as to why dark (and the dark they end up going for tends to be way off any actual dark elements provided), due to being too busy self-serving their own fantasy edgeworld

basically, these people need help
Post automatically merged:

always think of Aika village and how amazingly the creator managed to tell a story without using any words at all - they just used what the game gave them.

there were some words though for the new leaf version of aika, in the form of the aika character dialogues as well as scattered fortune cookies providing more context clues

it stands up well enough on its own and this is something that the majority of the non-japanese playerbase will miss, but saying it doesn't use any words at all is just flat-out wrong as well. there was clear effort put into even the few textual portions the creator had control over, and saying that they didn't utilize purely due to an inability to understand and thus likelyhood to gloss over is honestly kinda disrespectful to their efforts

Last edited:
Back