• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

I need your advice on villager home placement. [DECIDED!]

Spooky.

Lonely Heart
Bells
Holiday Candy Cane 2021
Black Famous Mushroom
New Horizons Token
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Mint
Blue Candy
Green Candy
Leif
Poptart Easter Egg
I finally decided what to do with my space. I'm going to do 3 on the left of retail, 3 on the right of the plaza, then the remaining 4 below the river. The whole row of 4 above the river I'm going to nix, since they block re-tail and such. I'm gonna make a nice tree path there instead.
This way I have villagers all over my map instead of being smushed, and leaves less wide open, dead space.

Okay, since you guys are always the best and are super creative, I'd like your ideas and opinions. I restarted a town a few days ago and I found a fantastic map. It has a lot of rocks but they're in decent places, oddly enough. So, now that you can block villagers moving in with paths, naturally I covered my whole map in squares and made spaces only where I want my villagers to move in. However, I'm not 100% sure I want them where I'm planning them, as it leaves a ton of wide open areas that I have no clue what I could do with.

So this is my map:
15622230_384016828600902_3625760529908938962_n.jpg

The two yellow stars are my two permanent villagers, everyone else is moving out.
The white stars are where I was planning my spots for new move-ins.

Two rows of four above and below the river, and two houses to the right of the plaza.

However...I was also considering doing two to the left of retail in the space next to the river (even to the other two straight across the plaza), the two on the right of the plaza, and two above the river, and leave the four in the bottom row. But even then I'm not 100% sure.

If I knew what to do to fill all the empty space I wouldn't mind, but I feel like it leaves everything shoved in a bottom corner. Working with where the two permanent villagers are placed, how would you guys line up your villagers?

(The little area under my mayor's house is going to be another characters house, and to the right of town hall is where I'm putting the cafe. The campground and the police station are going in the strip above the mayor's house)

Sorry the stars are uneven/odd sized. It was hard to adjust them all properly on my tablet, but they're supposed to be totally even. Also the yellow stars are kind of hard to distinguish, but they have black scratchy lines around them x-x

Last edited:
Oh wow, that map looks amazing!

I think it would complicate things if you placed your villager's homes next to Retail. The game is still weird about bridge placements. I wouldn't risk it unless you were 100% certain potential bridges wouldn't be a problem to add or to wait until after you made your bridges. I imagine your town is pretty new (unless Nook bought your town) so getting PWPs would be a pain.

I think having the villagers to the side of your plaza would be cute and having it as you mapped out would look good. Having a vertical bridge to the left of the river lake would look great, especially since you plan on making a character's house in that area. It would make a cool entrance to your side character's house imo.

Last edited:
I actually love the way you've planned it out ^_^ You could always figure out how to fill out the space later. I'm sure there are lots of PWPs and plants that would make the town beautiful and look full. I love the look of villager houses lined up!

Oh wow, that map looks amazing!

I think it would complicate things if you placed your villager's homes next to Retail. The game is still weird about bridge placements. I wouldn't risk it unless you were 100% certain potential bridges wouldn't be a problem to add or to wait until after you made your bridges. I imagine your town is pretty new (unless Nook bought your town) so getting PWPs would be a pain.

I think having the villagers to the side of your plaza would be cute and having it as you mapped out would look good. Having a vertical bridge to the left of the river lake would look great, especially since you plan on making a character's house in that area. It would make a cool entrance to your side character's house imo.

Thank you, I am so in love with the map.

It's hard to tell because my starred areas are kind of wonky, but there is room for a bridge (or should be if the game doesn't hate me) next to the river pond, the only reason I started to question my house placement is because I'd have to go around behind the villager houses to get to re-tail.

That's why I thought of placing two on the left hand side instead of having the row of four along the river.

If it were my town, I wouldn't allow any houses that close to the south side of the river, because they block the view when you're trying to fish.

Save the extra space for pwp, build a little park, or build orchards. I just finished a path and I'm building orchards right now. I'm also working on an area with just hybrid flowers.

If it were my town, I wouldn't allow any houses that close to the south side of the river, because they block the view when you're trying to fish.

I'd still have plenty of room elsewhere to fish, and honestly I so rarely fish that I don't fuss that much over it anyway.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Save the extra space for pwp, build a little park, or build orchards. I just finished a path and I'm building orchards right now. I'm also working on an area with just hybrid flowers.

I just feel like it's almost too *much* extra space. It doesn't look like it in the picture, but there is a ton of room and I honestly have no clue what to do with it. Makes me wish we could have more villagers now.

wow that map is absolutely PERFECT you lucky soul
i like how the villager's are placed with the stars!

Nice Plan!
I wouldn't know what to do, so I'd scramble them across town. :p

If I were you, I'll try to arrange them in a reverse L-pattern around the town plaza (5 horizontally and 5 vertically. The ones where you put stars and two permanent villagers are located). There is still enough space even if you place one or a few above the bridge. Just a suggestion :)

If I were you, I'll try to arrange them in a reverse L-pattern around the town plaza (5 horizontally and 5 vertically. The ones where you put stars and two permanent villagers are located). There is still enough space even if you place one or a few above the bridge. Just a suggestion :)

Sadly the L wouldn't work because of rocks

Sadly the L wouldn't work because of rocks

Oh welll... but even then you probably still have a lot of space especially on the east part? I guess you'll have problems under the town plaza but I'm not sure since I wouldn't know where the rocks are located. I initially planned to suggest to put all horizontally on the south part of your map but you wouldn't wanna move out the two villagers. If anything else, the areas where you originally put the stars still looks perfect or most likely the way to go.

Back