• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How do you play your Open World games?

How do you approach games as open as Tears of the Kingdom?

• Immediately go to the latest-game area you can and looting it for the best equipment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i do as much as i can before completing the main game, i do it with a lot of games if there's ever any kind of side-quests to it. i like to get the most out of my first playthrough as i can.

Open world games, I just kinda follow the quests. Doesn't matter if they are main or side quests, I do them both. I also try to explore the area I'm currently in, but I'm not strict about it. sometimes some things aren't accessible or unlocked right away in open world games anyway(due to a skill to solve a puzzle or whatever). Also, I am one of those people that no matter the game I play, I click on every npc in existence. It is a habit that carried over from playing Pokemon so much growing up. Plus it's nice to learn about the world I'm exploring.

If I'm playing with others, this drives them crazy because they play differently. They like to do main quests only and fly to the areas that give better equipment. And they don't read anything. Them not reading drives me crazy because they often go uhh idk where to go or what we are suppose to do when it was explained or hinted in some npcs dialog they blew through or neglected. Or they end up missing an item of some sort because they didn't talk to a random npc.
We balance each other out I suppose LOL. :) And we still have fun.

This is why I (usually) don’t play open world games. I have to check this spot or pick up that item because I’m scared I’ll either forget about it or never find it again because open worlds are HUGE. It overwhelms me real easily.

I usually follow the main story, only deviating from said path rarely or after I've finished all the current main story.

i feel like mine is more akin to: acknowledge and cherry pick from the main plot points that i want to do at certain times and follow a narrative that only makes sense to me. on those and on random side quests i am a completionist, but on some main plot bones i am an any %er 🤣

I try to follow the plot, get distracted in two seconds by 'ooh, what's that in the distance?' try to make my way over and again turn another direction because 'ooh, what's that in the distance?', and before I get there-- Okay you can see where I'm going with this. I just get lost exploring and eventually end up where I need to go....usually.

I wouldn't say I actively avoid the story, but even when I try to follow it I am easily distracted by virtually anything and everything I come across. A simple two minute walk from one point to another can easily turn into two hours of exploration and messing around.

I've only played one or two open-world video games as far as I know, but in those games, I pretty much religiously followed the main story, or at least the closest thing it had to one. Maybe I did a few sidequest-y things and exploration here and there, but mostly following the main story to a T.
I'm not too big on open-world games in case it wasn't obvious.

Back