• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Highlights of the Decade

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
It’s now dead week, the time when the last of the major holidays is over for the year. Since it’s the last year of the decade (and the last week of the year), I would like to share some highlights of the decade. I will go over each year, what were my favorite and least favorite events were, what movies I find to be the best and the worst, and what ideas I find to be bright or stupid.

The 2010s Decade is the decade of the Internet. While it has expanded over the years, this decade was when it was more prominent. Social media going mainstream, e-commerce becoming more popular, internet taking over our daily lives, and internet even solving problems or making problems worse. It’s also a time when people are moving towards private and more convenient services (like YouTube videos and forum posts replacing gaming guides, Amazon replacing public retail stores, Uber replacing taxi, Grubhub replacing most catering services, Airbnb replacing hotels, Hulu replacing cable TV, and digital stores replacing video and game rental stores).

It is also the decade of the smartphone. Because it can do anything, it basically killed many gadgets by making then obsolete. CD Players, alarm clocks, maps, pagers, and newspapers, you can say goodbye to them. Calculators, cameras, and flashlights, they still have use, but only to professionals that specialize in them. Books and watches, found a way to survive over the years. But what’s even crazier is that it’s not just replacing gadgets, but many lifestyles too. The smartphone might also be responsible for the demise of kids meal toys and indoor playgrounds.

Without further ado, here are my comments about each year:

2010:

Despite 2010-2012 being completely different to 2017-2019, we’re still in the same decade as the year of the Gulf Water Horizons Oil Spill and the passage of Obamacare. It’s hard to believe that it’s been that long? Here’s what I have to say about this year:

• Favorite Event: Apple releases the iPad
  • Least Favorite Event: Censorship of South Park’s 201st Episode
  • Best Movie: Toy Story 3
  • Worst Movie: The Last Airbender
  • Best Idea: The iPad
  • Worst Idea: Everybody Draw Mohammed Day
  • Biggest Disaster: Gulf Water Horizons Oil Spill
2011:

2011 was the best year (for both my personal events and large-scale events). It was the year Osama bin Laden was finally killed, the year we withdrawn troops from Iraq, the year the Nintendo 3DS came out, and the year of my high school graduation: Here’s what I have to say about this year:

• Favorite Event: Osama bin Laden’s defeat
  • Least Favorite Event: Anything about the Westboro Baptist Church
  • Best Movie: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 2)
  • Worst Movie: Jack and Jill
  • Best Idea: The Nintendo 3DS
  • Worst Idea: Occupy Wall Street
  • Biggest Disaster: The Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami
2012:

Before the year began, one of the biggest discussions about it was the end of the world and the Mayan Calendar coming to an end. This was one of the most popular end-of-the-world prophecies, but it shouldn’t have any meaning today. Despite that, it was a horrible year (even if we were to count inventions like the Wii U, PS Vita, and Windows 8). Here’s what I have to say about this year:

• Favorite Event: End of the World (not really the end)
  • Least Favorite Event: Sandy Hook Massacre
  • Best Movie: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
  • Worst Movie: Foodfight
  • Best Idea: Gravity Falls
  • Worst Idea: Boycotting businesses based on political beliefs
  • Biggest Disaster: Hurricane Sandy
2013:

This is when we’re starting to transition to today’s era. The next four years was the heart of the decade, and 2013 started it all. Social media was on the rise, and there were many crazy events in the winter and summer. Here’s what I have to say about this year:

• Favorite Event: White House responds to the Death Star petition
  • Least Favorite Event: Paula Deen gets fired
  • Best Movie: Frozen
  • Worst Movie: After Earth
  • Best Idea: Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  • Worst Idea: Using someone’s past to punish people
  • Biggest Disaster: I couldn’t really think of one. Maybe the DC shooting.
2014:

Another year I liked when it came to personal events, but it was the worst year when it came to large scale events (and it’s all because of one event). It was also a time Disney’s Frozen was huge, and it lasted a while. Here’s what I have to say about this year:

• Favorite Event: The 2014 Midterm Elections
  • Least Favorite Event: The Ferguson Riots (and the Grand Trial)
  • Best Movie: The Lego Movie
  • Worst Movie: The Nut Job
  • Best Idea: The Ice Bucket Challenge
  • Worst Idea: The Frozen Frenzy
  • Biggest Disaster: Flight MH 370 gets lost
2015:

Back to the Future II took place that year. While it looked futuristic in the movie, the world still looks quite modern. It was also when South Park began mocking on the PC Culture, and when Star Wars got a digital release. Here’s what I have to say about this year:

• Favorite Event: The Jar Jar Binks troll trailer of The Force Awakens
  • Least Favorite Event: Deflategate
  • Best Movie: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  • Worst Movie: Fifty Shades of Gray
  • Best Idea: McDonald’s Breakfast All-day Menu
  • Worst Idea: Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival
  • Biggest Disaster: Paris bombings in November
2016:

2016 was the most exciting year of the decade. It was the year of the US Presidential Election when Donald Trump won, which was also the year of the Brexit vote, Pokémon Go, those celebrity deaths, and South Park’s most serialized season (Season 20). Here’s what I have to say about this year:

• Favorite Event: Cubs win World Series
  • Least Favorite Event: 2016 Election Protests
  • Best Movie: Zootopia
  • Worst Movie: Ghostbusters
  • Best Idea: Regional variants in Pokémon
  • Worst Idea: Making countless memes about Harambe
  • Biggest Disaster: The Orlando Shooting
2017:

Now we’re starting to get to the more recent times. After the heart of the decade has ended, we’ve entered a time when Donald Trump became the president. While it was a good year for sports and video gaming, it was also a bad year for politics and film. Here’s what I have to say about this year:

• Favorite Event: The 2017 Solar Eclipse
  • Least Favorite Event: The Charlottesville Attack
  • Best Movie: Coco
  • Worst Movie: The Emoji Movie
  • Best Idea: Helping out people that suffered hurricanes
  • Worst Idea: Making movies based off of everything
  • Biggest Disaster: Hurricane Maria
2018:

2018 was one of the worst years of the decade (for personal events), but it was one of the better years for large-scale events (at least in politics). For media and literature, not so much. Here’s what I have to say about this year:

• Favorite Event: Kavanaugh gets confirmed as Supreme Court justice
  • Least Favorite Event: The Red Hen Restaurant incident
  • Best Movie: Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse
  • Worst Movie: Peter Rabbit
  • Best Idea: NFL’s National Anthem Policy (which wasn’t implemented, unfortunately)
  • Worst Idea: Tide Pod Challenge
  • Biggest Disaster: Hawaiian Volcano Eruption
2019:

And here we are, the end of the decade. We are transitioning into the 2020s, and this year ended the 2010s. Here’s what I have to say about this year:

• Favorite Event: Galaxy’s Edge opens up
  • Least Favorite Event: The Covington High School Controversy
  • Best Movie: The Lego Movie: The Second Part
  • Worst Movie: I haven’t paid too much attention to film this year, so I don’t know.
  • Best Idea: Texas’s Chick-Fil-A Bill
  • Worst Idea: Using the White House petitioning system to ban sales of Pokémon Sword and Shield
  • Biggest Disaster: The El Paso Shooting
Overall:

That it for the summaries of each year. It’s been a pretty interesting decade. I wonder what the 2020s decade will bring. Anyway, these are the stuff I can say for the entire decade.

• Favorite Event: Osama bin Laden’s defeat
  • Least Favorite Event: The Ferguson Riots
  • Best Movie: Coco
  • Worst Movie: The Emoji Movie
  • Best Idea: McDonald’s Breakfast All-day Menu
  • Worst Idea: The Tide Pod Challenge
  • Biggest Disaster: Hurricane Maria
If you have any questions, feel free to comment.

Just wanted to comment and say I enjoyed this read a lot! Really helped put a different perspective on things. Though I wish you were able to come up with a worst movie from this year, XD. Great blog nonetheless and looking forward to more in the future! :)

Thanks!

I would also like to mention that I don’t have any problem with anybody drawing a picture of the Muslim prophet Mohammed. Mocking on religion though is a completely different thing, as I would not tolerate mocking on any religion, whether or not it’s yours. That’s the problem with Everybody Draw Mohammed Day. The purpose of that 2010 event (and a second annual event in 2011) is to spite Islam, not show that we have freedom of speech, and even if it is to show freedom of speech, it still hurts all Muslims, not just the extremists that make up less than 1% of the religion’s population.

Back