• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Have you ever lied about your age online in New Leaf for a reason or just not to tell?[close thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeeeeap. Tell me about it lol. We were all just like... why... why can't you make friends your own age? That's almost like 10 year gap.
Well sometimes people are not always going to make friends with someone their age because it could be hard for that person with older people or younger people.

Good thing my friends are not like that, like Mr. Persona and discord buddies....well idk about discord ppl. Hard to trust them.

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say this; not everyone who talks to kids is a creep, not everyone who chooses to not disclose their age is a creep. I have no qualms talking to kids because I am not a weirdo. I also typically choose to not disclose my age, why? because I feel like it has nothing to do with the game. I also prefer to be friendly to everyone so I honestly don't want my age to become an issue. Then again I mostly play offline by myself to avoid any confrontation or whatever, as it's less trouble that way. Anyway I didn't want to say anything, but I couldn't sit back and see the OP get hounded on.

Let me also say this; I know this world is full of sickos, I get that... but to go around and accuse everyone who conceals their age on video games as creeps isn't the answer. People like me and OP get the shaft, while the real creeps hide under the radar undetected. So yea definitely think before you accuse people of being creepy, remember the saying "innocent until proven guilty". Unless someone gives you a reason to be like wow that person is messed up, don't go the route of hoovering over them like a pack of hyenas to tell them just how bad they are. I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Trust me I don't like weirdos one bit, but I also realize not everyone who plays with kids are weird. In a game like this you are bound to meet a kid or teen - it just happens. Also some people like myself don't really fit in with people close to our age. Chicks my age want to date around with men, go to the mall, get their hair and nails done... while I just prefer to read my Bible, hangout with the fam, and play AC. So what I am saying is... some people don't gravitate towards people their age and that's okay, there's nothing wrong with that.

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say this; not everyone who talks to kids is a creep, not everyone who chooses to not disclose their age is a creep. I have no qualms talking to kids because I am not a weirdo. I also typically choose to not disclose my age, why? because I feel like it has nothing to do with the game. I also prefer to be friendly to everyone so I honestly don't want my age to become an issue. Then again I mostly play offline by myself to avoid any confrontation or whatever, as it's less trouble that way. Anyway I didn't want to say anything, but I couldn't sit back and see the OP get hounded on.

Let me also say this; I know this world is full of sickos, I get that... but to go around and accuse everyone who conceals their age on video games as creeps isn't the answer. People like me and OP get the shaft, while the real creeps hide under the radar undetected. So yea definitely think before you accuse people of being creepy, remember the saying "innocent until proven guilty". Unless someone gives you a reason to be like wow that person is messed up, don't go the route of hoovering over them like a pack of hyenas to tell them just how bad they are. I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Trust me I don't like weirdos one bit, but I also realize not everyone who plays with kids are weird. In a game like this you are bound to meet a kid or teen - it just happens. Also some people like myself don't really fit in with people close to our age. Chicks my age want to date around with men, go to the mall, get their hair and nails done... while I just prefer to read my Bible, hangout with the fam, and play AC. So what I am saying is... some people don't gravitate towards people their age and that's okay, there's nothing wrong with that.
hi!! there’s nothing wrong with concealing your age but [lying] to minors and pretending to be their age just isn’t right. as other people mentioned, some people aren’t allowed to actively play with or aren’t comfortable playing with people that are a lot older than them, let alone someone who is a full fledged adult. it’s true that not everyone online is a creep, but how can you really tell? since there ARE many creeps out there, people want to be cautious and most minors would rather stick to their own age group when they’re playing online. that’s why people feel betrayed and uncomfortable by this post, it causes distrust and suspicion. lying about one’s age is being disrespectful to those people and their privacy, and i’m pretty sure no one would want their kid playing with an adult stranger, whether you’re a creep or not. it’s different from coming across a minor while doing a trade, seeking out younger people to be friends with and lying to them just doesn’t feel right. no one is trying to be rude or mean, it’s just that knowing someone who you play with online and think is your age could be much older than you can be scary and uncomfortable. hope you understand :>

hi!! there’s nothing wrong with concealing your age but [lying] to minors and pretending to be their age just isn’t right.

Not trying to argue, so please don't take this the wrong way... I agree with you lying isn't okay, but again people need to realize that there's reasons other than just being a creep why people conceal or even lie about there age. I typically conceal my age, but I won't lie I have fibbed a few times in the past (not saying that's okay). My reasons for fibbing were simple; I have various mental disorders that I suffer daily with along with being on the spectrum, so all of that makes it honestly hard to socialize with people around my age. Like I said above people my age typically aren't sitting around playing video games, drawing / colouring, and into geeky things like herping and holding bugs. Also I had a REAL messed up childhood, I didn't get to be a kid for long so I kind of don't act my age to be quite honest about it. So again I have no qualms with hanging out with kids and teens. I would never - ever hurt a child, and I would be devastated to be accused of such a thing, that's why I had to say something on this thread - because again not everyone is a weirdo.

Also I get that there are parents who don't want their kids playing with adults or whatever, but there's a solution for that... monitor them, cut the internet part out. Because with Animal Crossing there is going to be various age groups playing this game, so kids and teens are more than likely going to be in some form of contact eventually with an adult. I will also say this; as long as someone isn't asking for a childs age, where they live, and making suggestive remarks I wouldn't think they're being weird. Basically people like me shouldn't have to worry what others are thinking. What I mean is; I have played with kids before and it does cause me anxiety to think that someone out there could see that as being weird, when I am just simply gaming with anyone no matter their age.

I don't care how old anyone is, if they need a friend or someone to talk to I won't think twice about - I will help them out.

Before moving far away I was very close to a couple of my cousins - they were just kids at the time and I saw nothing wrong with getting on their level and playing toys or video games with them. In my late teens I had a friend (my late mom dated their grandpa) who just became a preteen, I even stayed the night (numerous times) at their house and played video games with them - there was totally nothing weird about it. Yea people may find that odd and I don't care about what they think because I know nothing ever or would ever go down like that, I am just a very friendly person who likes to just chill no matter the age.

I am putting myself out here - out in the open - because I couldn't let OP take the heat for something that I know all too well... Trust me I am sure people will misconstrue and form opinions based on this post. It took a lot for me to step up, but this hits close to home... Being friendly to all ages doesn't = creep, well unless you are a creep which I doubt OP is.

Last edited:
Not trying to argue, so please don't take this the wrong way... I agree with you lying isn't okay, but again people need to realize that there's reasons other than just being a creep why people conceal or even lie about there age. I typically conceal my age, but I won't lie I have fibbed a few times in the past (not saying that's okay). My reasons for fibbing were simple; I have various mental disorders that I suffer daily with along with being on the spectrum, so all of that makes it honestly hard to socialize with people around my age. Like I said above people my age typically aren't sitting around playing video games, drawing / colouring, and into geeky things like herping and holding bugs. Also I had a REAL messed up childhood, I didn't get to be a kid for long so I kind of don't act my age to be quite honest about it. So again I have no qualms with hanging out with kids and teens. I would never - ever hurt a child, and I would be devastated to be accused of such a thing, that's why I had to say something on this thread - because again not everyone is a weirdo.

Also I get that there are parents who don't want their kids playing with adults or whatever, but there's a solution for that... monitor them, cut the internet part out. Because with Animal Crossing there is going to be various age groups playing this game, so kids and teens are more than likely going to be in some form of contact eventually with an adult. I will also say this; as long as someone isn't asking for a childs age, where they live, and making suggestive remarks I wouldn't think they're being weird. Basically people like me shouldn't have to worry what others are thinking. What I mean is; I have played with kids before and it does cause me anxiety to think that someone out there could see that as being weird, when I am just simply gaming with anyone no matter their age.

I don't care how old anyone is, if they need a friend or someone to talk to I won't think twice about - I will help them out.

Before moving far away I was very close to a couple of my cousins - they were just kids at the time and I saw nothing wrong with getting on their level and playing toys or video games with them. In my late teens I had a friend (my late mom dated their grandpa) who just became a preteen, I even stayed the night (numerous times) at their house and played video games with them - there was totally nothing weird about it. Yea people may find that odd and I don't care about what they think because I know nothing ever or would ever go down like that, I am just a very friendly person who likes to just chill no matter the age.

I am putting myself out here - out in the open - because I couldn't let OP take the heat for something that I know all too well... Trust me I am sure people will misconstrue and form opinions based on this post. It took a lot for me to step up, but this hits close to home... Being friendly to all ages doesn't = creep, well unless you are a creep which I doubt OP is.
your situation seems valid and totally understandable, but before the thread was edited, op said that they “just like hanging out with younger kids” and try to find younger people to become friends with, as well as lying about their age. this was what made people start commenting, because it didn’t seem right and it made some people uncomfortable :> you seem like a kind person, it’s good that you were able to find friends here ! everyone on this thread was just voicing their opinion because it’s just not normal to pretend to be a minor when you’re way over 18 as well as seek out minors to be friends with :> thanks and goodbye :>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back