• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Happy Home Designer - Frequently Asked Questions (Got a question? Look here!)

Is the order of villagers' appearance random? I've noticed from Let's Plays that it begins with the same villagers but I'm not sure if after that it becomes randomized as to who comes to your town.

Is the order of villagers' appearance random? I've noticed from Let's Plays that it begins with the same villagers but I'm not sure if after that it becomes randomized as to who comes to your town.

Yes, at the start there is an order but later on it's random

Last edited:

The playthroughs I've watched from various players always have Goldie the dog as your first proper client, followed by Lopez the antelope. After that it looks to be at least moderately random. One streamer who plays daily has two games going on: one for her stream and one personal game, and she's been encountering different villagers in her two games.

Based on what you describe, it sounds like the answer is yes. Here's how it (generally) works in HHD:

You start the day by entering Nook's homes and are greeted by Lottie. From there, you can either call a villager on the amiibo phone (summon with an amiibo card) or go out onto the main street to see who's there. While you're out there, you can visit any public buildings you've designed or select your next client. If you'd rather visit a villager you've designed for already, you can do that too.

Once you've either summoned or chosen a client (or decide to redesign a home), your workday begins.

When you've finished, you return to Nook's Homes and it's nighttime. At that point, you can wander outside and explore main street/visit buildings, or visit a villager for fun.

Either way, after you're finished, you write a report in Nook's Homes (i.e., save) and the day ends. If you want to keep playing, your next workday begins.

And voil?! That's the basic version of how it works. Hope that helps!!

Thanks for helping out. I can't wait until this game comes out here in the US.

I came to the thread to find out whether or not I should bother designing houses for villagers I don't like. This definitely helped, thanks!

Yes, make sure you do! The only way to complete the catalg is to design for all of them, and some entire series seem hidden away behind random characters. (I haven't seen or heard of any character other than Tammy unlocking the spooky series.) Though most sets are unlocked by more than 1 villager.

The start is always similar. It's not completely random it's out of a selection of villagers until you design the school and Carrie's house. (designs 5 and 6). Then whoever was randomly in your beginning selection will continue to show up pretty often. ~ I held off designing for Jeremiah for ages, and ended up doing his house just so that there would be more choice!

It seems to me that it continues to be a selection after that. I've designed 120 houses/buildings and even reset and reload to get different villagers multiple times, I'm pretty sure of the 500+ villagers that have appeared now there are well over 100 villagers I haven't even seen yet. I've also noticed the villagers that randomly wander New Town's buildings tend to ask for houses more often. So it looks like it's a reverse of the 16 villager cycle where they appear on main street on NL. But there's maybe 30 odd characters, and something (I'm guessing every time New Town expands), causes a load to get shuffled out for new ones every so often.

That's just a theory, but Beardo, Monique and Eloise all stopped appearing (they kept coming back for ages!) once I unlocked the bottom area of new town. And I recently got the music hall area open and suddenly I have loads of new faces in town. I'm now noting the ones I see and am going to design the ones I want, and then unlock the hotel area and see if it notably changes again.

Last edited:
Added a section on playthroughs and a tiny table of contents up top.

As ever, let me know if there are additional questions that you think should be added or clarifications. Thanks to all for your Qs and to those that are already playing for sharing their wisdom!

I'm so excited, AC:HHD is coming out soon! But anyway, do you have a list of all the new villagers coming in the game?

Is it possible to relocate a villager to a different plot of land? For example, you move Pekoe to the beach but later want her house in the mountains. Likewise, can the season of their land plot be changed at will? Thanks!

Is it possible to relocate a villager to a different plot of land? For example, you move Pekoe to the beach but later want her house in the mountains. Likewise, can the season of their land plot be changed at will? Thanks!

Yes you can do this after you complete the initial house you can either upgrade it, completely move it, or both ^^

I'm so excited, AC:HHD is coming out soon! But anyway, do you have a list of all the new villagers coming in the game?

Hi Eve! A couple of lists have been floating around, including an image that supposedly shows all villagers that might appear in game, but it hasn't been possible to confirm whether or not it's real.

The closest thing we have to a definitive list shows regular villagers only (i.e., it doesn't include any special characters like Lottie, Isabelle, Tom Nook, etc.). It's a series of photos posted by one person, showing all the regular villagers they were unable to unlock just by visiting Main Street, not using any amiibo cards.

Currently only Carrie is new and able to be designed for. But data for charcters in the thread linked above exists and *should, hopefully* be unlocked on the 16th.

Would you consider 14 packs of Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer amiibo cards to be one item if they are in the same order?

Just a quick question not sure if this been asked or not, but can you put patterns like you can in new leaf using qr. Will this be available for the new game .

Giving this thread a sticky as we're just one week from launch now. I think it's proven to be helpful and this can be used as a the official question asking thread like in the New Leaf board. :)

Would you consider 14 packs of Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer amiibo cards to be one item if they are in the same order?

I don't really understand this question, sorry. One item for what?

Just a quick question not sure if this been asked or not, but can you put patterns like you can in new leaf using qr. Will this be available for the new game .

Yes, you can use QR codes.

Giving this thread a sticky as we're just one week from launch now. I think it's proven to be helpful and this can be used as a the official question asking thread like in the New Leaf board. :)

Yay! This thread has all the best answers for some of the more common questions so that's great news! Thanks Justin. And Voluptua has done a great job maintaining it :) As well as everyone else being so happy to help answer peoples questions.

I'm not sure what you mean by item? It would be considered 14 items contained in one order. Still 14 items though I would think.

Oh wow! This is exciting! Thanks for the sticky, and thanks again to everyone who's supplied answers and asked questions. This is a collaborative effort and wouldn't have nearly as much information if it weren't for everyone here.

I've added a couple of new Qs: one about series 2 amiibo cards, plus a small new section about the Happy Home Network. It's just a quicky/shorty for now, with more thorough answers forthcoming.

If anyone wishes to make corrections, clarifications, or suggest additions, please do!
Enjoy, everyone!

This isn't a question so much as something I've noticed while watching playthroughs and haven't seen noted anywhere else. Although villager houses aren't next to each other like they are in New Leaf, and you can't walk between them, you can see them in the background when you're choosing which plot of land to use for the next one, if that plot is either near to, or the same as, a house you've already designed. I've been watching Jennifer Christensen's videos on YouTube, and I've noticed in later videos that houses show up between the trees in the background. Right at the beginning, in the earliest videos, they don't (at least, not that I noticed). Can anyone who's been playing the game confirm that the houses in the background do match houses they've already designed, and if so how you get to see them in the background of another villager's house? Is it only if you use the same plot again or a plot in front of that house? I'm guessing it must be the same plot, because some have more than one house in the background.

Last edited:
Back