Happy Home Designer - Frequently Asked Questions (Got a question? Look here!)

Can anyone who's been playing the game confirm that the houses in the background do match houses they've already designed, and if so how you get to see them in the background of another villager's house? Is it only if you use the same plot again or a plot in front of that house? I'm guessing it must be the same plot, because some have more than one house in the background.

Great question! Id love to know the answer

This isn't a question so much as something I've noticed while watching playthroughs and haven't seen noted anywhere else. Although villager houses aren't next to each other like they are in New Leaf, and you can't walk between them, you can see them in the background when you're choosing which plot of land to use for the next one, if that plot is either near to, or the same as, a house you've already designed. I've been watching Jennifer Christensen's videos on YouTube, and I've noticed in later videos that houses show up between the trees in the background. Right at the beginning, in the earliest videos, they don't (at least, not that I noticed). Can anyone who's been playing the game confirm that the houses in the background do match houses they've already designed, and if so how you get to see them in the background of another villager's house? Is it only if you use the same plot again or a plot in front of that house? I'm guessing it must be the same plot, because some have more than one house in the background.

Come and watch the stream live sometime, Dizzi Paradise! The chat is pretty fun and friendly, though goes at a fast pace.

If no one answers before tomorrow, we can ask Jennifer during her stream.

Also, Jinglefruit posted an image showing all map tiles, and it looks like the ones to the south of the town (which is in the centre) have houses in the background, which leads me to wonder if some of the plots are actually "town" plots and the houses are there from the beginning. But let's see what folks say.

I'd love to join in - but I'm in the UK, 8 hours in front of PST. So when Jennifer is streaming, I am asleep!

I actually went right back to the beginning, and the first house you choose a location from the map is Carrie's, on Jennifer's second video. And there are houses in the background of at least one of the locations (see 51.25 on that video). So I guess there must be houses there already!

I'd love to join in - but I'm in the UK, 8 hours in front of PST. So when Jennifer is streaming, I am asleep!

During the week, she streams twice a day, including at 11 a.m. her time, which might work better for you.

In other news, am going to update the main post with info about twitter hashtags (including Japanese hashtags), so people can check out the action on twitter, which sometimes includes some great new QR codes.

There are maps that have houses in the background just as decoration, and it isn't dependent on whether or not you've built anything. I posted a grid of the maps from my guidebook and I know for sure C8, D4, D6 - D8, E7 - E8, F6 - F8, and G7 have houses in the background but the others don't. These are all tiles close to/around Tanuki's Housing (Sorry, I can never remember the English name) and kind of represent the town.

Thanks for adding the Twitter hashtags to look through, it's exactly what I was looking for :)

On the topic of Twitter though, I could have sworn I saw in one of the promo videos that you can direct-tweet a screenshot taken from the game. Is this true?
I read through the first page of the FAQ, I'm sorry if I missed this is any of the pages in the thread ><

Questionnnn! Are there going to be Amiibo cards for seasonal characters like Pave, Jack, Jingle, etc.? I really wanna keep the events tradition going in HHD since I'll be able to have little parties with Amiibo cards ^^

Questionnnn! Are there going to be Amiibo cards for seasonal characters like Pave, Jack, Jingle, etc.? I really wanna keep the events tradition going in HHD since I'll be able to have little parties with Amiibo cards ^^

Yes there are (or will be) cards for the seasonal Special NPCs, though not all will be available right away. If you check out the amiibo card section of the first post in this thread, you'll find links to Nintendo of America's site showing all the cards in Series 1, and to Nintendo of Japan's site showing a number of the cards in Series 2 (the ones they've revealed so far). Not all Special NPCs are included in these first 2 series of cards--the others will likely be in Series 3 and 4.

P.S. the holiday/seasonal furniture is unlocked by specific regular villagers (e.g., Tammy the bear unlocks the Hallowe'en series), so you won't have to wait for the Special NPCs to get your hands on the furniture.

Last edited:

Pave, Jack, Jingle, Zipper T. Bunny, Franklin, and Blanca will have amiibo cards. Blanca and Jack are already confirmed in Series 2.

Beat me to it!

Last edited:
I suppose it will be a nice, temporary distraction game when NL gets a bit dull, but I doubt I'll spend too much time on it. The thing I love most about AC is cultivating friendships with other villagers. Still excited to see it :)

Another question; Will there be a clock at the bottom of the top screen? Or anywhere? It might be handy if your parents limit you to a specific amount of play-time.

Another question; Will there be a clock at the bottom of the top screen? Or anywhere? It might be handy if your parents limit you to a specific amount of play-time.

No there is not, but there's nothing stopping you from sticking a clock in a house to check the time as you play. (or even pressing the home button) I nearly always include a clock in my designs anyway.

Last edited:
No there is not, but there's nothing stopping you from sticking a clock in a house to check the time as you play. (or even pressing the home button) I nearly always include a clock in my designs anyway.

Oh yeah I forgot about the home clock!

Back