• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Happy Home Designer - Frequently Asked Questions (Got a question? Look here!)

Is play coins the only way to unlock those things? o:
I mean, I have loads but I think much less people in Europe and America take their consoles out than in Japan so we would all have and use play coins less.

You use the play coins to unlock the ability to customize, then you can customize items for free :)

There's roughly 10 things to unlock, and they are mostly either 1 or 2 play coins. I just sat here and shook my 3DS for a minute to get 2 play coins for customization :p

Last edited:
Is play coins the only way to unlock those things? o:
I mean, I have loads but I think much less people in Europe and America take their consoles out than in Japan so we would all have and use play coins less.

just sit and shake your console xD

Can you edit/re-design houses later?
Since you unlock new options task by task I will probably want to change and add new stuff to previously designed houses all the time.
I'd have to save my favorite characters for the end otherwise lol

Can you edit/re-design houses later?
Since you unlock new options task by task I will probably want to change and add new stuff to previously designed houses all the time.
I'd have to save my favorite characters for the end otherwise lol

You can redesign the house or start from scratch with the placement :)

Are there placeable stairs in the room rather than near the door?

This thread should be stickied :eek:
I want to know if villagers have random dialogue when you talk to them or do all they mention is about their house

Are there placeable stairs in the room rather than near the door?

This is a great question! I did some digging online but couldn't find an answer (yet)--but we can also ask Mint, mirukushake and 19cookies, who are all playing the game and might have gotten far enough to be able to answer this. I'll pose your question in Mint's thread, as we're getting some good details there, and see if anyone can answer.

This thread should be stickied :eek:
I want to know if villagers have random dialogue when you talk to them or do all they mention is about their house

I'm not sure about random dialogue in their homes (another question for our friends who are playing!), but there are gameplay videos out there that show the player interacting with animals in hospitals and shops; one player was verbally translating the dialogue and it was specific to the environment they were in. For example, speaking to villagers in the hospital waiting room, they were talking about not feeling well, while the doctor commented that their patient should feel better soon. In a shop, a villager was commenting that she wanted to buy something, but then under her breath (slightly greyed-out dialogue), she mumbled that the stuff was rather expensive.

I just noticed a couple of things;
- You should probably change "NPC" to "Special NPC". because NPC includes villagers, too.
- The 7-11 horse isn't named Shigou. Shi is the word for number 4 in Japanese (which is Rocket's Japanese name), so their name would either be Shichigou, Nanagou, 7 gou or Number 7 (7 gou or Number 7 would be most fitting, as the 7 in their name is romanized, and not in Japanese, so there's no reason to pronounce it in Japanese).
- The Australian card packs have 3 cards, not 6.

I just noticed a couple of things;
- You should probably change "NPC" to "Special NPC". because NPC includes villagers, too.
- The 7-11 horse isn't named Shigou. Shi is the word for number 4 in Japanese (which is Rocket's Japanese name), so their name would either be Shichigou, Nanagou, 7 gou or Number 7 (7 gou or Number 7 would be most fitting, as the 7 in their name is romanized, and not in Japanese, so there's no reason to pronounce it in Japanese).
- The Australian card packs have 3 cards, not 6.

Thanks Jake.! Got it.
- Changed "NPC" to "Special NPC" but gave a few examples, so as not to lead people to think there are additional, new, "special" NPCs (well, aside from Lottie, that is). I wonder if there's a term for this type of NPC...we should create one. It's like fixed NPCs (the ones that are routinely around and have a fixed, permanent role) vs. variable NPCs (like the villagers, who are randomised).
- Changed 'Shigou' to 'Number 7' (And I should've caught the 'shi'! I know just enough Japanese to count to 10, plus I learned important words while I was there like 'ichigo' and 'suripa', which come in handy so often! well okay not really)
- Fixed the # of cards in a pack for AU.

I wonder if there's a term for this type of NPC...we should create one. It's like fixed NPCs (the ones that are routinely around and have a fixed, permanent role) vs. variable NPCs (like the villagers, who are randomised).

The "official" terms would be "Regular"and "Special" as those are the words Nintendo used to describe the amiibo card packs contents, but Villager and Special Character make more sense to people.

Nevermind - I found the answer to my question in the thread. :)

Last edited:
is this game worth the price tag? it looks fun, but to me it looks like once you play for awhile it could get boring and repetitive. it does add a lot of cool, new content, i just don't know if it looks like its worth it

is this game worth the price tag? it looks fun, but to me it looks like once you play for awhile it could get boring and repetitive. it does add a lot of cool, new content, i just don't know if it looks like its worth it

That seems like a personal decision that's going to be different for everyone. I was skeptical at first (before E3), but after seeing more coverage, I've decided it looks totally worth it to me and I'm going for it! The ability to redesign and expand villagers' homes (so you can go back and muck around with a home you've already designed) is a big selling point for me.

To help you determine whether it's something you'd enjoy, check out some videos and definitely check the screenshots that people are posting in this forum (plus check out the info in Mint's gameplay thread). One of the biggest questions you can ask yourself is how much you enjoy deco-ing in AC games and/or how much you enjoy visiting dream towns to check out what others have designed. If it's something you spend a lot of time on or something you'd like to get more into, HHD could be worth it to you. Since you can technically play without buying the amiibo cards, you could pick up a copy, try it out, and if it really isn't for you, you could probably sell it pretty easily and quickly.

I wasn't excited when I saw the game trailer on the direct but as time passed and more gameplay info revealed I became more and more hyped and finished buying the Japanese copy of the game. I have no regrets and I think it totally worth it.

Hello! Anyone knows how to restart the game? I didn't like how I decorated the school and I want to replay again :)

Thanks!

Back