• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Getting a 2nd switch?

Will Nintendo bring a new console soon or support the Switch for a couple more years ?

• They will bring a new console

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Switch will be supported for a couple more years

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters

Sara?

Bells
Switch
3003-5452-4153
Island
Cala
Vesta
Tortimer
Lucky
Coco
Ruby
Lobo
Mint
Isabelle
Leif
Pavé
Do you think it makes sense at this stage to get a new switch ? I mean nintendo tends to make a new console every couple of years but im not sure this time. Do you think they will support the switch for a couple of years ? For me it feels a very solid and well founded console, but i am mot sure, so i am afraid to buy the new oled switch in case they go for a new console generation. All of this is due to ACNH 🤣 because i would love to have a second island without having to delete my original island. What you think?

honestly, the OLED is really nice. in terms of a gaming system itself, i would say it's worth it (better gaming experience and made with sturdier materials) and it feels like it will last longer than my old ACNH edition switch. so! i would say, like me, you could acknowledge that they maybe will come out with a new one (but it could be heavily delayed as a result of poor sales and supply chain shortages), but that it will still support switch model games and the switch itself is a reliable console to have.

😭😭😭😭😭 that means im not getting the switch i rather wait for the new one to come .

Thats a true bummer 😩.
It doesn’t sound like you’d rearly rather wait for a potential new console. The OLED switch is actually really nice, and the battery life is pretty impressive. Now that I have one, if given the choice between it or a potential new console that likely won’t use the same cartridges (because money grab) I’d MUCH rather keep my OLED and not have to restart my collection at this time.

That being said, do whatever makes you happy, not what other people think you should do.

New console early 2024 imo 👍 late 2024 at the latest

It'll be backwards compatible though so will work with acnh still dw!

Bear in mind that even if a new console is potentially in the works (I believe I remember reading a headline earlier about some design documents being leaked, but I didn't click on anything to see the details), we still have no idea exactly how backwards compatibility will work for it. Even if it does support backwards compatibility, it could still be... uh... terrible, due to poor emulation, incompatible hardware, and a number of other factors. So it could still be worth it to get a second unit if you really want another one. But unless you have infinite money to toss around, I'd advise you to take every avenue you can to save on it. Buy secondhand, don't go for the most expensive models, go for the lowest asking price.

For me it feels a very solid and well founded console, but i am mot sure, so i am afraid to buy the new oled switch in case they go for a new console generation.
Even if things were currently perfect, the main three are going to be pushing out new consoles routinely because they rely on that revenue. The main reason it appears at a glance that the Switch is exempt from this is only because this current console cycle has been particularly odd due to the pandemic and the chip shortage. As a result, The PlayStation 4 is still getting games today, despite the PlayStation 5 having been out for almost three years at this point. This is likely the situation that Nintendo is trying to avoid before they unveil any new hardware.

Bear in mind that even if a new console is potentially in the works (I believe I remember reading a headline earlier about some design documents being leaked, but I didn't click on anything to see the details), we still have no idea exactly how backwards compatibility will work for it. Even if it does support backwards compatibility, it could still be... uh... terrible, due to poor emulation, incompatible hardware, and a number of other factors. So it could still be worth it to get a second unit if you really want another one. But unless you have infinite money to toss around, I'd advise you to take every avenue you can to save on it. Buy secondhand, don't go for the most expensive models, go for the lowest asking price.

Even if things were currently perfect, the main three are going to be pushing out new consoles routinely because they rely on that revenue. The main reason it appears at a glance that the Switch is exempt from this is only because this current console cycle has been particularly odd due to the pandemic and the chip shortage. As a result, The PlayStation 4 is still getting games today, despite the PlayStation 5 having been out for almost three years at this point. This is likely the situation that Nintendo is trying to avoid before they unveil any new hardware.
Thanks for the extensive explication very interesting.

In a nutshell i believe you are right i should just be patient and wait for the next generation to come, although i must admit that i am sad that they released the oled switch after i had bought mine already, but yeah ill have to be rational and watch my economy for the next one, although if the next gen does not come with a release to another AC game i will not buy it.

I bought the switch only due to AC tbh

I'm thinking they'll continue to support the Switch for at least several more years, so right now I don't think it's worth it. I certainly don't want to replace mine.

I saw an article not too long ago saying a new console is coming 2024. Hoping for backwards compatibility or I'll probably pass on it for a while.

Back