• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Games You Regret Buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can try getting refunds on games even if it's over 2h, it'll prob get denied but for some things they do actually give later refunds. Like iirc No Mans Sky was refunded to people even if they had way over 2h and I think they might be lenient on technical difficulties too.

Not quite the case, re: No Man's Sky.

They actually don't do 'freebies' like that very often anymore. They did at the start, mostly for games you bought ages before they finally added a refund policy. But now you pretty much have to be within the 2 hours/14 days deadlines.

Both of those.

Playtime 2 hours or less.
Purchased within the last 14 days.
Zero exceptions - even for the absolute trainwreck of false advertising and blatant lying seen with NMS. :^)

izwa5WC.png

Not quite the case, re: No Man's Sky.

They actually don't do 'freebies' like that very often anymore. They did at the start, mostly for games you bought ages before they finally added a refund policy. But now you pretty much have to be within the 2 hours/14 days deadlines.

Both of those.

Playtime 2 hours or less.
Purchased within the last 14 days.
Zero exceptions - even for the absolute trainwreck of false advertising and blatant lying seen with NMS. :^)

izwa5WC.png
Hmm I could have sworn. Honestly I'd still try even if it'd get shutdown just to try. Pretty funny that they had to put that up for NMS though.

Last edited:
Also being almost done with Yoshi's New Island's main story (not doing the 2p games cause I don't know anyone with the game) I can say I regret it that even though it only was like, a bit over 20 bucks. I mean I love the art style and certain new elements to it but the fact that they abuse the gyro so much (especially if you wanna do all the collectables hunting) and doesn't really add to the replay fun at all. Most flowers and red coin are in those pesky gyro areas and/or just place where you absolutely not will get them anyways.

So yeah unless you are a hardcore fan of the series, don't get it unless you love annoying "challenges".

Definitely Pok?Dex 3D Pro. I think it's pretty self-explanatory why I think that.

I'm still sad I bought Five Nights at Freddy's on Steam. It was like, two bucks but still. I could've bought a pack of Skittles with that two bucks.

I somewhat regret buying the entire Bioshock franchise. BEFORE SOMEONE GETS MAD AT ME YES I KNOW HOW GOOD OF GAMES THEY ARE. But I tried playing the first one so many times and I just found it so unsettling. I'm not the kind of person who likes horror games/movies and I found it hard to play because I was just so damn spooked. And I really tried to like it because I've heard time and time again what a good series Bioshock is! I think I spent a pretty decent amount of money on the bundle too so I kind of regret buying it since I never play them. Same goes for buying the entire F.E.A.R. franchise, although I didn't technically buy those (got 'em in another bundle with other games). They're just legitimately 2spooky4me.

Also being almost done with Yoshi's New Island's main story (not doing the 2p games cause I don't know anyone with the game) I can say I regret it that even though it only was like, a bit over 20 bucks. I mean I love the art style and certain new elements to it but the fact that they abuse the gyro so much (especially if you wanna do all the collectables hunting) and doesn't really add to the replay fun at all. Most flowers and red coin are in those pesky gyro areas and/or just place where you absolutely not will get them anyways.

So yeah unless you are a hardcore fan of the series, don't get it unless you love annoying "challenges".

My brother HATED Yoshis New Island! He bought it because he loved the original game but he hated the challenges you're talking about. He also hated the OST since it was basically the same tune done differently over and over which lead to the frustration of losing. XD

Godus... one of the creators of Black and White (a great game from the late 90s) promised to make a great game called Godus. Hyped me and many others bought the game while it was in alpha. 3 months after the alpha was released, the creator stopped updating or responding to user complaints. A year later he made a mobile version of the alpha game, and didn't update it past it's first release.

Yoshi's New Island was an almost instant regret of minE. After five minutes of game play I figured out that it was a young child's game... So brought it back to the store and luckily I got a full refund. Thank you GameStop!

Last edited:
NBA 2k16. I bought it cause I tried out NBA 2k15 out on Playstation Now, and was beating the hell out of it and my friend who religiously played the series (she got pissed off), but 2K16, I didn't enjoy it as much.

Then Elder Scrolls Online. I don't like MMORPGs, so I don't know why I'd like this one even though it was a ES game

Last edited:
Not a game I actually bought myself, but. Still a waste of money.
Someone gave me "Flower, Sun and Rain" as a gift. Cryptic, weird, incomprehensibly broken little game for the DS. I really honestly tried my hardest, but I still never got over the first "puzzle" and abandoned it completely :p
At least I got really into the opening tune...

Last edited:
Fire Emblem Fates. It was an okay game but wasn't really impactful. Story was great, but I was dissapointed in the characterization. The characters felt alot more bland compared to Awakening.

The characters felt alot more bland compared to Awakening.

Phew, glad I'm not the only one who thought that. I still enjoyed the game a lot personally but the characters really made me miss Awakening's children roster... but I used to blame this opinion on personal bias since I played Awakening first. But apparently I'm not alone in this...

The more I hear about Fire Emblem Fates, the more I'm glad I never bought it. I had fun enough with Awakening. It was my first Fire Emblem game. But I didn't like it enough to care about buying another game in the series (had a similar feeling with Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, actually...). I was tempted to buy when the special edition set with all 3 games in the pack came up for pre-order, but I didn't go for it.

Farming Simulator 2013 for the 3DS...

Wasn't a big loss because it was only 5 dollars new at walmart. But still

Tomodachi Life.. It was so fun and interesting at the beginning, but it got boring so fast. Got so tired of it in after like a week 'cause it was so repetitive! So sad. Felt like such a waste of money :(

Fire Emblem Fates. It was an okay game but wasn't really impactful. Story was great, but I was dissapointed in the characterization. The characters felt alot more bland compared to Awakening.
The more I hear about Fire Emblem Fates, the more I'm glad I never bought it. I had fun enough with Awakening. It was my first Fire Emblem game. But I didn't like it enough to care about buying another game in the series (had a similar feeling with Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, actually...). I was tempted to buy when the special edition set with all 3 games in the pack came up for pre-order, but I didn't go for it.

I recommend you try the older games in the series if you want interesting characters and worthwhile stories. You can get Fire Emblem (7) on the Wii U Virtual Console for a cheap, good example of what the series can offer. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon is also available on the Wii U Virtual Console if you are at all interested in Marth's story, though it lacks the support conversations found in the other games since it was a remake of the first game from the NES and they didn't exist in the series at that time. You can get Fire Emblem for $7.99 and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for $9.99.

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones is also available on the Wii U Virtual Console for $7.99, but while it's a fine game, I don't think the story is the most remarkable thing out there if that's what you're interested in. Worth trying out if you like the others though.

If you like any of those I'd definitely point you toward Path of Radiance as it has the best cast and story of the English games, but I don't recommend it above the others because the discs are rare, coveted, and expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back