• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Game of the Year and Animal Crossing New Horizons Should it win or not?

Should Animal Crossing Win Game of the Year?

• Yes

Votes: 79 52.0%
  • No

Votes: 38 25.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 35 23.0%

• Total voters
I think so, but I've loved this game since the game cube version. I like Dragon quest, and some Harvest moon games too, but they don't compare to ac in my opinion.

Being game of the year is more than about being technically the best or the most popular.

Like Oscar wins it can also be about how the medium has capture the moment or was a commentary on the times.

In this regard there is actually no other game that comes close to New Horizons this year.

There are better technical games, there are more dramatic / cinematic games, better online games....but no other game really symbolises 2020, stirred up as much positivity, helped so many people, became a ray of light in an otherwise dark year.

I mean seriously doom or last of us as the game of the year in 2020 feels well almost morbid.

Animal crossing game of the year 2020 feels right.....it was the sun shinning through the clouds, it created a movement in people, so many got behind it and, it even led to brands, celebrities and a future us president getting in on it.

Absolutely! People can complain until the ac cows come home about certain technical things but this game made an impact where it counts the most on the largest amount of people of all different ages, and not just the gaming community. You cannot say that for any other game this year. It's one of the best selling switch games of all time for a good reason - bringing people together and giving them some wholesome entertainment in a dark time. Personally I think the graphics are absolutely outstanding and have incredible detail as well but I much rather a few technical flaws or maybe missing items/features/characters from the game at launch than it not being able to impact people where it really counts.

I think it depends on how you're making your decision. Is it important that a game has its success as a reflection of the very unusual year we've experienced? Absolutely yes. So, there you go, yes, it deserves game of the year. Do you think it's more important to ignore the surrounding details and look at the specifics of the game itself? Then, no, it doesn't.

(all that said, I love this game series and have no desire to play the other games nominated, so yeah, I think it should win :) Do I think it will? No. Will it upset me and make me angry? No. )

i’m not really sure. it’s an excellent game, but i’m kind of dissatisfied with nintendo withholding features, it’s pretty lame

A lot of fans here will stick around through thick and thin, so even with all the perceivable and obvious flaws, some of us will still be inclined to vote for the game, whether that be considered bias or not. We've grown up with the series, and it means a lot to us.

The problem is this game has had more hype, and a lot more new players than any previous AC game. As longtime fans of the AC games, we have different impressions than what new players might have. I feel the new players are the ones Nintendo needs to be impressing if you are to have a good chance at winning Game of the Year titles.

Let's take multiplayer for example. The implementation of multiplayer has always been poor, and makes for a low quality experience in AC games compared to other games. Longtime fans will understand this, and this will seem normal to us. New players on the other hand may be wondering why a 2020 game is operating as bad as multiplayer games from 20 years ago.

Another example is audio settings...or the lack thereof. There's no say so in whether or not the music volume is 100% 50% 25% or even 0%. We are a little use to this, because it's been this way since the 1st game. New players are likely struggling to understand why they don't have the option to mute their music.

One last example I'll use is the expansion of Nook's Cranny. Counting the initial Nook's Cranny shack, the first 3 AC games all had 4 Nook's Cranny stores, and New Leaf had 5. With the current state of things, New Horizons is at 2...Just 1 upgrade and you're done. Us longtime fans know there has to be more in store if we wait long enough, but new players might feel that's it. There's nothing left. Just an unimpressive upgrade.

While us longtime fans will stick around and remain playing the game for the next few years or more, a lot of new players have probably already moved on after about a month, and are now playing other games, likely ones running for Game of the Year with a better experience through and through.

I think it's definitely a contender. Not only is it a great game, it also has a newfound cultural impact; I think this is an important aspect of considering a game's legacy. It would also be funny to see it win against the grittier, more technically intensive opponents.

Against games like Ghost of Tsushima, Spiderman Miles Morales, Final Fantasy VII remake, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2, Fall Guys, Resident Evil 3 remake, Yakuza Like a Dragon, etc? No. No, it won't win.

I guess it could win MAYBE on a Nintendo Switch game perspective, but it would still have to go up against things like Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity and Super Mario 3D All-stars.

Animal Crossing has reached new heights this year. I cannot count the amount of times it was sold out for weeks on end. It has had a remarkable impact on the recreational gaming world this year and despite my issues with the game I think it still deserves the title. Regardless of having so many issues, it is still an animal crossing game that brought a whole host of incredible new features to the table. It is a lovely game.

Back