• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Funniest/Cringiest Capture Quotes?

TN4U

Lone Wolf of the Starfields
Bells
Island
Wahu
Yellow Star Fragment
Green Crescent Moon
Space Whale Plush
Green Crescent Moon
Galaxolotl Star Fragment
Not sure if this was done before, but I became very curious to see what capture quotes other members like or hate.

For those that don’t know what a capture quote is, it’s the “pun” your character says when you catch a fish, bug, or deep sea creature. For example:
I caught a Sea Bass! It’s at least a C+!

Which quotes from any of the games are some of your favorites, and which ones are so bad that even your Dad would call them lame?

honestly i think all of the catch quotes make me cringe a little LOL, but these are my personal faves from new horizons:

walking stick: “i caught a walking stick! check out its walking schtick! look, these are the jokes, okay?”
man-faced stink bug: “i caught a man-faced stink bug! reminds me of my uncle!”
golden trout: “i caught a golden trout! but the real treasure? friendship.”
frog: “i caught a frog! or it’s a new neighbour… and i have some apologizing to do.”
scarab beetle: “i caught a scarab beetle! it’s just a dung beetle with better hobbies.”

I prefer capture quotes in older AC games, but there's a few good ones in NH that I like.
"I caught a man-faced stink bug! Reminds me of my uncle!"
"I caught a scarab beetle! It's just a dung beetle with better hobbies."
"I caught an ant! TELL ME WHERE THE QUEEN IS!"

"I caught an angelfish! That other fish told me to do it!"
"I caught a mahi-mahi! It's all mahine-mahine."
"Thar she blows! I caught a whale shark! I'm tellin' ya, it was thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis big!"

"I got a sea pig! What's next? Air pigs?"
"I got a Dungeness crab! Dun dun duuuun...geness."
"I got a flatworm! Guess it forgot its spareworm."

Honorable mention: This French capture quote for catching a mitten crab in NH.
"Tu as pris un crabe chinois! C'est le plus asiatique des crustacés!"
Rough translation: "You caught a Chinese crab! It's the most Asian of crustaceans!"

walking stick: “i caught a walking stick! check out its walking schtick! look, these are the jokes, okay?”
I like how this one is so self-aware that it breaks the fourth wall. Love this one.

My toddler laughs manically when I say the capture quote for the sea anemone: “The enemy of my anemone is my frenemone.” I also find it really fun to say, although I always say “frenanemone” instead.

Here are some of my favorites from NH, whether they are funny, cute, clever, or just give overall positive feels <333

Dung Beetle - "This species likes feces."
Stringfish - "Five more and I'll have a guitar fish."
Man-faced Stinkbug - "Reminds me of my uncle."
Golden Trout - "But the real treasure? Friendship."
Coelacanth - "Think positive! Be a coelaCAN!"

. . .

The one I don't get is the sea bass one. It is not a C+, it is an F-.

. . .

I also like "Dace in the hole!" from Wild World. I probably find it funnier than I should. XDDD

9ADDA808-764D-4136-8682-6CCF026E6A8E.jpeg

from wild world, it’s funny cringey.

563907C7-BF8F-4343-883E-DD77576B8EE4.jpeg

😭 i didn’t know she could be so mean

9AE3523F-2986-4BCE-8D39-7376904C6792.jpeg

i want to be him.

Last edited:
Back