• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! We'll announce the winners for our Master Ball raffle and distribute your hard-earned arcade tokens soon.

Fitness Check In

Sharksheep

(⨀🞃 ⨀ )◄
Poyo Puffs
Bells
Pink Heart Balloon
Yellow Heart Balloon
Green Heart Balloon
Cyan Heart Balloon
Purple Heart Balloon
Pink Star Fragment
Yellow Star Fragment
Green Star Fragment
Blue Star Fragment
Purple Star Fragment
Some words for those that might have something fitness related as part of their 2021 resolution
Happy New Year Everyone! Some words for the people who might be starting their fitness journey as part of their New Year Resolution or having trouble with maintaining a consistent routine.

I view fitness as an act of self care and not a punishment. So it's important to me to dedicate time out of my week to focus on myself and my body. I have not treat it well all of my life but that's not a good reason to continue bad habits. Life happens. You are sick, you need a mental health day, you had to work long hours at work, you are moving, or you have to study for all your exams and write all of your papers, etc. It's ok if you need to take a break to focus on other aspect of your life. It's a journey and sometimes you get a little lost but the important thing to continue forward.

Fitness is all about the delayed gratification. It's natural that progress is slow. It's ok if you can't go as long or as hard as your last session. It's ok to have to scale back the amount you do. Whatever your goals are, it's important to focus on how you feel and the trends and not the numbers and how you look.

Inspired by @Mikaiah Motivation to Exercise thread started, by coincidence, the same week I decided it's finally time for me to stop sitting around all day and be more active at home. Which is hard because I looked forward to go to the climbing gym to see my friends and they are what kept me motivated and accountable for showing up. So maybe someone else here is also looking for an accountabuddy too!

The goal is to post in this thread every day on what you did! Don't have to be super detailed if you don't want to share your whole routine "yoga for 30 minutes" or "rest day" is good enough.

Fitness is vague but it can be anything from
  • weight training
  • yoga sessions
  • A play session with ringfit/wii fit
  • 20 minute walk
  • Getting a certain number of steps on your fitbit/applewatch/smart watch
  • Flexibility training
  • Balance training
Or anything else in between.

Here's a template and feel to free to fill out just one thing or all the things and give a short blurb about yourself.
Day #
Workout/Rest Day Summary:
Short Term Goal:
Long Term Goal:

Pre pandemic, on average, I went to the climbing gym twice a week and did a workout at the gym with my personal trainer or at home at least once a week. I went from being somewhat active to couch potato in March when my city when on lockdown and also when New Horizons came out. Now that my interest in NH isn't as intense, it's time for me to focus on my health and fitness again because while my weight hasn't changed much, my measurements have and what little muscle I had became fat.
Day 1

Weight training, Core
Working on fixing my bad ankles/balance.
For the people who tend to roll their ankles or get ankle sprains a lot, you can do most of the exercises with no equipment.
NYTimes Blog about it: https://web.archive.org/web/2020060...nytimes.com/2009/07/08/how-to-fix-bad-ankles/
Here's the corresponding video on the exercises:
Short Term Goal: Work out at least twice a week for the rest of August
Long Term Goal: Get my palms flat on the floor with straight legs and be able do a solid plank for a minute

Last edited:
This is a great idea!

Before mid-March, I was going to the gym with my S/O 5 times a week to lift weights. He was my major fitness accountabilibuddy. XD Before then, I never thought that I would ever enjoy lifting weights. But it made me feel really accomplished, especially when I saw the progress I made over 6 months.

Day 1
weight training - arms (bicep curls, tricep extensions, reverse curls, dips, wrist extensions and curls)
Short Term Goal:
stretch for at least 10 minutes per day
Long Term Goal:
be able to do 5 standard push-ups (I do them on my knees) and some variation of the splits

Day 2
core (roll-ups, planks, wiggles, candlestick dippers) and stretches (very satisfying to hear that non-painful crack in the lower back) ☺

A treat yourself meal every once in a while is definitely welcome and good for the soul. What kind of pizza and ice cream did you have? :D

Domino's pizza with pepperoni/mushrooms and then a blue raspberry flavor Misty Freeze from Dairy Queen!
Yum! Mushrooms are such a good topping on pizza (they're an awesome veggie in general). And I'll have to try out the Misty Freeze next time I go -- I usually get the Blizzards!

Day 3
Workout/Rest Day Summary
: Rest day. Spent several hours making too much sweet and sour chicken for the next 3 days. No dessert because it's so filling.

Not in the habit of posting my workout journal here yet. 😅 Backfilling yesterday's too!

Day 3
Rest day. Spent some of the day helping with household chores (laundry and vacuuming mostly).

Day 4
Chest day. Floor chest presses, floor chest flyes, half-knee push-ups, straight arm pullovers, bridge chest presses. Really need to get a heavier set of dumbbells (currently using 8 lbs). This is getting too easy. XD

Day 4

Balance Training, Core, 2 levesl of ring fit, and flexibility training. I'm almost can get my palms flat with a small bend in the knees. Maybe in another 3-4 weeks I can do it comfortably with straight legs.

Day 0
I haven't really begun working out yet. But starting last week my husband and I started to eat healthier, and now we spend less on fast food/junk food/food in general! And now I am actually eating more vegetables, and they taste good to me which is surprising
Short Term Goal:
Get in to the habit of at least taking a long walk (8k steps+) every day
Long Term Goal:
Lose weight.. I'm not morbidly obese but I have put on quite a few pounds in the last few years

Ooh I really like this thread! Pre covid I was pretty good about going to the gym several days a week but between the pandemic and starting a new job I've been slacking. This is giving me the motivation to get back on track!

Workout/Rest Day Summary: I haven't done anything yet today but I think I'm going to go for a long walk around the neighborhood this evening.
Short Term Goal: Get back into a workout routine. Get at least 10k steps per day.
Long Term Goal: I'd like to lose about 10 pounds. I'm not overweight or anything but I've definitely gained a little weight during the pandemic that I'd like to lose.

This thread idea is amazing :)
Day 1
20 minute walk + 50 body weight squats
Short Term Goal:
Trying to get back into a workout routine, especially want to improve my fitness/stamina
Long Term Goal:
Lose 10kg or so tbh - gotta start somewhere!

Day 5
Balance training. Weight lifting (shoulder press, chest press, lunges, squats, skullcrushers). Planks. Flexibility training. Wrist rollers

@Sharksheep, I didn't know lying tricep extensions were also called skullcrushers. 😯 I can see where that name comes from though (definitely felt that way to me when first learning the movement). Learn something new every day! X)

@Sharksheep, I didn't know lying tricep extensions were also called skullcrushers. 😯 I can see where that name comes from though (definitely felt that way to me when first learning the movement). Learn something new every day! X)

Yeah I'm not comfortable with doing it lying down yet so I do the standing one. I'll work up to it eventually.

Yeah I'm not comfortable with doing it lying down yet so I do the standing one. I'll work up to it eventually.
Yup, the lying down variation is definitely a move that basically requires a spotter, especially at the learning stage, just in case the muscles give out at the last second. You'll get there! :) 💪

Ooh this is an excellent idea! I'll start logging my workouts here~

Day #1 (of posting here)
Pushups, boxing
Short Term Goal:
Get more consistent about doing bodyweight and anaerobic stuff in general
Long Term Goal:
Lose the last 10 lbs I've been wanting to drop

Back