• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

ever met up with an online friend?

Not yet. I think I might have run into an online acquaintance irl, but that could’ve been a doppelgänger. We live in the same city, so it isn’t impossible. That being said, none of my proper online friends live within three hours of me. I’d love to meet some of them irl someday though.

If anyone is old enough to remember MSN chat rooms I was a host in a Scottish chatroom. Met lots of friends from there on nights out.

I have chatted to lots of great people here and made real friends. Hopefully will meet someday 💜

I’ve met friends when we played the same MMO, and still know two of them. I don’t play any MMOs anymore, and TBT is the only forum I use, so no one recently. 😊

No. People I made friends with online often lived far away. Like states or countries away. I don't do well with travel.

yes, numerous times, thats how my boyfriend and i started dating. we met IRL, started dating once we met, then stayed LDR for a while and he just moved in a year ago.

I have not, it sounds very dangerous. And besides, two of my online friend lives in the US (specifically Tennessee and Texas), and another lives all the way in the UK. 😭

not necessarily online friends, but rather my online girlfriend and boyfriend at the (separate) time. we were technically just friends when we met, though; we didn’t really make it official until after. i met my then online girlfriend in 2017. we met through a mutual (now ex) friend of ours, and started communicating through her, and then we eventually became independent and started talking to each other directly on snapchat. we actually lived in the same city, so we made plans to meet up. we were practically still strangers to each other despite being in a so-called ‘relationship’, to the point that i walked past her sitting on a bench 3 times before realizing it was her. i didn’t even know what she looked like ffs. we sat on the bench and talked awkwardly for about an hour. i started off as enthusiastic and talkative as possible, before simmering it down when she didn’t match my energy all the way. this was made even more awkward as my parents were patrolling around the park at the time, so my eyes were always on them. we departed with an awkward hug, and our (now ex) friend later told me that she said that she had wanted to kiss me, but chickened out of doing so.

we didn’t meet up again, nor did we really talk. i had messaged her at one point to inquire about the school that she went to as i was thinking of transferring (not because of her, but because of our now ex friend. this is around the time where her manipulating me begun to worsen, so i was looking for a way out.), but that’s about it. our now ex friend of course also used her to cause further trouble, and i don’t know what she said to her exactly, but she caused my ‘girlfriend’ to start angrily texting me while i was in class. i don’t exactly remember what the issue was or what all i said (she was angry that i didn’t text her more, even though i texted her more than she texted me. i also invited her to go see a movie with me; she never attempted to see me again after the park), but long story short: we broke up, and i haven’t seen or talked to her since.

i met my boyfriend less than a year later on instagram. he was my ex friend’s boyfriend at the time. i found out they were dating through her instagram account, but i never made any move to contact them. fast forward several months, i stumble across his instagram again, and there’s absolutely no trace of her on his account. i check hers, and there’s no trace of him, either. i realize they’re broken up, and do nothing about it. ...until a few days later, when i decide to take a chance and like a few of his photos. he follows me, i follow him back, and he sends me a message. i have no idea what he asks me or what i say, but we continue talking. i pretend like i don’t know him, but he talks about our ex a lot. tells me all the crazy **** she did, and i pretend to not know her, too. tell him about my crazy ex who is, surprise surprise, so similar to his. she’s the one who tells him we know each other, actually. sees me on his account on a burner account of hers (he blocked her main and her spam), and immediately messages him. tells him that if he cares about her at all still, he won’t get with me. he ignores her, and i act shocked when he tells me about it.

we eventually make plans to meet. we live in different cities, so i ask my mom to drive me to him. it’s a 3-4 hour drive, maybe, and it wasn’t at all pleasant lol. we picked him up at his house, and my mom talked to him more than i did. she dropped us off, and he immediately took me to a spot where we could get high. we take a few hits, making small talk and flirtatious attempts the whole time, and he eventually takes me to explore his home town. he takes me to this rundown mall, this little plaza, etc. we finally find a place to eat (he offers to pay), and i only take a few bites of my food. i also choke on my water, like an idiot. he had told me so many things about how fat girls weren’t attractive to him, and i was exactly that. fat. i did my best to appear otherwise though, since i knew i would never let him see me naked.

i don’t remember how we said goodbye to each other, all i know is that we didn’t kiss. we may have awkwardly hugged, but i don’t know. we continued talking for a few weeks after that, but it was mostly about our ex. it was unhealthy and obsessive, but it felt good to finally have someone who had been wronged by her as well, and knew that she wasn’t as nice as she appeared to be on the surface. my common sense finally kicked in sometime that october, though, and i broke things off with him. he attempted to message me months ago after rediscovering my instagram account (i now go by a different name than i did when we were together), but i deleted it and blocked him again. i haven’t seen or spoken to the ex friend, either.

i’m not proud of getting with him even though i didn’t break up or interfere with their relationship; they had already broken up when i first made contact. it still wasn’t my best moment, though, and i’m disappointed in myself. both meetup experiences were awkward (and unhealthy), so i don’t make the choice to meet someone in person lightly. it has to be someone that i’ve known for a while, and know that they’re trustworthy, who they say they are, and someone that i actually have some sort of bond with.

Reactions: Neb
Back