• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

DS - System of the forever?

Best Handheld I guess.
I really like a couple of games, my favorite is the World Ends with You. But there are plenty of good games on other systems that are a lot longer.

I really want to play mine again.
I need to find a new charger for it.. plus the touch screen is a little messed up.

Bogmire said:
It's an awesome system, and has SOME good games, however 90% of the games are just BAD remakes of GOOD games for other systems like the Wii and GameCube. Go ahead and look through the list of ROMs for DS games, pages after page you'll be all "What am I looking at?".
Why would I look at ROM lists when I just listed some of the best DS games available in the OP? I own 62... and there are at least 20 more top-tier games worth checking out.

The only consoles with similar libraries are the SNES and PS2. No other systems come close. So no, not "best recent handheld", the DS is just factually one of the top consoles of all time. There is a ton of shovelware, sure, but there's definitely more than "some" quality content.

Bulerias said:
Bogmire said:
It's an awesome system, and has SOME good games, however 90% of the games are just BAD remakes of GOOD games for other systems like the Wii and GameCube. Go ahead and look through the list of ROMs for DS games, pages after page you'll be all "What am I looking at?".
Why would I look at ROM lists when I just listed some of the best DS games available in the OP? I own 62... and there are at least 20 more top-tier games worth checking out.

The only consoles with similar libraries are the SNES and PS2. No other systems come close. So no, not "best recent handheld", the DS is just factually one of the top consoles of all time. There is a ton of shovelware, sure, but there's definitely more than "some" quality content.
I have to agree, aside from SNES and PS2, there are few systems really comparable to the DS's libraries.

I don't like the DS :S
I only ever use it to play Harvest Moon on the GBA part of it
I'm not a fan of portable consoles.

I agree with you. The DS/DSi is the perfect handheld system. It coexists in perfect balance with the Wii. Yes, it doesn't have amazing graphics, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it can be a very good thing. While 3D games thrive in today's market, 2D games are getting less and less. But the DS encourages 2D games, which makes it a perfect system for gamers who prefer two dimensions over three. And the 3D games on DS don't look bad, either. Sure, its graphics may only be a little more powerful than the Nintendo 64, but all the innovative and interactive features more than make up for that. Not only can you play games with two screens, but you can also use touch controls, your voice, your breath, and even two cameras with the DSi.

Andrew and I have a lot of DS games, and they're all great. The DS truly is a "system of forever". No, it won't actually last forever, but it's been around for over 5 years and still going strong, with four different models launched. Don't think that the DS is going anywhere anytime soon. Just like Wii, it will be around for quite some time to come.

I love the DS, it's one of my favorite systems. Top 2 in no particular order the DS and Gamecube. The DS has some great games and is easy to pick up and play.

Maybe if it could play Gameboy and Gameboy Color Games, but the Dsi can't even play Advance ones, so the DS Phat and Lite are close at being the best, but not quite there.

Megamannt125 said:
Maybe if it could play Gameboy and Gameboy Color Games, but the Dsi can't even play Advance ones, so the DS Phat and Lite are close at being the best, but not quite there.
The DS's library is pretty self-sustaining sans backwards compatibility, but you're right, the DSi is just a notch below the other DS iterations. Gotta have some portable Fire Emblem 7 and 8 goodness at all times, yannow? Although who knows, DSiWare could be a decent substitute... it isn't yet, but maybe in the future.

The DS is good, but I want something new now, Nintendo has had enough time to make a powerful handheld that doesn't take forever to load.
I really want to see an integranted online service, 3G connection and wii-quality graphics on the next handheld... And it's not like they're short on money, resources or time to do it with.

Ciaran said:
The DS is good, but I want something new now, Nintendo has had enough time to make a powerful handheld that doesn't take forever to load.
I really want to see an integranted online service, 3G connection and wii-quality graphics on the next handheld... And it's not like they're short on money, resources or time to do it with.
And that.

Ciaran said:
The DS doesn't have loading times. It plays cartridges, not disks... what are you talking about?

Bulerias said:
Ciaran said:
The DS doesn't have loading times. It plays cartridges, not disks... what are you talking about?
No, the ds doesn't have loading times, but just look at the psp, it has good quality graphics, but atrocious loading times because of them bloody UMD's...

I'm saying that when nintendo does update the Ds I don't want long loading times.

Ciaran said:
Bulerias said:
Ciaran said:
No, the ds doesn't have loading times, but just look at the psp, it has good quality graphics, but atrocious loading times because of them bloody UMD's...

I'm saying that when nintendo does update the Ds I don't want long loading times.
Oh, I misread what you said. The disk medium is inherently susceptible to loading times, so as long as Nintendo sticks with cartridges, we should be fine. But like I said before, the DS's capabilities are fine by me at this point. I've still got a huge backlog, and so do most gamers who have lives... because there is a crazy amount of great content on the DS.

The DS has lasted well for such a long time now and it's only now that it's starting to fade a bit. I still love my DS and have had one since launch now but it's just getting less and less great original games now.

SAMwich said:
The DS has lasted well for such a long time now and it's only now that it's starting to fade a bit. I still love my DS and have had one since launch now but it's just getting less and less great original games now.
This, I agree with. I think we hit a peak around a year or so ago and it's definitely starting to settle down. I'm sure a DS2 will be announced this year, probably at E3... and my wallet will cry.

Back