• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

DS - System of the forever?

Bulerias

Co-Founder of TBT
Retired Staff
Bells
I'm pretty convinced that the DS is the best game console ever made. My collection kinda speaks for itself, especially considering that I'm missing a few good games still...

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Animal Crossing: Wild World (x2)
Bangai-o Spirits
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Children of Mana (x2)
Chrono Trigger
Contra 4
Dementium: The Ward
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Electroplankton
Elite Beat Agents
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Game & Watch Collection
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Insecticide
Jake Hunter: Detective Story Memories of the Past
Kirby Canvas Curse
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Konami Classic Series: Arcade Hits
Lifesigns: Surgical Unit
Magical Starsign
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Mario Kart DS (x2)
Mario Party DS
Meteos
Metroid Prime Hunters (x2)
Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations
Moon
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
Nintendogs
New Super Mario Bros.
Pac-Pix
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice For All
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations
Picross DS
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Polarium
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Retro Game Challenge
Scribblenauts
Scurge: Hive
Sonic Rush
Soul Bubbles
Star Fox Command
Super Mario 64 DS
Super Princess Peach
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
The World Ends With You
Trace Memory
Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2
Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble
Warioware: Touched!
Yoshi

I don't really like the DS. It's good to play when you are away from home, but other than that I never play my DS.

Don't get me wrong, the DS is a great system, but just think, some of those games could have been a on a newer better handheld if Nintendo would bother putting in the effort to make one....

anywho I have a lot of those games(lost most of them on a plane though) and they're great for the most part, the DS has some great games on it.

I unfortunately have to disagree. I personally never pick mine up much any more sadly. I mean it is a good system, but my time is so very limited. I'm always on the run, playing games only when I get a chance to sit down at my place. Really the internet absorbs a ton of my time lol.

I think Nintendo should make another handheld instead of making a billion different versions of the same thing.

Ooh, I love the DS. Great for trips or when your family is hogging the console TV. :3 I do think there are quite a few good games on it!

John102 said:
Don't get me wrong, the DS is a great system, but just think, some of those games could have been a on a newer better handheld if Nintendo would bother putting in the effort to make one....

anywho I have a lot of those games(lost most of them on a plane though) and they're great for the most part, the DS has some great games on it.
What's the point of another handheld? The DS is fairly competent in the graphical department, and a lot of the DS's releases wouldn't benefit from added horsepower because they're 2D. In fact, I'm wary of new handhelds because I'm pretty sure more horsepower = less 2D games. And that's not a good thing...

@ Sporge - It seems like you're not playing because you're busy doing other stuff, not because the DS lacks quality content. I've got homework up the wazoo but I still try to put in at least 30 minutes of game time a day... although I fail at that, more often than not... damn homework.

Greatest portable console ever, I'm jealous of your enormous collection. XD Contra 4 and the Dragon Quest games are the ones I want most right now.

Rawburt said:
Contra 4 and the Dragon Quest games are the ones I want most right now.
*thumbs up*

Contra 4 is really, really good. Got that one when it came out. The main game isn't as hard as most say, but some of those challenges are brutal. I'm just getting into the Dragon Quest series, and though I normally don't dig JRPGs, I like DQV so far...

Bulerias said:
Rawburt said:
Contra 4 and the Dragon Quest games are the ones I want most right now.
*thumbs up*

Contra 4 is really, really good. Got that one when it just came out. The main game isn't as hard as most say, but some of those challenges are brutal. I'm just getting into the Dragon Quest series, and though I normally don't dig JRPGs, I like DQV so far...
Yeah, I played and loved DQ 8 on the PS2 so I really wanted to try the DS ones out, and I hear V in particular is supposed to be pretty good. So I'll have to get that one for sure.

Bulerias said:
John102 said:

What's the point of another handheld? The DS is fairly competent in the graphical department, and a lot of the DS's releases wouldn't benefit from added horsepower because they're 2D. In fact, I'm wary of new handhelds because I'm pretty sure more horsepower = less 2D games. And that's not a good thing...
Well, I wouldn't say it equals less 2D games, but just more '3D' games. Nintendo knows that the big money will lie in the 2D 'mainstream' games, but if they had the things you mentioned, like slightly better graphics, and added horsepower, the could expand their range of games, and who knows, there might be a jackpot in there somewhere for Nintendo, and the players.

John102 said:
Bulerias said:
John102 said:

Well, I wouldn't say it equals less 2D games, but just more '3D' games. Nintendo knows that the big money will lie in the 2D 'mainstream' games, but if they had the things you mentioned, like slightly better graphics, and added horsepower, the could expand their range of games, and who knows, there might be a jackpot in there somewhere for Nintendo, and the players.
I dunno. I honestly don't have a problem with what the DS is capable of, graphically, at least not at this point. There's plenty of quality software out there I haven't played...and another console with an expanding library is not something I need to be tempted with right now. :p

It's an awesome system, and has SOME good games, however 90% of the games are just BAD remakes of GOOD games for other systems like the Wii and GameCube. Go ahead and look through the list of ROMs for DS games, pages after page you'll be all "What am I looking at?".

Back