• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Drawing.. How Am I Doing?

Zanessa

ZanessaGaily>Zanessa
Bells
Holiday Candy Cane 2016
Tasty Cake
Pavé
The Bell Tree Fair 2016 Patch
Red Cosmos
White Cosmos
Yellow Cosmos
Dark Easter Egg
Candy Easter Egg
Waluigi Easter Egg
I've improved a bit according to my art senpai..

3f4c9bbf9af57ef3d55613d2e0597ef0-d7p3n8s.png

6a2a1b7dac04c84b568c5163b471f971-d7pnwdy.png

2a3d98ffec2828fd012b325a3fda8ca8-d7o0mki.png

d967120ec819459cbcbbf52ee72c07ce-d7pq0v1.png

What do you guys think?
My deviantART in case anyone wanted to see everything: http://zanessagaily.deviantart.com/

definitely an improvement!!! try working on different expressions; i just saw an expression tutorial on the front page of DA today; and as always, anatomy is that little fly in your soup that the waiter wont remove. but really, youve definitely improved!! :) keep on truckin'!

Looking much better you're really improving! Every artist starts somewhere and you've definatly come a long way! I'd work on also shading the skin and Clothing shading! But you're doing reeeallllly good :D!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also make sure to make one new piece of art a day at least to help improve,Watch tutorials on things you feel the need to improve on and picture referances, and make sure you keep praticing! ^~^

May I suggest drawing a stick figure to sketch out a pose and gradually building the figure up from that rather than trying to draw just the outlines? ^^ It'll help with anatomy and should maybe help your characters look a little less stiff. Shading on the hair could be more defined as well as skin shading, since you're style is cartoonish you could look at cartoons/anime to see which areas of the face are typically shaded depending on where the light is (for example under the nose, bangs, bottom lip) and then try it out yourself.

Keep drawing though and good luck! :D

Looking good. My only constructive crit would be the same as What Olivizza said.
Infact there is a website I know which can help you learn muscle shape, body shape and different poses its called www.posemaniacs.com and may be pretty helpful :D
Keep at it!

Last edited:
hmm ok so first of all im gonna mention im noticing a pattern of hiding the hands? the only one where the hands are showing theyre behind mittens. youll never learn how to draw hands if you never draw them, you cant limit yourself like that. the only way to learn and improve is to force yourself to do things you arent good at until you get better at them, so avoid hiding hands and using the same stale poses instead of dynamic fluid ones or doing the same expression.

as for anatomy, you draw heads too big and in the one where I can see the complete arm, its too short. for the head, its size is really depended by the shoulders. each shoulder should be one head length long. hair of course makes that length look shorter, but thats how it is. the whole length of the arm and the hand together needs to be long enough to reach to the mid thigh. I thought where you put the elbows could be lower, but I actually think the issue is that you need to put the waist a little lower/extend it. the elbows should be around the waist, so lower the elbows with it.

I notice you draw some heads rounder than others and some noses longer, and that eye shapes are usually a little different, making everyone look unique and more diverse. this is a really good thing, and idk if it was intentional, but keep up the diverse features! a big problem most artists have early on is sameface syndrome. the faces do look overall pretty similar, but you still have little changes like that that you should keep doing.

for hair and clothes, the way you shade hair looks a little dirty, but idk im not the best with clothes and hair help so look at some tutorials on deviantart.

but yea overall improve anatomy and posing

I think youve definitely improved. your art is pretty cute! theres always things someone can improve on though, and the best way to improve is to push yourself out of your comfort zone and force yourself to draw things you avoid because you cant draw them well yet, so like i said earlier, try not to limit yourself. youve improved pretty well so far though! keep it up! :^)

Haha I'll cover the whole shading hair and clothes thing. Deb is right, the shading on the hair looks pretty dirty. This is because you've been pretty much using black to shade the hair. That's probably the most evident in the first picture.
That's a really bad habit, don't get into it. Never ever shade with black unless something actually isss black. Then it could maybe be okay. I did notice an improvement in that throughout the pictures though. The color choice for the shading in the hair got better. But you do have some room to be a little bit more daring and diverse with color choice. When you're adding highlights to the red hair, for example, try not to use that really washed out pink. Use yellow or orange or something more vibrant. Same goes for even the pink hair you drew. The hair is pink and saturated, don't make the highlights that really washed out unsaturated pink color.

On another note, on the last picture that's colored on your original post, you used a pinky color to shade the face, and that's AWESOME <3 You never wanna use blackish type shades to shade skin either.

As for the clothes, clothes never conform to the body like that unless it's like one of those latex or spandex full body suit things. And even in that case, there areee folds.
Clothes fall into folds when on the body. Look at references on deviantart or even on google images to see how clothes react and fall when on the body and when in different positions. Here is a super good tutorial/reference when it comes to clothing and folds and such http://www.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Clothing-Folds-1-176116285
study that. Make that your bible.
Clothing pretty much alwaysss always always has some kinda folds somewhere, no matter how tight or whatever. Always. :)

Other than that, like Deb said, the face variation is really good, and you have so much potential and have improved a lot!!

So that's it :D Maybe later i'll drop off some color palettes that show you base colors and what kinda colors you could use to shade and highlight and stuff like that, if you want. Just so you can see :)

Anyway, keep on drawing <3

Last edited:
Thank you guys!

Yeah, hands.. I've been avoiding them for a while because I just can't seem to get them right.. plus I get tired of drawing the same thing after a while and see the hands are left and I'm like "no". But I do want to start drawing them.. (I also found a bunch of references..)

I appreciate the references and advice!

Thank you, thank you. :'D

Improvement Update?

sam_by_zanessagaily-d7qkiny.png

Note, not a girl nor a boy.. but they were born a girl so I tried to keep some feminine features..

4fa09e4af284116e8747c9a5f34bef93-d7qq5zr.png

(I also did one without a background..)​

AH YES
SMELL THE IMPROVEMENT IN THE AIR
MMMMMMMMMMMMMM
YASSSSSSSSSSSSS
THAT IS THE DAMN TICKET! HELLA! I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU OH MY GOODNESS

you ABSOLUTELY improved! i didnt even have to look twice! GOOD JOB NOT HIDING THOSE HANDS YEAH HIGHFIVE MAN AWESOME

as always, i cant speak for coloring

i do wanna see some lineweight imrpovement from you but idk if you have a tablet so without it its kinda not possible

yOUR ANATOMY IS GETTING BETTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
i think you should look at head/face shapes though, study some and try practicing there -- also with different eye styles. keep trying with the hair, too! MAN YEAH HELLA IM SO STOKED, I LOVE SEEING PEOPLE IMPROVE ITS LIKE SO AWESOME IM GETING EMOTIONAL
OK
i think my main points still stand, keep working at the anatomy, expressions, clothes and poses!! YOU CAN DO IT MAN IM SO PROUD

AH YES
SMELL THE IMPROVEMENT IN THE AIR
MMMMMMMMMMMMMM
YASSSSSSSSSSSSS
THAT IS THE DAMN TICKET! HELLA! I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU OH MY GOODNESS

you ABSOLUTELY improved! i didnt even have to look twice! GOOD JOB NOT HIDING THOSE HANDS YEAH HIGHFIVE MAN AWESOME

as always, i cant speak for coloring

i do wanna see some lineweight imrpovement from you but idk if you have a tablet so without it its kinda not possible

yOUR ANATOMY IS GETTING BETTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
i think you should look at head/face shapes though, study some and try practicing there -- also with different eye styles. keep trying with the hair, too! MAN YEAH HELLA IM SO STOKED, I LOVE SEEING PEOPLE IMPROVE ITS LIKE SO AWESOME IM GETING EMOTIONAL
OK
i think my main points still stand, keep working at the anatomy, expressions, clothes and poses!! YOU CAN DO IT MAN IM SO PROUD

//crying
Thank you, senpai *o*
I do have a tablet and I've actually been working on the lineweight. The thick lines have been bothering me forever. XD

And I'm also still working on anatomy.

But still, thank you for the feedback. It's always considered and appreciated. :'D

//crying
Thank you, senpai *o*
I do have a tablet and I've actually been working on the lineweight. The thick lines have been bothering me forever. XD

And I'm also still working on anatomy.

But still, thank you for the feedback. It's always considered and appreciated. :'D

okay! just keep at it and youll get there, then! :D what program are you using again? sai or PS or other?

Recently, I've only been using SAI, but I do have access to Photoshop CS6 and Sketchbook Express if I needed it. ^_^

work with whatever makes you feel most comfortable :) i prefer sai over PS because PS is too complicated for my tiny brain omg orz,, but yeah keep practicing and keep improving~!

Looks decent ^^ Try and work on the shading perhaps, use references to see where shadows fall on the face and how soft or hard they are.

Doing good so far.
Keep working and you'll be great someday.
Keep at it, honestly. Not everyone was great at first. I'm glad to see you're working though.
Study anatomy, try and sketch things! Sketch random things and random positions. So far, you keep drawing in the same pose and position, try and draw somebody bending over to touch their toes or reaching up for something really high on a shelf.

That's my challenge! Find a picture and try to replicate the pose.

(referring to the more recent drawings) That's actually not too bad. The first one is ok but the second one is promising! Just, go go go, keep practicing and improving!

Definitely start looking into studying anatomy and proportions and such, those will help you a lot.

Back