• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Double south river mouths: Do you love them or hate them and why?

I just realized that I have double south river mouths! to be honest, I seriously hated them at first. Without terraforming, it’s incredibly hard to work with the thin strips of land on either side. After unlocking terraforming it’s been a lot easier to work with. I’ve almost filled in one side of the map’s rivers and I’m going to dig new rivers in places around map. If I’d paid attention to the river mouths when picking my map in the beginning I’d definitely choose one with the river mouths in different places. South facing ones just aren’t my jam, lol.

Personally I'm quite conflicted because I currently have both river mouths filled up with land and I feel like I *should* make a river out of them to make it look natural but then again there's not a ton of land on the other side so I'm not sure what quite to do

When I started playing, I went with a layout that has two south river exits because I liked that it made my island look more symmetrical. I still love it because the way my river runs through my island means that it basically splits my island into three sections - a central, more developed area where all the important things are, plus two smaller sections on the left and right sides which have tons of trees and only a few houses.

I have the double south river exits. I would consider changing it if I had the option, but terraforming gives you so many other options that I haven't found it too restrictive overall. I'm still changing some things, but here's roughly what it looks like.
EcwrgoEUMAAOS5x.jpg

I got one and honestly I really like it! I put two bridges so I can have some nice symmetry going :)

Not a fan. They've always looked unnatural to me.

I've never designed anything on my island to be symmetrical but the designs that utilize them make them work well. Some of my favorite designs for them are boardwalks, breaking into the island and creating another mini island, and harbor-like areas.

I didn't think about this when choosing the layout of my island. I have 2 south river mouths and I am not the biggest fan. I've already covered up one of them with land and the other is still up for debate for what I'll do.

When I was choosing my island layout, I avioded a double-south river mouths, because I thought it would be a pain to work with it, so I went with south-east one. And, honestly, I don't regret doing that, seeing how much creativity you need to turn a double-south rivers into something pretty.

Being totally new to AC I had no idea there were so many maps when I started up and I literally just chose the one I liked best out of the first 4. Mine has the heart pond up on the cliffs and yes, two south river exits.

Can’t say it’s ever bothered me much, my map came with a lot of rivers with 3 cliff top ponds too but I love the water. I can see it would bother those more into terraforming more than me though.

I love the double south facing rivers. My new island happens to have them and I wouldn't want to change. The reason I love them is I've seen a lot of good organized islands with them and I want to create an island that is organized too. I have an idea on how I want to shape my river, so it should work out just fine for me.

For me it's not too much of a problem atm on my island. I'm going for a theme that splits my villagers up right down the middle so it's not much of a hassle. But one problem is that I had to redo my whole river to make it happen.
Just depends on what you're going for in my opinion.

Being the symmetry freak I am; I personally love the double south rivers. My first island had them and my new island has them too. The long beaches on the sides and the mini beaches on the bottom are nice bonuses.

I have double south river mouths and I don’t hate them but I don’t love them either. They make it harder to terraform. Good thing I’m not super into terraforming. I don’t mind them too much and I put up with them but had I known what a pain they would be I would have chosen a different map

I have a map that has both river mouths on the south side of the island.

I personally like it; it lets you design your island in a way that's symmetric. Ultimately, it does mean the lower portion of your town isn't as connected as if you had a river opening on the east / west side of town, but I think that it's a fine tradeoff for having a more symmetric town.

I have them and love them. In fact, I specifically wanted an island with two south exits. It's just easier to do a symmetrical design (my preference), when both sides are as close to matching as possible. Any other river exit combination would not have made my island design possible.
IMG_20200712_161427.jpg

I thought I would like it when I picked the map as I originally wanted rivers in the bottom half of my island in order to have lots of space to work with in the top area and now I'm not really liking the 2 south rivers because of the design constraint regarding the strip of land on both sides.

Im thinking of closing one of the side.

I chose a double south river specifically because I love the symmetry. I still enjoy it and doubt I would have it another way.

Back