Does your town have green space (uncovered grass)? Town Landscaping Discussion!

DJStarstryker

Bells
I spent a while tonight looking at dream towns. I noticed something that's way too common is that almost 100% of the ground space is covered with houses, PWPs, flowers, other plants, or patterns. There isn't really any green space - aka normal grass/dirt. I get it. The grass wear is annoying. But on the same token, I like how the ground changes colors throughout the year. I also like the more natural look.

However - it almost makes my town feel like it looks weird with how much natural green space I have. I have a minimalistic natural looking path for all of the main walking areas (way less than your typical dream town) but everything else is green space. Certain areas look really weird thanks to grass wear. But some, like my camp area and the park area I'm building up/landscaping around my town hall look really nice I think. I'm trying to go for a foresty look though.

Do you have green space in your town? Or do you prefer to keep it covered up? Why?

Also, if anyone feels like posting dream codes, I am happy to look at your town if you want. :) Mine is still heavily under construction but I'm hoping to finally post a dream code in the next few weeks or so.

Last edited:
I try to keep as much green as possible. I really like the natural grass and natural feel that comes with it. I lay paths to improve the look (rather than the decayed grass trails) and to prevent my flowers from being run over, but i leave 90% of my town's grass uncovered.

I try to keep as much green as possible. I really like the natural grass and natural feel that comes with it. I lay paths to improve the look (rather than the decayed grass trails) and to prevent my flowers from being run over, but i leave 90% of my town's grass uncovered.

Yeah, protecting flowers is a large reason I put down paths on all of the main walkways. I've been spending a lot of both TBT (buying them from others) and personal time in growing up my own hybrids lately. I don't want to destroy them! I have accidentally destroyed flowers before, mainly from them being at the very bottom of the slope to the beach (I tend to do a lot of flower growing there so it doesn't disrupt my landscaping). Your character runs without you pushing the run button on that part.

Most of my towns are forest towns with natural dirt paths. But I have a problem with covering up the most grass areas with flowers. so only the dirt path is exposed. It works in some areas, but in others it makes it feel like my town is a bit cramped. Even though it's a forest, there's not a lot of huge green grass areas showing through because all the flowers I have. There is one area where I want to get rid of most of my flowers but the problem is there are some permanent dirt patches in that area that deviate from my actual dirt path. That's why I tend to cover those up with flowers. I've seen beautiful forest towns with large open spaces of greenery with a few trees and flowers sprinkled around and a simple clover or cobble path. Makes me want to keep my new switch town more open and spacious than the towns I'm used to making!

Yeah, protecting flowers is a large reason I put down paths on all of the main walkways. I've been spending a lot of both TBT (buying them from others) and personal time in growing up my own hybrids lately. I don't want to destroy them! I have accidentally destroyed flowers before, mainly from them being at the very bottom of the slope to the beach (I tend to do a lot of flower growing there so it doesn't disrupt my landscaping). Your character runs without you pushing the run button on that part.

I had no idea that your character ran without pressing the button on the slopes! The more you know I guess, I use my beaches for a lot of storage for my hybrid selling town and then on the other town i just use it for a ton of trees so I never have run into that problem!

I barely have any green space. Not because I don't like showing the grass, but because the patterns prevent unwanted move ins destroying everything. So once the amiibo update made it possible, I started putting paths everywhere, trying to incorporate them in every space so there wouldn't be any other possible place to put a house on except for the determined house plots that I made. If there was any other way to prevent villager houses from ruining things, I would have A LOT more green showing. But for now, I can't leave any single 3x3 spot uncovered. If the switch fixes this, then I will be happy to leave a lot more natural areas in my town.

Oh yes, all my towns always had green space. I don't like it if everything would be covered up.
I don't use any patterns/paths or do I have tons of flowers that covers every single green spot.
When then I used clovers only to make a neutral looking path. Other then that, I like it to have
green space, as I also like it to see when the grass changes it's color from season to season.

i have a lot of green space, but i also use paths and patterns. I try to maintain a balance and my goal is for my town to look natural enough (like a small village), but also organized and cute. I like other people's forest towns, but i don't like it as much for my personal town. I prefer something in between ^^

Grass wear is not what come to mind when keeping spots filled for me, but rather less spaces to check up on daily/things will not spawn. I do not have a preference of the look, it just happened to be more convenient. I experience grass-wear anyhow as I have clover and dig-spot paths. In the event of naturally occurring dirt patches (places where grass never grows), I think it is more personal or unique. When seeing it I think "That was naturally occurring or was specific landscaping", so it is nice to see more incorporated into it or it is made into something more.

I'm not done my town yet, but I plan on leaving a lot of green space in it. The top half of my town is more covered (still some green) as it's meant to be a city, but I'm leaving the bottom half open as a meadow/village so I don't plan on putting a lot of paths there. I don't like having everything covered in my towns. I like seeing the seasons change and having my town still feel natural. When there are paths on every inch of ground it just doesn't feel like Animal Crossing to me.

My town isn't close to being done, but I plan on leaving a lot of green space in the top left and right areas of it. Part of this is out of necessity, as I want to be able to concentrate PWPs into one area, but I also think that more natural looking areas can be very nice. I'll probably be intentionally removing flowers so that they don't get to the point they did in my old town (almost every tile was covered in them).

Yes. I have paths that go to all the buildings, but I still have a lot of grass showing.

I barely have any green space. Not because I don't like showing the grass, but because the patterns prevent unwanted move ins destroying everything. So once the amiibo update made it possible, I started putting paths everywhere, trying to incorporate them in every space so there wouldn't be any other possible place to put a house on except for the determined house plots that I made. If there was any other way to prevent villager houses from ruining things, I would have A LOT more green showing. But for now, I can't leave any single 3x3 spot uncovered. If the switch fixes this, then I will be happy to leave a lot more natural areas in my town.

This is seriously the only reason why I consider putting down QR paths. Random move-in scare me very much hahaha.

That's a good reason to put lots of patterns down.

I haven't had a problem with my current town, but with my first town a villager decided to plot right in front of a bridge. Like you crossed over the bridge and then had to walk around his house to get to where you were going every single time. Unfortunately I had loaded up the game with my mayor (this was an unexpected move in) so there was no way around it. That villager never ended up moving out either. He is another reason why I didn't keep my original town. :(

I don't feel the need to have my villagers show up in super specific spots, but I wish there was a better way to block them from spots you know you DON'T want them to be in other than PWPs or patterns.

I like to leave open spaces for the grass to show through in my town. I think it makes it feel more natural. I don't leave huge, wide open spaces, but I'll line my paths with bamboo or bushes and then maybe leave some open grass behind that. Or I'll surround a PWP or house with flowers, but then leave open grass around that. Also, my paths are just stepping stones, so they show the dirt/grass underneath.

I do use patterns to ensure that my villagers plot where I want them, but I don't leave those down permanently. It's a bit of a pain, but anytime I decide to cycle out a few villagers for new faces, I'll go through the process of moving flowers and laying down patterns. Then, once I'm ready to stick with the villagers I have for a while, I pick up the extra patterns and put everything back in it's place. I'm much happier with my town when I don't have too many patterns down and I never save my dream address until I've picked them all back up.

I prefer green space just because I actually like the natural look of my town. I like the way the grass looks in the game also, and I don’t have very much hybrids or flowers yet in the game to really need to protect them.
I think once I get all the PWP’s I want in the game, I’m going to create a more set path around town to protect my hybrids, but I’ll never cover up the actual green space.
I think the main reason really is how I like how pretty they made it all look naturally. I like the way it looks in all seasons. If I was making a themed town that I was really dedicated to I’d cover it up, but for right now I think it looks really nice already.
Not ready to share my dream code because my town is a mess lol :p

Last edited:
Back