• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Smash Bros Do you try to play higher-tiered characters?

Do you?

• Total voters

Mars Adept

Defense is the best offense!
Bells
Switch
8301-8235-7817
Easter Egg
Rotating Fool's Egg
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Plum Blossom
Zodiac Dragon Figurine
Fortune Cookie
Blue Holiday Candle
Oblivia's Ugly Christmas Egg
Red Holiday Candle
Quirky Doll
This can apply to any Smash game. (Although it arguably applies to Brawl the least due to the casual/randomness factor and Meta Knight outplaying everyone by a very long shot.)

Do you try to main those have been shown to perform better or are high on tier lists so that you have a better chance of winning your matches?

I like to play as characters that I like. I haven’t played this game in such a long time, but I used to always main Bowser. It had nothing to do with his power. I just liked his character.

This thread reminds me of the people who used Funky Kong with a Flame Runner on Mario Kart Wii.

I just rotate between a couple main characters, (and about 8 others when I'm playing a lot of rounds with friends) that I like, or have fun playing as. Some as higher tiered, others quite low, but I just like playing as them : D

No. I just play who I like or who I'm good with. My main is Samus because she's the character I've grown to be the most comfortable playing as, while my secondary is Peach solely because of hacha, not because of her tier ranking.

Smash is fun, but in all reality I usually pick characters based on how well they can recover on the stage. Falls and stage kills are so embarassing.... my favorite character was a custom character in the last game. Named him Lunk, and he was brutal and could generally recover the stage.

In ssbu, of the characters I've unlocked, I usually play dk or kirby. I'm assuming kirby is not higher tier, lol....

I had no idea there were tiers until now, but it makes sense. I‘ve only played/only play SSBU. I play whoever I feel like trying out, but otherwise I mostly stick to Kirby! I’m not good with any character, but I’m comfortable with Kirby. 😅

i just end up playing the characters i enjoy from games ive played. bayonetta is my "main" and so is daisy. im not sure if either of these are high tier but i believe daisy used to be? and bayo was def busted in 4.

I don't play anymore but used to love picking Isabelle. Her fishing rod is just so much fun! And afaik she's a low-tier character but it doesn't make a difference to me!!

Nope, I just play whoever I'm good at, which happens to be Little Mac, Dark Pit, and Pyra/Mythra. Whether they're higher on the tier list or not has nothing to do with it for me.

I don’t really pay attention to the tier list. I basically pick cute characters for the most part. (e.g. pikachu, pichu, yoshi) I find Ness and Lucas extremely fun to play, and probably switch between them the most. But also, why should I care to use a high tier character if I’m trash at them? Some characters just feel better to control.

i mostly just play for fun and rarely keep up with the competitve scene, sometimes i watch pros play on twitch here and there. but with every game i don't really care that much about who the public thinks is the best character, but rather who i have the most fun with and who has the coolest moveset in my opinion!

I don't remember who's on which tier but my main fighter is Zelda, and I know she isn't on a top tier, but my second is Zero Suit Samus and if I remember correctly, she's on a top tier in Ultimate.

Just as I started the very underwhelming "Ultimate," I started using Marth a lot. That said, I ALWAYS fall back to the whimpy little Weegee! Timing his "siderocket" move is so satisfying!
Post automatically merged:

I don't remember who's on which tier but my main fighter is Zelda, and I know she isn't on a top tier, but my second is Zero Suit Samus and if I remember correctly, she's on a top tier in Ultimate.
Powerwise at least, Zelda is an 'S' tier. Never played as her too much though, so I could be 100% wrong.

I choose my main characters mostly based on how comfortable I am playing them. Tiers don't play a part in my preferences, but I certainly don't mind if a character I prefer to play just so happens to be high-tiered. Tiers are inconsequential to me anyway though since I'd never enter a tournament against pros and people who know a lot about frames and all that. I just play against friends and people here and sometimes random online matches. I can do pretty well for myself, but then there are certain players here on the forums who are just clearly a step (or entire staircase) above. I feel like I've reached a limit to my skill and don't know how to progress further but feel that I can improve if I did know how.

Ike is my main both because he's the main character of my two favorite video games, but also because his moveset and playstyle really gel with me. I think he's considered high tier but not top tier? I'd still probably use him even if he was low tier just to rep his games lol.

Samus is my secondary. I like her moveset and feel like she's my most optimal option if Ike isn't working out against an opponent. I guess she's top tier?

Those are the two I use if I'm wanting my best chances for success.

If it's just playing against friends though, I'll switch it up and use a whole variety of characters. I feel different degrees of comfort with Byleth, Palutena, Marth, Lucina, Robin, Ness, Lucas, Wii Fit Trainer, Mr. Game & Watch, Mario, Dr. Mario, Peach/Daisy, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Terry, Hero, Joker, Pyra/Mythra and Zelda.

There are a few characters I play as simply because I find them fun to use, regardless of tier listings or anything like that. I'm hot garbage at the games though so I doubt choosing by tiers would help me in the slightest anyway.

My typical picks include Mr. Game and Watch (my main), Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Ike, Kirby, Pikachu, and Luigi, though I occasionally branch out to other ones as well. In Smash 4 and Ultimate I also play as Villager sometimes. But I almost exclusively stick to Brawl (my favorite in the series, make of that what you will) so my experience with characters beyond the ones in that game is extremely limited.

Tiers don't really matter to me. I mostly pick my characters based on how much I enjoy them visually, gameplay-wise and if I'm somewhat attached to their home games, not in which tier they're placed by pro-players.

So if I take a look at my character selection, they're pretty much all over the place. The only "top tier" I play sometimes is Joker, but my Joker is a flaming pile of garbage because he's objectively hard to play as. My main, Megaman, is the only "high tier" character. Pit, Toon Link and Byleth(I really want to get myself his fighter pass because I played Byleth only on my bf's Switch, but I already think of him as my secondary lmao) are concedered "mid tier" characters. And finally, Incineroar is a "low tier".

I enjoy these characters for a lot of reasons, except the tier list placement.

I don't play high tier characters because I find no enjoyment in playing the characters I don't like and stacking easy wins.

It's also boring seeing top tier characters in tournaments or just Smash Bros in general.

I just find characters that were mid to low tier interesting. I usually play characters from the games I played or liked with the exception of Mr. Game and Watch, my personal top main and favorite character but never played or grew up with Game and Watch games itself. My secondary main is Inkling because I enjoy the moveset (and I love Splatoon).

Long story short, I just find playing and sometimes winning as low tier characters brings a good feeling of accomplishment and fun.

Edit: just found out that Mr. Game and Watch in SSBU is S- tier, I'm really surprised he's top tier now but I still love playing as him regardless.

Last edited:
Back