Do you tip for takeout? (Input from both patrons and staff appreciated!)

We do if it is a mom and pop place, which for us is Mexican and Chinese takeout places. Otherwise no. I think it is often included in the total in bigger places or just not expected at all.

yes, obviously places like mcdonalds dont accept tips so i don't tip there but any small restaurant gets my tips. i worked at a very small sushi shop for a while and while we got decent wages, there was some financial issues at the store that stopped us from being paid for almost a month. i lived off tips.

i never know someone's situation so i always tip. 20% or $5, whichever is larger

I tip if they deliver or if I eat inside the restaurant but not on take out cause if I have to waste gas getting there and back then nope.

I tip more than I used to. As someone who worked at a restaurant, I know how bad the pay is for the amount of work. Unfortunately the place I worked at subtracted tips from our monthly wages; meaning I still earned minimum wage. I don't know if other restaurants do that, but I still tip 15-20% anyway. Better safe than sorry.

Back