• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you think the characters are adults or children?

They are

• Adults

Votes: 81 76.4%
  • Children

Votes: 25 23.6%

• Total voters
well both.. id say beardo is an adult and the little dude who wears a diaper i think hes a duck? Is a baby
Post automatically merged:

also the kangaroos are babies and adults too xD

as for children... i dont know

bob has the starter house so for me he looks like an adult but his actual house makes him look like a child

Honestly, I'd say both. When I was a child playing animal crossing I thought of my character and all my villagers as being the same age as me (except for maybe the cranky villagers, they always seemed old) Now I'm 31 and i think the exact same thing. My character is an adult because I'm an adult now, and it feels like the residents/villagers have aged with me.

when i played nl, i definitely thought the characters (player character + villagers) were children but with nh, i remember seeing somewhere that the player character is slightly taller now and with how most villagers if not pretty much all of them got new renders, i do believe they're now young adults.

the slight headcanon is nice. better to see small changes like this than the ash ketchum syndrome. ๐Ÿคฃ

I would say adults now, maybe young adult like 18-20. The moving part in the begining of each game makes me feel like you're just moving out and ready to start a new life somewhere. Your mom sending letters checking up on you and reminiscing your younger years also feels like this. Maybe in Wild World and earlier you were supposed to be more kid like, but then again that would leave some uncomfortable context when Kappin would flirt with you... I think its mostly left ambiguous for the player to decide.

If you play NL, your mom will send letters and she will act like your grown up. So l say your an adult, but really it can be anyway because the character is your avatar, so you can be a child or an adult.

oh i thought you were talking about the villagers.. i geuss if were talking about the characters id say young adult!

It all depends on how you portray your character. My character is most definitely a child but I know not everyone plays them like that.

For the character, whatever you want it to be!
For the villagers, I would say they are adults. The lazy villagers are 16. Cranky can be as old as 40.

Solely based off the fact โ€˜momโ€™ sends letters that means our characters parents know where they are and arenโ€™t totally freaking out leads me to believe our character is at LEAST late teens. If I took a train to a random town and didnโ€™t come back my mom would have called the copes lol

In my opinion, the character's age in games like Animal Crossing is left to the player's imagination. The game does not explicitly define the age of the character, but rather leaves it open for interpretation. The appearance of the character may influence one's perception of their age, but ultimately it's up to the individual player to decide. The same applies to the villagers, as some may look more youthful or mature.

I think it depends on the villager, some are children, some teens or young adults and some even look like the're very old, I think this was made on purpose to fit the kind of vibe one wants for their towns, like how in childrens shows most characters might be children so people who want that vibe could go for cute and childlike villagers for example. I absolutely think that there's a lot of variety in the villagers ages.

Not something I ve really thought about. It's just a cute game I like.
I'd assume they are kids in their imaginary state? Ac is a bizarre world and operates in a bizarre way.

I mean I've saw some of the villagers did mentioning their parents but we never saw what they look like. Perhaps they might address this in the next animal crossing game. The way I see it the villagers who act like kids are Peppy, Lazy, Normal, and Jock. Then the ones that act more adult are Cranky, Sisterly, Snooty, and Smug.

I think it's left open to the player, honestly. I think in previous games the player character looked more childlike, but in NL and NH you can make them look more like teenagers and young adults. You can even make a character that looks elderly!

The game has a fantasy tone to it so it's not even like you need to interpret your character as old enough to live on their own, have parents who are young-ish and alive, etc. You can imagine what you'd like, that's the beauty of this game.

The bears are adults and most of the cubs are kids, though not ones like Barold, since he is bearded.

I think the reps are susposed to be you the player's age unless you connonize them otherwise. Regardless of being an oposite gender or how you customize them.
--
But I think the reason the characters look both young, and older is because of that. I don't think the game was ever directly marketed towards kids but for all ages. I mean as a typography/graphic designer the logo falls into a neutral vibe for various reasons, and the villagers talking smack about you in older games really does say that its for both ages.

I think villagers fall completly into your cannonizing. I mean some do talk older and some younger, but its still up to you as the player. Because even adults can be young at heart. So you can say your lazy is like thirty and your cranky is nineteen if you want. I believe both are up to you, which I really apreciate when games never asign you a direct age. Makes it feel more like you can be well yourself if wanted.

Last edited:
I would say neither, I think the body types are left that way so the player can project whichever suits them best onto their character

The human characters are whatever you want them to be. Thereโ€™s so many options and customization. I think youโ€™re intended to use your imagination. Thatโ€™s what Animal Crossing is about.

Back