Do you prefer games where you can customize the main character?

Do you prefer games with character customization of the main character?

• Yes.

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indifferent.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Croconaw

アリゲイツ
Team 3
Bells
Arcade Tokens
Do you typically prefer games where you can customize the main character to your liking? These games include Animal Crossing, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, Sims games, etc.

Or do you prefer games that has a main character already looking a certain way or was already designed? These games include Mario from Super Mario, Link from Zelda games, etc.

I'm personally indifferent, but I do like character customization. I like making the character look like myself.

I do prefer customization options even if the character is pretty much preset.

Link is a good example for me to pick on. There is no customization options in Zelda, but just to be able to change the clothing color or the hair color or even the option for skin color changes would be nice and a good meet in the middle for me for preset characters vs fully customizable. And I would prefer this middle ground out of all 3 options. It doesn't even really require additional models/designs. Just a color adjustment.
However Link's green clothing I know is iconic for him.. and having a set image for a character, a main character the whole story is centered around, is better for marketing of an RPG franchise. Although, Acnh seems to be doing ok with their villager humans.. but I don't think it is really considered an RPG either.
Super smash bros allow "variants" of preset characters but that was mostly because of multiplayer identity needs and again, not a RPG.
But I guess I view color variants kinda like a palette thing from older games? Mario is still Mario in brown and white clothing vs red and blue clothing to me. But if Peach could have brown hair I see where confusion can happen in marketing because Daisy exists. But since both Peach and Daisy exist why not allow dress color changes at minium if you play as them in some future game one day?
Idk just personal thoughts and preferences.

I do. I’ve talked about this in a couple other threads recently, but I like being able to customize the character I play as in games. I like designing my character to look like me, or as close to me as I can get at least. I like being able to add my own personal touches to my character. I like being able to choose what my character looks like, and change up her look from time to time.

Whether or not I’m able to customize my character in a game isn’t make or break for me. I won’t not get a game just because I can’t customize my character in it, but I find that I don’t feel as attached to the characters I play as if I can’t design or customize them. I definitely have more fun and feel more personally connected to my character when I can customize them.

Depends on the game's context. Personally if it lacks customization, I think the main character should be likable, iconic, or well-written depending on the genre and the theme of the game.

Game mascot games or story-driven are one of those non-customization games that I like. As for the character customization part, I deeply enjoy customizing my character with my favorite types of fashion especially when it has female avatar options included. So yeah, I enjoy customization a lot because you get to experience your own journey in-game and immerse yourself in that world.

Back