• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon Do you have any traditions for your Pokemon games?

CylieDanny

🔥The Spicy Prince🔥
Bells
Island
Fuggire
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Fortune Cookie
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Is there something, a name, type or something that you keep in tradion for all the games you've played?

Mine personally are, always have a Zubat on my team as my flyer, and name them Naegi. If not, then the second closest bat pokemon.

I love bats, and Crobat has always been one of my favorite Pokemon, so its become tradition. Naegi is just the name I had for my first Zubat.

(Why is there no Zubat in Pokemon sword 😭 I wanna make my boy/girl chili so bad lol)
--
I always name my character after a flower, mainly poisonous ones. Just because I love Poison Pokemon the most. I think its pretty cool, and some names are really cool.

Like Aster, Azalea, Ivy, so fourth.
--
How about you? Anything you like to stick too? Or try too.

Last edited:
I always have Totodile. I will use action replays to get him or trade for him before I start playing if he is not available. My Totodile’s are always male and preferably with Adamant nature. If he meets that criteria, I’ll throw in a good bit of extra TBT.

Last edited:
my character has been named claire in every pokemon game i've played. (and every other game in the last few years lmao.) i also make sure to have a vaporeon, flareon and jolteon on my team as soon as possible, then leafeon and glaceon, although those two aren't necessary. then, once i have the shiny charm, i try to get shiny versions instead.

Hmm, now that I think about it...
I always pick the female protagonist for my main playthrough and I give her a canonical name, like May for Hoenn games, Selene for Alola, Gloria for Galar, you get the idea
I mostly pick a fire-type starter, unless I really like the water one (so far the only ones were Piplup and Sobble)
As soon as I can get/catch an Eevee(preferably a male), I add him to my team to eventually evolve into a Vaporeon named Vinny in games before gen 6 or into a Sylveon named Veevy in games after gen 6

I always have my favorite frog-like pokemon on my team: Greninja, Seismitoad, Politoed, Poliwrath and Toxicroak.
Every Pokemon game I always buy all the clothing
Every Pokemon game I always get all the TMs
I always try and complete the pokedex as best as I can
I always try and give my frogs competitive movesets and turn them into powerhouses

I'll always do a 'three strikes' rule upon picking my starter to see if my choice ends up shiny. I always run around in a circle three times before checking, too. It is definitely RNG manipulation (that never works).

1. I always have to have a Ghost type on my team (preferably Aegislash)
2. I always have to buy every clothing in a game if even if I never wear it.
3. I always curse Blissey and its existence if it is ever in a game.
4. Most importantly, I always catch my Pokemon in regular Pokéballs. Legendaries make that tradition tough but I've managed to do it all these years from RBY.

Always getting a shiny Umbreon I suppose, and a Milotic preferable shiny as well.

• I always keep my starter. I know some people will ditch them eventually but mine are always here to stay.
  • I don’t use legendaries on my main team. They feel too overpowered and it’s feels odd to own such a strong powerful deity like being.
  • I always try to use new Pokemon in each new game. New forms/evolutions is fine as well like Sylveon in X and Y or Alolan Ninetales in Sun and Moon for example. Sure I have old favourites but it’s nice to try new things each time. Only exception to this is for “sequel” type games like Black 2 and White 2 and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. For these games I used a mix of old and new. Basically tried to pick each team member from different generations to keep things different from the first set of games.
  • I always try to keep my team typings diverse. At most I’ll double up on a type once and that’s only if they are dual types where their other type is unique in my party. For example in Legends I currently have a Wyrdeer and Ursaluna. Both normal types but Wyrdeer adds psychic type to my team while Ursaluna adds ground type.
  • I always nickname my main team. Other stuff I catch usually doesn’t have a nickname.

• I always keep my starter. I know some people will ditch them eventually but mine are always here to stay.
  • I don’t use legendaries on my main team. They feel too overpowered and it’s feels odd to own such a strong powerful deity like being.
  • I always try to use new Pokemon in each new game. New forms/evolutions is fine as well like Sylveon in X and Y or Alolan Ninetales in Sun and Moon for example. Sure I have old favourites but it’s nice to try new things each time. Only exception to this is for “sequel” type games like Black 2 and White 2 and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. For these games I used a mix of old and new. Basically tried to pick each team member from different generations to keep things different from the first set of games.
  • I always try to keep my team typings diverse. At most I’ll double up on a type once and that’s only if they are dual types where their other type is unique in my party. For example in Legends I currently have a Wyrdeer and Ursaluna. Both normal types but Wyrdeer adds psychic type to my team while Ursaluna adds ground type.
  • I always nickname my main team. Other stuff I catch usually doesn’t have a nickname.
I always keep my starter too, it seems wrong to not use your first Pokemon. So in every game I have them on my main team

The only time they aren't, is when Im briefly training other Pokemon, but my starter is always on my main team. But I sometimes also take them off if Im going to a gym where they're extremly vulnerable too.

I always catch my Pokemon in regular Pokéballs.
Me, too! I prefer the look of the standard Pokéball to any others. They're a better bargain at the Pokémart anyway. Even if an Ultra Ball is two times as likely to catch a Pokémon, it costs four times as much as a regular Pokéball. You'd have four chances to catch a Pokémon for the same price as one doubled chance, and I think the odds with four Pokéballs is better than one Ultra Ball. And in older games, they cost even more. So you'd get six chances with a regular Pokéball for the same price as one Ultra ball.

Me, too! I prefer the look of the standard Pokéball to any others. They're a better bargain at the Pokémart anyway. Even if an Ultra Ball is two times as likely to catch a Pokémon, it costs four times as much as a regular Pokéball. You'd have four chances to catch a Pokémon for the same price as one doubled chance, and I think the odds with four Pokéballs is better than one Ultra Ball. And in older games, they cost even more. So you'd get six chances with a regular Pokéball for the same price as one Ultra ball.
Wow Now I realize how much money I wasted. Now I can see why people like them in regular balls, I guess the ultra balls do look pretty... ugly? I don't care what balls I keep mine in but maybe when I start Sun I should keep all of mine in regular because there classic Pokeballs, what's not to love?

Starter Pokemon, straight into storage as soon as possible. I always consider the first wild Pokemon I catch to be my starter, thus, I will always love Pidgey, my starter way back in '98.

Names. I always nickname my Pokemon and there's a few Pokemon that will always be on my team or in rotation if they're in that game and I always make sure they have the same nickname. Those Pokemon are:
- Pidgeot : Kit
- Luxray : Gizmo
- Houndoom : Jazz (named after my old dog)
- Mawile : Talim
- Gardevoir : Bella
- Lopunny : Riley
- Floatzel: Mango

Legendaries? Straight into storage. I'm just not that into them.

Traditionally, I always:
  • Keep my starter Pokemon on my team from beginning to end. It doesn't feel right just abandoning them in the PC or straight up releasing them when the games make such a good job emphasizing how important your very first partner is and how that bond is immediately formed between you two (just look at Sun/Moon when you not only select your starter, but they select YOU too 🥰 still the cutest thing ever)
  • Have a grass, water, fire and electric type on my main team. It just feels balanced that way. If I can I try to have a poison-type too, as it's one of my favorite types.
  • Give my main team themed nicknames (food, mythology, Mario/Zelda enemies and so on) such as Sushi my Samurott, Habanero my Typhlosion, Leviathan my Lanturn, Wolfos my Mightyena and Goomba my Breloom.
  • Have either 3/3 male and female Pokemon on my team or 4/2 male and female Pokemon.
  • Have one or two mono type Pokemon on my team while the rest are dual typed.
  • Catch all my monsters in standard Poke Balls, even legendaries. I broke away from this tradition in Legends Arceus.
  • Name my player either Betsy (my real name) Panda or the version color/theme for that specific game (i.e. Red, Leaf, Emerald, etc.) and I name my rival after my spouse. That way I can go like "hey babe, I just destroyed you in battle lol"
  • Have at least 1 of every healing item/held item/pokeball in my bag and of course, organize them all.
  • If my Pokemon knows a status move, I relocate that move to the third slot of their moveset. I then put all STAB moves on top so that it matches their typing, for example my Venusaur's moveset would look like this: Solar Beam, Sludge Bomb, LeechSeed/Sunny Day, and then if I can I try to teach them a non-STAB move or another status move as the 4th move, such as Earthquake/Toxic.
  • I don't use Legendaries or Mythicals on my main team. Just for fun, however, I did add Zapdos to my team in my most recent playthrough of Fire Red, but that's only because I've played that game like 50 times already and thought "meh, why not?"
  • Turn off Exp. Share/deposit it in the PC. I prefer to train my mons individually. The only exception to this is Legends Arcues. This game broke several of my traditions only because the game itself broke the 20+ year old formula, something that was truly welcomed.

• Always pick the water starter, unless it's a remake - then it's whichever I fancy at the time.
  • Teams, as well as high-use Pokemon (shinies, personal faves, etc.) are always nicknamed.
  • When in a new gen, the team must consist only of the new Pokemon.
  • When in a remake, the team must not be identical to the original team.
  • Unless there's a good reason, run through the game with the first one I catch of the type I want, regardless of how poor the IVs are. Sometimes makes it a little more challenging, given that most of them have awful stats.
  • No shiny hunting during the main storyline. Makes the ones I do find a little more special to me.

Mine are rather boring:
  • I always use the male character and name my character ~Kilza~ (duh)
  • I always use the water starter.
  • I always use my starter on my team.
  • My team only uses Pokemon introduced in that generation.
  • I don't use any legendaries on my team

Here are some of mine-
  • If I ever play through a game multiple times, use different Pokemon on each playthrough.
  • The only healing items I use are vending machine drinks, berries, and regional treats like lava cookies, castelia cones, etc. Potions, Ethers, and herbs are a big no-no. Sometimes this can be pretty challenging because the MooMoo milk seller might be really far into the story, and I've noticed that there haven't been as many vending machines since B/W2.
  • Box all legendries I catch until the post game
  • Put an amulet coin on my highest level team member
  • No grinding

Pick whatever starter that looks good to me out of the three and just go with the flow of the game. I don’t like resetting in my games anymore, so natures, Pokéballs, etc. don’t matter to me. Plus, doing it this way makes the game a little more interesting. Other than that, I always base my character off of me if there is character customization in it. I always use my real name too. 🙂

Last edited:
- Choosing the water type starter
- Using the Master Ball with the first Legendary I find
- Trying to use heals the less I can
- Having a balanced and diverse pokemon team

Back