Do you find yourself doing the same things across towns?

Believe

a sloppy mess
Bells
New Horizons Token
Tasty Cake
I'm finally getting some good progress on my 3rd town, and I'm starting to realize it's looking a lot like my 2nd town (just a different color scheme). I was hoping to try something new, but I keep finding myself gravitating towards the same pathing / designing styles. How do you get yourself to try new things and go outside your comfort zone with designing / landscaping? I'm trying to find dream towns to visit and get some inspiration, but they're all sortave looking the same / yet to find something that piques my interest :(

This is my first time trying to landscape a town, but I have noticed in previous towns that I do end up collecting some of the same furniture sets and placing a lot of the same PWPs. What can I say, I have consistent tastes :p

I have had the same thoughts that my towns are similar, esp what was Secret and Moriyo. Both were fall woodsy towns with orange in the color scheme. I felt like one was just magic and the other was without a magic theme :/

So I tried to make the house interiors and exteriors different from each other. Yes they can have bedrooms and kitchens, but the bedroom and kitchen is vastly different from the other. I went to many dream towns for inspiration for this. I also altered what fruit, flowers, villagers, character names, seasons, placement of landscaping, placement of buildings and town layout in general to use. Secret was going to have 2 neighborhoods, compared to Moriyo that has 2 stripes of house. Moriyo has dirt paths, Secret was going to have QR paths. Most of Moriyo's characters names are naturey (the only exception is Dulce) while Secret had more actual yet unique names like Beatriz. Stuff like that to make them different.

I did decorate my house in New Leaf in a very similar manner to my house in the original GameCube version. That's mainly because I love the Asian furniture in the game and worked on collecting that first. But I didn't really do any landscaping in my GameCube town, so my New Leaf town was my first foray into growing hybrids, planting and cutting down trees, etc.

I'm planning to make a second New Leaf town and I have several ideas for it. I want it to be different from my first town, so the main way I plan on accomplishing that is by choosing a completely different theme. My main town right now is partially Zen themed, with a separate residential area. My next town will likely be a more Victorian/Gothic themed town. So I'll make use of different furniture, different PWPs and a different landscaping design because I'll be going from a more natural to a more sculpted town overall.

I definitely struggle with this. I’m in the fairly early stages of my second town and now that i’m really putting effort into getting the landscaping going I’m finding myself laying paths in similar ways to my first town, it’s definitely hard to break the cycle!
I’m going for a woodsy town in my second one which is not what I excel at but the whole point was to challenge myself so I guess that’s my own fault, but oh well! I’m still working hard to go outside my comfort zone~

I have a big problem with this, lol. Once I find a room design/PWP placement that looks good, I have a hard time seeing any other way to make it look good/different. I'm hoping with Gracey and Fujimori being so vastly different, I'll force myself into some creativity, but we'll see.

I do have a lot of similarities between towns but it doesn’t really bother me that much. I’d use an idea from my main town and kind of work off it and change it a little for my second town. For example, I love natural towns so my main town is completely natural with no patterns on the ground and only dirt paths. In my second town, I changed it just a little and made an area that is a natural forest and an area that is landscaped with path designs. I took some of the flower ideas/combos I had in my main town and transferred them over to my second town. However, while my main town has many different colours, my second town has only one or two colour themes but with similar landscaping designs. It doesn’t bother me too much because the way I play, I usually just focus on one town anyways while I leave the other “complete” and on hiatus. So even though they are a little similar, they still feel quite fresh to me.

because of my main town looking really nice, i've tried to replicate it in newer towns, but it never ends up feeling the same. i don't want to "copy" myself, and i end up resetting towns constantly because i'm not happy with it like i am with my main

I feel like my two current towns look pretty different but the way I decorate is the same. Both of my towns have paths and the landscaping is really organized and symmetrical. I feel like I always make my towns look smaller than what they actually are.

Back