Customization/Color variants - Which are your favorites?

RollingAntony

Bells
Dreamy Bear Plush
Holiday Candy Cane 2021
Wallopoid
The Bell Tree World Championship 2021 Patch
Turquoise Squid Easter Egg
Hello everyone! One of my most liked big feature of New Horizons is the extensive customization and color variants that bring many options to the table. They provide a way to express yourself through a myriad of colors and opportunities to take your creativity to a new level- (sometimes they are almost like new furniture on their own) and I would like to know, which are your favorites?

“Customization” refers to the ones you can easily achieve by using customization kits while color variants is about those items that need to be acquired separately in order to access the other options. Some are even combined, they can have color variations but also be customized. Around 700 furniture items have variations of the ~1,200 currently on the game- and some handheld items/tools also feature some kind of variation. There are some kinds of variety mixed here:

a) Many custom options/color variants are usually palette swaps, that is, they don’t change anything else other than the colors on the design. They only substitute one color for another:

FtrStarMoonChairL_Remake_0_0.png
FtrStarMoonChairL_Remake_5_0.png
//
FtrRattanChairS_Remake_2_0.png
FtrRattanChairS_Remake_3_0.png

The Crescent Moon chair, Rattan armchair and Imperial chest change colors but nothing else. Both the armchair and chest may also change several colors at once, such as the cushion/chair or wood/knobs.

b) Others are kind of more elaborate palette swaps- they change colors but also the way the colors are arranged on the item itself, as if the pattern was completely different. They may be a bit more interesting because they offer a little change on the design:

FtrAcorsticguitar_Remake_6_0.png
//
FtrPotteryjug_Remake_0_0.png
FtrPotteryjug_Remake_4_0.png
//
FtrAlomapot_Remake_3_0.png
//
FtrScreenByoubu_Remake_3_0.png

The pink variant of the Acoustic guitar features a little flower design not present on any other color, the pink Aroma Pot has a cherry blossom instead of a circle, the Kids’ Tent may feature colorful stripes or floral details, the Classic pitcher goes from the standard clay to a full-fruit design and the screen goes from yellowish tiger to smokish dragon.

c) There are other items where the variations feature an added element not present on the “original” design, which makes them pop-out and stand above the others. Some even feature more “complex” variations on the design of the item itself, changing the model or adding different things:

FtrRecordbox_Remake_0_3.png
FtrRecordbox_Remake_1_2.png
//
FtrBearL_Remake_5_2.png
//
FtrClaytoy_Remake_3_0.png
//
FtrMobile_Remake_1_0.png
FtrMobile_Remake_2_0.png
//
FtrFallenleavesfire_Remake_1_0.png
//
FtrMomDoll_Remake_5_0.png

Both the Record box and Locker add little “stickers”, the Papa bear gets a cute ribbon on its neck, the Leaf campire gets marshmallows, the Modeling clay can feature a dinosaur, the Yule Log adds strawberries/chestnuts/etc depending on its flavor, the Mush low stool can resemble a grainy truffle, the faces on the Spooky lantern depict different emotions, your Laptop can reveal that you were shopping online, the mobile can feature sheeps or dolphins, the Mom’s plushie can be a normal pupper or a lion roary and the Colorful wheel may use numbers or fruits.

So, with all those examples, what are your most liked variations? Did you already know about all these little details? Here are some (not all) of my favorites:

173047110_4010593392341754_667297831418172520_n.jpg

173127860_4010593402341753_6478825008729198535_n.jpg

173135941_4010593395675087_5094187479536977191_n.jpg

Apologies for the pic spam.

I tend to go for the darker color variations, like blacks and dark browns. If an item has the option to apply custom designs, I will go for that than the basic default patterns or Sable's designs. I tend to avoid white, pink or pastel variations of furniture, just because it doesn't fit the theme of my island. If I do use lighter colors; I'm gonna corrupt it. 😌

Not a fan of the mom items. I do like the sweaters and aprons but that's about it.

i genuinely love the fact that even though i’ve had the game since launch and my furniture catalog is complete, there’s still some customization options that i didn’t know existed! my taste in things is honestly all over the place but these are some of my absolute favourite variations;
03786789-9FDD-42E2-BD95-A13983401796.png
5B0C701D-ECF8-4A2D-A5B5-461E918685D4.png
6A3FE5E0-03C4-423E-8B1D-37196A075728.png
0303B7C3-064F-4D88-A98A-85EDBFC84877.png
603E1D53-13CD-4C9E-B867-8952165FB1F7.png
BFB34866-9B97-4ED3-9688-167E7E1F8EDA.png
73C53163-F24C-45E8-996A-B69BBC7F118F.png
17962AE7-1DDE-45F1-8E3E-975F8C83A48B.png
4D5CAAA6-8789-42EF-9249-4BF763DAE9F4.png
A596FD6D-7323-404A-BD2C-F68099132C17.png
654EE0BA-0C6E-4C6A-8237-9F2E8F643DE8.png
D6FE79C2-4B25-49AD-800C-066487647B5E.png

I don’t like pink or pastel that much, so color wise, I prefer darker colors. However, when it comes to the elaborate kimono rack, I like all the variations including the pink. I think the light blue one is one of my favorites.

The frozen set is my favorite set and even though blue and purple are my favorite colors, I think my favorite color for that set is yellow. Not sure if it would have been a different color had my design not been on the beach and had used other colors instead. I do wish it had some colors that didn’t look neon like white, black, brown. The frozen tree is a nice substitute for a dead tree.

I like the customization options for the stacks of magazines and stacks of books, though I wish there were a few more options, as well as the variations for the single book and magazine.

Might post again when I think of other specific item color options or variations that I like.

I'm a sucker for white or pastel colours but what I love the most about customisation is on some furniture you can add your own pattern instead to really put a stamp on your design and overall island aesthetic. What I've seen from some ANCH players is amazing though, I wish I had the talent that some clearly have when it comes to customisation.

Customization is really fun and I'm glad for all the color options, especially the things we can use custom designs on. The watermelon beach ball was genius and a favorite item. The ice cream sticker on the fridge is fun. The aroma pots and classic pitcher are all very well done. In general, the diys have really nice color options.

I do wish all items were customizable, instead of separate colors being a distinct item and island locked. Maybe one day they'll allow it.

Customization is great, but when it comes to trying to get different variants of furniture that is like "island variant only" it sucks. You literally have to go and ask anyone if they have the color of the furniture you are looking for. This would not be a big deal if there was a way to customize the furniture items instead of having to go to someone else's island just to get that said color.

I tend to like dark, green or general natural (like a yellow moon or black/white panda) variations. But i must say I still forget or just don't bother with customizing or other variations because even if you want a whole color scheme, not all colors all match up.
This is especially a think with clothing, where not all reds or whites or yellows are the same, and it tends to look kinda tacky when you try and match it.

Thats why darks and greens are a good option imo, because they don't all like the same but tend to match up better anyway

I love customization in this game! So many choices! It's nice it's not just colour changes but as well pattern or shape as you showed. But I agree with someone above, needing to go to someone else island is not fun even if I'm not sure this is real: do we really need to buy I don't know imperial item from someone else if we want blue and met red on our island?
I thought the colour was random but we could still buy it someday or meet it in the balloons.
If this is true that is very bad, especially for people not having online or not wanting to use it for selling or trading.

It's oddly exciting to take an item to a workbench and see what customisation options it has. If I could just remember to buy customisation kits then we'd be golden.

There are so many good variants so it's hard to narrow it down, but some of the ones that came to mind:

1618443728315.png
1618443829895.png
1618443983635.png
1618444032393.png
1618444100130.png
1618444239899.png
1618444279769.png
1618444410002.png
1618444464151.png
1618444508832.png
1618444563889.png
1618444756213.png
1618444819120.png
1618444892969.png

looking at this, I see how predictable my tastes are lol

Not a fan of the mom items. I do like the sweaters and aprons but that's about it.
Heresy.

(I love the mom items, they are so diverse with their customisation options :p)

i genuinely love the fact that even though i’ve had the game since launch and my furniture catalog is complete, there’s still some customization options that i didn’t know existed! my taste in things is honestly all over the place but these are some of my absolute favourite variations;
The bears have so many nice options and the garden wagon is indeed very pretty!

I don’t like pink or pastel that much, so color wise, I prefer darker colors. However, when it comes to the elaborate kimono rack, I like all the variations including the pink. I think the light blue one is one of my favorites.
Yes, the elaborate kimono is gorgeous. I have one outside Ables and trying to rotate it seasonally.

Customization is great, but when it comes to trying to get different variants of furniture that is like "island variant only" it sucks. You literally have to go and ask anyone if they have the color of the furniture you are looking for. This would not be a big deal if there was a way to customize the furniture items instead of having to go to someone else's island just to get that said color.
You still have almost 400 items to customize and find something to love on your own :)

I love customization in this game! So many choices! It's nice it's not just colour changes but as well pattern or shape as you showed. But I agree with someone above, needing to go to someone else island is not fun even if I'm not sure this is real: do we really need to buy I don't know imperial item from someone else if we want blue and met red on our island?
I thought the colour was random but we could still buy it someday or meet it in the balloons.
If this is true that is very bad, especially for people not having online or not wanting to use it for selling or trading.
Color variants are locked on the shop, but you can still get through Redd, Wisp, balloons and tree drops. Of course that method is very slow and relies too much on percentages. With 350+ items having color variants and many of them having up to 6 different colors, it's easier to get them from other people.

It's oddly exciting to take an item to a workbench and see what customisation options it has. If I could just remember to buy customisation kits then we'd be golden.
I agree, with any new item I get- I instantly run to see if I can customize it. It became a habit, even if I don't have the kits with me.

It really depends on the theme I am going for.

But most of the time, I pick darker colored variations or whichever looks more natural (especially on wooden furniture). I avoid loud and overly vivid colors unless it fits the aesthetic of the room/area/season. I also try to keep the colors match as close as possible.

For example, my basement gym uses mostly black and red variations of the equipment.

2021032420161000_s.jpg

Meanwhile, my main room's current motif are wood and yellow.

2021021310261900_s.jpg

Heresy.

(I love the mom items, they are so diverse with their customisation options :p)

The bears have so many nice options and the garden wagon is indeed very pretty!

Yes, the elaborate kimono is gorgeous. I have one outside Ables and trying to rotate it seasonally.

You still have almost 400 items to customize and find something to love on your own :)

Color variants are locked on the shop, but you can still get through Redd, Wisp, balloons and tree drops. Of course that method is very slow and relies too much on percentages. With 350+ items having color variants and many of them having up to 6 different colors, it's easier to get them from other people.

I agree, with any new item I get- I instantly run to see if I can customize it. It became a habit, even if I don't have the kits with me.
Oh, thank you for the explanation!
I understand better now haha!

I am so happy you shared your post, I've just seen so many customisations of things that I didn't know existed! The acoustic guitar, the wax burner, modelling clay and mobiles have so many cute customisation options. ❤

Back