• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Mafia Critique Thread

question and not really critique sorry ): but now that i've gotten into mafia and read back on a lot of old games - is meta really that valid for reading people as scum/town?
i lurked a lot in binding of isaac mainly cause it seemed a lot of people were lynching based on meta... but what if you lynch them based on that, and they flip town? does this just mean they broke their meta and it's really no longer valid?

question and not really critique sorry ): but now that i've gotten into mafia and read back on a lot of old games - is meta really that valid for reading people as scum/town?
i lurked a lot in binding of isaac mainly cause it seemed a lot of people were lynching based on meta... but what if you lynch them based on that, and they flip town? does this just mean they broke their meta and it's really no longer valid?
Meta can be pretty powerful which is why some players opted to put in less effort overtime because kills/deaths/lynches would end up being far too meta based. I would say that it would have to be a few consecutive games in order for "meta" to be broken, as some games something might have come up and instead of opting for a replacement (re: either too late or want the game as a distraction), **** happens so piss poor play could be interpreted as their "scum" meta when really they just lack motivation.

Meta is very good usually. As I've said before, I have yet to meet a player on TBT that doesn't follow their meta to some degree. It's always why trundle is obvious as scum. Meta is love, meta is life. If you put in the immense amount of time it takes to actually meta read someone, it's incredibly fun and a good attribute to perfect in your playstyle kit.

It does however involve a lot of reading and time. I've spent a few HOURS on a post with heavy meta. I won't lie and say it's easy, it's actually one of the harder things to do in mafia and do well. It takes practice and good analytical skill to do properly.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Critique: forum mafia takes too much effort and stress and I can't play it as an adult. :lemon:

Just be afk like everyone else

/shade

Last edited:
Makes sense, ty both.

Lmao "Meta is love, meta is life." thats great.. will keep in mind.

Is constant questioning a good way to find scum?

Is constant questioning a good way to find scum?
I've always thought it to be. In people answering, they have to give their stances on something, and through that you can point out logical fallacies and tone read them better

I got to play as town for a day in a mafia game on Mafia Universe. I was killed N1 because all my reads were correct, but it was still fun. The town unfortunately did not read through my posts after I died. In the second game I was scum and it was obvious immediately.

I still don't really know what my differences are, since my last question didn't get me that much: what IS my scum and town meta, like how do I act?

I still don't really know what my differences are, since my last question didn't get me that much: what IS my scum and town meta, like how do I act?

Definitely your attitude, you can get fairly emotional when you get accused of being scum so if you get mad, it signifies you being more likely scum, and if you get like more on the upset side then ur usually town. Imo

I guess if you get agitated but don't lash out, your either town or like a really unimportant mafia member

Last edited:
Hey what are common things to say when people slip as scum? I'm trying to be more observant and watch out for these things this game.

Hey what are common things to say when people slip as scum? I'm trying to be more observant and watch out for these things this game.

Looking out for blue roles, more in favor of people claiming, town reading people for no real reason(because scum knows they're town), taking credit for a scum lynch if they really didn't do anything, saying practically the same thing their scum buddies just said, showing no distraught/faking sadness over death/mislynch of a town, especially blues. Y'know stuff like that.

Last edited:
if anyone wants to critique me I'd love it c:

I think I'm going to change my playstyle to be a bit more flamboyant. Like tarot day 1 but a little less than that. Thoughts?

if anyone wants to critique me I'd love it c:

I actually think you're a pretty strong player. You analyse well as town and put a lot of thought into your posts. The only critique I'd give would be to work on your participation when you're NOT town aligned. You tend to become a bit sus when you're quiet because we're all expecting you to post. I'd just practise analysing players and posting "reads" when you're mafia/third party to make good posts that follow your town meta a bit more closely.

I think I'm going to change my playstyle to be a bit more flamboyant. Like tarot day 1 but a little less than that. Thoughts?

I'm going to have to say bad idea on this one. Being a annoying and intentionally confusing town is what gets you lynched on D1 regardless of alignment. The last thing you want to do when you're town-aligned is make other people that are town-aligned sus of you because you're acting silly. No one should ever be claiming on D1 unless they're about to be lynched. You don't want to become that policy lynch because it does happen when people intentionally mislead town when they're town in previous games.

Just play smart.

for the record, please just try to use peoples preferred pronouns so games dont derail into arguments about gender, it gets really annoying to read. its fine to mess up once or twice but purposely doing it to spite people ruins the game and makes it less fun for everyone. fine if you dont agree with it, but seriously no one wants to read two people argue about gender pronouns.

i did it on accident. literally i said sorry and felt bad. again wtf?

- - - Post Merge - - -

just keep posting it about it keep at it

i did it on accident. literally i said sorry and felt bad. again wtf?

- - - Post Merge - - -

just keep posting it about it keep at it

im trying not to get involved since im host, but i really dont think sensitive topics such as gender should be discussed in a mafia thread, it usually leads to locked threads and i personally do not want my game to get locked over accusations of transphobia and such. to me, its the same as people posting spam and ruining the game. i am not blaming you, but please keep it on the downlow with the whole pronoun thing - mafia games should not involve politics.

im trying not to get involved since im host, but i really dont think sensitive topics such as gender should be discussed in a mafia thread, it usually leads to locked threads and i personally do not want my game to get locked over accusations of transphobia and such. to me, its the same as people posting spam and ruining the game. i am not blaming you, but please keep it on the downlow with the whole pronoun thing - mafia games should not involve politics.

you said i did it on purpose.

you said i did it on purpose.

i apologize then, that was my impression, since it kept getting brought up in the thread. but regardless i think everyone needs a reminder to not get too emotionally heated over mafia, it's just a game, and i could see some people were getting very emotional over the pronoun usage. its just better if we left politics out of mafia, yeah?

Back