• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Clarification on 2 Switches, 2 Games, Save Data Backup?

Caracal

Bells
I couldn't find any concrete info on what I'm trying to accomplish. I did some research and I have an idea, I'm just wondering if what I have is correct. I don't want to lose my island I spent nearly 1000 hours on.

I'm upgrading my old Switch I've had since launch. It's falling apart and the battery is terrible. I want to move all my games over EXCEPT for ACNH. This new Switch will be my new default, my old one being like a backup or something, and will only be used for my OLD ACNH file. I keep seeing people wanting to use their "new Switch" as an AC-only machine, but I am the opposite. I will be using my new Switch for everything, and leaving my old Switch, almost, behind. I just DON'T want to lose my original island I've worked so hard on!

explain.png

Old Switch is my launch Switch. It has my main profile (Profile A), which is connected to my Nintendo account. It has my NSO sub on it, and all my games. Profile B is my side-account made solely to have another character in ACNH.

I've set up my New Switch, an OLED model this evening. I've made it my "Secondary" Switch, under my same Nintendo Account.
I want to move everything except for ACNH. This seems feasible since ACNH's save data is "special" and can't be simply carried over, and you have to use a dedicated app to do so (forgot the name).

Question 1: If I move everything via System Transfer, what happens to my ACNH file?
  • Does my save data get deleted? Or do I have to transfer it by itself using the special dedicated app?

• What happens to my ACNH software? Do I still have access to it on the Old Switch after it's brought over to the new one? Or is the save archived to the system and I have to re-buy ACNH? (I don't mind rebuying)

Question 1.5: My Old Switch has a digital copy of ACNH. If I transfer my account to my New Switch, and give my New Switch the digital copy, will a physical cartridge work for my original save file on my Old Switch?
I mean, it makes sense. My New Switch, ideally, will have it digital so I can access my physical games more easily, but my Old Switch will have no purpose aside from revisiting my old ACNH island. My Old Switch will simply be an ACNH machine, I can keep a physical cartridge in there if necessary. The save data is saved to the system, right? It's local, on the system, and cannot be easily transferred, so it's kind of "stuck" there until I manually transfer it. So a cart would just allow me to run the game as normal right?

I'm just being extra careful with this question... 🤭

Question 2: Can I use the same Nintendo Account with two games, two Switches? What happens to the Save Data Backup feature/cloud save?
  • I read on different forums that you CAN use two games, two Switches on one account, you just can't be online at the same time. But then I've seen people say as long as you have two NSO subs and you use a side account on one of the consoles, you can trade with yourself.

Is this scenario correct?: Say I need something from my original island on my New Switch. Since I'm using Profile A, I cannot use Profile A's character on Old Switch. If I want to trade, I will have to use Profile B to bring the items over, because Profile B has its own, separate NSO sub.

• Save data: I saw some people say that they use the same NSO account, same Nintendo account, two Switches, two copies of the game. However, this is not a problem for the backup feature as there's two different timestamps or something? Like two distinct IDs for the islands that make them unique. This means that if I have two games, they cannot overwrite each other, yes?

I think that's it. I think I had more questions but those are the big ones out of the way and my biggest concerns. I'm busy with work so I probably won't bother with trying to play until this weekend. Might've over-explained and repeated a lot but I wanted to be VERY clear and thorough. 😂

Back