• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Cartridges and multiple 3DS's? Question about corruption?

meo

Bells
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Fortune Cookie
So, back in august I purchased a 3DS XL and a second cartridge to cycle. I've been using my cycling town cartridge on the XL since purchasing it but I really want to use my main town's cartridge instead (bigger screen and I use that FC more with friends on pokemon x anyhow). I'm worried about just automatically swapping because I remember there was a huge debate about people experiencing corruption with 2 cartridges on one 3DS (even though I'd just be swapping not consistently using them on the same)...
So my question is: Do you think it's safe for me to just swap the two therefore my main will be in my XL and my cycling in my old standard DS?

Also, won't my streetpass homes be gone once I swap the two?

Thanks. :)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that it was the having two of the downloadable version in one 3DS (even with two SD cards), and not two cartridge versions that causes corruption. Also, I don't think you'll lose the HHA houses. I've swapped SD cards before and the houses were still there, so I think the houses are saved to the game cartridge.

I'm pretty sure that it was the having two of the downloadable version in one 3DS (even with two SD cards), and not two cartridge versions that causes corruption. Also, I don't think you'll lose the HHA houses. I've swapped SD cards before and the houses were still there, so I think the houses are saved to the game cartridge.

I remember when I seriously debated it all, I was instructed by not only support staff but users that the safest option was 1 digital/1 cartridge on the same 3DS to prevent corruption. So instead I just went and got the XL so I didn't have to worry about it and I really wanted the bigger size in general. I should of just swapped from the beginning but I didn't immediately think about it. I guess I'll just go ahead and do it...seems like a lot of people on here actually do use 2 cartridges and have been okay (and if I'm just swapping them it should be even lower risk?). >.<;

Last edited:

That's all correct. You can swap physical copies as much as you like with no worry -- multiple copies in one console, or playing a copy on several consoles. And the houses are part of your game save; so they won't disappear. You'll have no trouble switching consoles at all.

That's all correct. You can swap physical copies as much as you like with no worry -- multiple copies in one console, or playing a copy on several consoles. And the houses are part of your game save; so they won't disappear. You'll have no trouble switching consoles at all.

Thanks, I feel more comfortable now. I just was scared to do it and lose all the progess cataloging/villager wise. :) I really love the graphics so much more on the XL and since I play with my personal town more it just makes so much more sense to use it on the XL. Sorry if my questions were dumb, thanks again! :) <3

Not at all! No question is dumb.

There's no reason you can't play both games in the XL, btw -- just use the older 3DS when you need to travel back and forth. (Or if you want to pick up streetpasses with the 2nd game). Do not worry, it won't hurt to swap the game in and out. The only thing it will affect is which mayor and house is streetpassed out -- the DS will send out the house from whichever town you played last, if it matters to you. (I hate sending out my 2nd town's mayor so I always make sure to open my main town before I go anywhere!)

I'm just gonna share my experience... So I have 1 digital copy (my main town) on my 3DS XL, and one cartridge that I previously used also on my 3DS XL, but now I have a 2DS, so I switched it over to that one.

I keep my cycling town on the cartridge. When I do a trade, I previously used my 3DS XL. Then I would give the cartridge to my boyfriend to put in his 3DS XL and trade my cartridge items over to my digital copy. He also has a cartridge of the game.

My game has never gotten corrupted. Even one time when I accidentally took the cartridge out with the game on O.O I thought I was doomed. But it was okay. So this cartridge regularly switches between 3 DS systems, and 2 of these DS systems have other ACNL games that are established with them... No problems at all for me. I think what you would need to worry about is if you were swapping a digital copy via an SD card. Then things could get tricky. But you should be just fine switching a physical copy, even though you will lose spotpass houses and have a new friendcode that you have to give out, your save data will still be the same.

Well, it finally happened. Two 3DS XL. Both had an ACNL cartridge. I decided to use one DS for Pokemon and the other for both ACNL games.. Just switch cartridges. Turned main town on and Rover was staring at me. A game that was started in June 2013 is totally lost. This is the first I've heard of corrupted cartridges and not downloads.

Beware. Not a good night at all.

I'm pretty sure that it was the having two of the downloadable version in one 3DS (even with two SD cards), and not two cartridge versions that causes corruption.

Is it even possible to own multiple digital copies on one system? I would've thought it wasn't.

Well, it finally happened. Two 3DS XL. Both had an ACNL cartridge. I decided to use one DS for Pokemon and the other for both ACNL games.. Just switch cartridges. Turned main town on and Rover was staring at me. A game that was started in June 2013 is totally lost. This is the first I've heard of corrupted cartridges and not downloads.

Beware. Not a good night at all.

Wow... that's scary. What's the point of even owning a physical copy of the game if you can't take it out and use it on a different console?

Back