Buying Amiibo Cards from Etsy?

I was so close to buying a Pietro faux-amiibo card but couldn't justify spending money on one. I just ended up using TBT to purchase him from someone who had his amiibo! I saw a marshal card get sold on mercari for like $60 if I remember correctly? I don't think I love any villager that much/I'm not much of a collector.

Caution story for those making your own Amiibos:

I spent too much money because decorating them is so much fun. I've made 90~ chosen coins so far. Have an extra 100 stickers left still.

Want to make some into keychains/jewelry. And I have a sewing machine I bought ages ago so I'm also thinking of making some plushies.

It's my current favorite crafts project. Send help...

these knock-offs ride a thin line between legal and illegal - almost all are bootleg and not official.
I don't know if Nintendo can ever take action because the chips are identical in almost every way.

However, legitimate ones are... few and far between because nintendo has not produced them in awhile despite the demand, so unfortunately the only solution right now is spoofing... (which can be seen by some as an act of hacking)

I have bought amiibo coins from etsy before, but not cards! My experience was great, they worked the exact same way as the cards do and were very cute!! You can get them for much cheaper than the authentic cards. Apple was going for like $30 on Ebay and I think I got her for $5-6 on Etsy!

I saw some ones with REALLY pretty artwork the other day and I almost bought them but I saw that people had issues with delivery time and I've had enough of that lately (I kind of went on a shopping spree in June and some things still haven't arrived hahahaha). If it's a person's own artwork I don't mind the price being marked up bc I love supporting artists and it's kind of like buying a print but one that has more use.

Well normally I'm absolutely against things like that. Not a fan of hacking or copying which will damage a company.
But this time Nintendo is just being weird again and creating this problem while it was easy to avoid... The game is so popular! Almost the best selling Switch game. Why didn't they release new amiibo cards or just a reboot of the old ones? They could've made a lot of money and keep everything pretty legal (sure not everyone will do that).

The cards are just too hard to get and the prices are insane. Who is going to pay €60/$60 for a specific virtual animal? Ok maybe some people with too much money but most fans will choose the cheaper way. But just fyi: haven't used a hacked amiibo myself haha

I bought some off eBay, and I've made my own too, if you're going to use a lot of them I'd say making them yourself is way cheaper, and it's pretty simple :)

Buying them, I would either get ones that are more convenient (I bought some little NFC tag ones that can fit in switch multi-game cases) or ones with nice art :)

Since I’m old and have no clue how to make them myself, I have bought custom cards from eBay uk. They’ve cost me typically £4-£5 all in and every one has worked perfectly :)

I bought 10 from AliExpress for a few bucks each. The cards took a while to arrive but they feel good quality. One of them didn’t work but they quickly refunded me for it

If you just want a surefire way to invite a specific villager to your island without going through all the island hopping / trading / campsite shenanigans then I would definitely recommend! I have gotten cards off etsy before and they worked perfectly, just make sure to check reviews

I heard the amiibo cards were going to be restocked a while ago. I guess that didnt happen. It's crazy though because they could make soooo much money off them due to the game's popularity.

I remember how hard the cards were to find when HHD came out. Limiting items like that only help scalpers.

I’ve bought some back in the New Leaf days. Never had any issues but it does have the downside of having basically no resale value.

But, like, if I recall, they’re usually so cheap that they aren’t really worth trying to resale anyway.

I really want the real things but since they're no longer for sale I learned how to make my own. I have made them for friends but I never ask them to pay (most cover the material costs anyway because friends are sweet), but since they're not official, I refuse to make money off them. Some sellers do have really cute ideas (I've seen them in little coin-shaped protectors and put into a bell bag, for instance), which I wouldn't feel as bad paying for the creativity involved in something like that.

i've gotten *this* close to buying them (mainly for the cute artwork i'll be honest) but i enjoy island hopping a lot and I don't think there's any villagers in particular that I like enough (that aren't already on my island) for me to want to get their card. maybe one day...

I wouldn't by spoofed amiibos on etsy. If they had more genuine cards I would but def NO to spoofed.

i don't buy from etsy since i don't have an account aha

but i do make my own amiibos and it's honestly the best thing since i can't afford proper ones lol
they work perfectly and are so worth it ☆☆☆
Heads up if someone hasn't said this already, but you don't need an account!

Well normally I'm absolutely against things like that. Not a fan of hacking or copying which will damage a company.
But this time Nintendo is just being weird again and creating this problem while it was easy to avoid... The game is so popular! Almost the best selling Switch game. Why didn't they release new amiibo cards or just a reboot of the old ones? They could've made a lot of money and keep everything pretty legal (sure not everyone will do that).

The cards are just too hard to get and the prices are insane. Who is going to pay €60/$60 for a specific virtual animal? Ok maybe some people with too much money but most fans will choose the cheaper way. But just fyi: haven't used a hacked amiibo myself haha
I feel like, if Nintendo were against it, they'd have started cracking down on it harder. I saw a post about someone's Nintendo account getting suspended, and they said that before that they'd used an Amiibo off Etsy. I couldn't imagine that would be the case for suspension!

No, but I'm currently on the fence about it. I thought they only recent had stock issues because of New Horizons, but after hearing how this has been a long on-going issue, I'm not too sure if I'm willing to wait for Nintendo to restock them.

I know there are some that view it as hacking, but Nintendo is really not helping their consumers with this; it could've been a win-win for both parties. If they aren't going to produce and they're just going to ignore the demand, well then no one should be surprised if other ways of getting them are discovered.

You are not taking any money from Nintendo’s pockets by buying Amiibo stickers etc online. The original cards are out of print. Nintendo would not make any money from you buying a card they already sold to someone else. If Nintendo restocks cards for customers in your region or offers paid DLC to pick your villager, then sure, a moral argument is relevant. But for now, I can’t imagine exerting precious mental energy on this. Do what feels right to you.

Back