• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Bilingual people, what language of animal crossing do you think is better?

I prefer the Japanese version over the English version (English is my native language). The English version is bit too over the top for me and I don't like the catchphrases. However, it's probably more because I'm used to it since I usually play games in Japanese, rather than it being "better."

I play my game in Mandarin and sometimes in English. For once I hate the font used for the mandarin text in this game. For some reason they can use a nice font when using it for the map or internet, but when it comes to dialogue, its just awful IMO. But one thing I prefer about the mandarin version over the English is that text moves faster and its smaller. Since you say stuff in Mandarin in fewer words.Its much easier to move thru the dodo dialogue to fly somewhere in mandarin. imo lol

I play my game in Mandarin and sometimes in English. For once I hate the font used for the mandarin text in this game. For some reason they can use a nice font when using it for the map or internet, but when it comes to dialogue, its just awful IMO.
YES. Why did they have to choose this font, I absolutely hate it, it's such a nightmare to read. I don't get it, the fonts for the map & stuff are nice, but the dialogue one ? Please...

I play my game in Mandarin and sometimes in English. For once I hate the font used for the mandarin text in this game. For some reason they can use a nice font when using it for the map or internet, but when it comes to dialogue, its just awful IMO. But one thing I prefer about the mandarin version over the English is that text moves faster and its smaller. Since you say stuff in Mandarin in fewer words.Its much easier to move thru the dodo dialogue to fly somewhere in mandarin. imo lol
Would you have a screenshot or photo? I'm genuinely curious what the font looks like!

I've played in both German (mother tongue) and English and prefer English. Apart from a few exceptions I like the English villager names better than their German names and also there's some dialogue missing in German. For example I think, the lazy villagers are hilarious with all their talk about the bugs in the floor and that's completely missing in German.

Would you have a screenshot or photo? I'm genuinely curious what the font looks like!

behold the monstrosity. And to add insult to the injury, they have the nice font right next to it for selecting choices. They did mandarin dirty!

its readable, but ugly. ugh

horror.jpg

English- Only language used. Well, I play Sonic Colors in Japanese only cos I memorized the whole game lol

Last edited:
All my devices and games are set to English. Running anything in my primary language just looks weird to me, and Animal Crossing would be no exception.

Currently playing in English, I am tempted to change to Japanese but I'm worried it'll mess up my save files. :/

I play in French, mostly because I'm so used to the French names, especially my favs (I can't get around calling Goldie that, she's Mirza in French), but from what I can see in screenshots and videos in English they did a pretty good job with the translation. Also when I visit someone to get a DIY I like to tell them the French name of that villager and if it has a particular meaning so, that's fun!

I like the English version the most tbh. I like how animalese sounds in English, then again it’s my native language
I can speak Japanese but it’s pretty hard for me to read, I did play e+ tho (which is Japanese only) and it’s probably my favorite animal crossing game. (It also helped me learn Japanese easier)

I'm Dutch but I play in English and have my switch set to English too. Seeing people play in Dutch is fun but I couldn't do it myself lol, makes me cringe since our language sounds pretty dumb to begin with :')

I play AC (or any game for that matter) in English, as I cringe hard when I read videogame text in my native tongue (Dutch). I saw a friend of mine play AC in Dutch and it is absolutely eye-scratchingly bad, as the translation pretty much murders puns and stuff (in pretty much every game).

if you change language does it affect other users? i’d love to play in my first language but don’t want to make it hard for my fiancé to use the switch haha

I play in French because of nostalgia I guess, but in NL I used to switch to English sometimes to trade because it's hard to find the equivalents when you're searching for items etc.
Some names I like better in English (Bob is named Robert in French and I don't really like that name haha) but I wouldn't play the whole game in another language just for that. There's also a type of humor that's very specific to the translations I think, and I enjoy that very much :)

I speak both Italian and English but I mostly speak English at home even tho I live in Italy. I started playing in Italian and the dialogues are a bit more interesting but I can’t stand the different names so I switched to English pretty soon. The dialogues are pretty bland in English but the atmosphere is somehow better 😂

I play AC (or any game for that matter) in English, as I cringe hard when I read videogame text in my native tongue (Dutch). I saw a friend of mine play AC in Dutch and it is absolutely eye-scratchingly bad, as the translation pretty much murders puns and stuff (in pretty much every game).

I completely agree!! They tried hard on the translations but it's just awful in Dutch

They don't have AC in my native lang which is fine bc it's rare :^) but you can see me play in Korean and Russian sometimes because I'm learning those languages. It's useful!

Back