• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Bilingual people, what language of animal crossing do you think is better?

my native language is Spanish. I play most games in English just for learning purposes, but I'm playing ACNH in Spanish because the dialogue is just so dang charming. peppy villagers in particular talk with a lot of slang words that are common among young women in Spain. their dialogue is just so much fun!

My native language is Spanish but I've played all video games in English for several years now. I don't really like how they're localized (in general), but villager names and their dialogue are pretty cringey sometimes. I've tried playing in German (for learning purposes) but I can't keep up with villager names...

I've thought about trying it out in Korean, but my fluency is so shoddy that I think I'd lose something doing that haha

All my devices and games are set to English. Running anything in my primary language just looks weird to me, and Animal Crossing would be no exception.
I'm Dutch but I play in English and have my switch set to English too. Seeing people play in Dutch is fun but I couldn't do it myself lol, makes me cringe since our language sounds pretty dumb to begin with :')

I think this is just a very Dutch thing to do. It probably doesn't help that a lot of things in our country aren't dubbed/translated anyway. I suppose that we just aren't used to seeing certain things - like games - in our own language and that's why it looks dumb :')

(I prefer English anyway. It contains better, generally more specific words.)

Native Spanish here! I'm 27 and when I was a kid most video games were on English and I get used to it. Also when a game is translated to Spanish, most of the time is in Spain Spanish, which I'm not used to since I'm from Mexico, so I can't relate to many phrases or slang words.

I think this is just a very Dutch thing to do. It probably doesn't help that a lot of things in our country aren't dubbed/translated anyway. I suppose that we just aren't used to seeing certain things - like games - in our own language and that's why it looks dumb :')

(I prefer English anyway. It contains better, generally more specific words.)

Same thing here, sadly. People say they would stick with the english version because they are so used to playing games using it. They think items names and such sound wierd after translation no matter what, and wont give it a chance. I would personally love to have more games use my native language. We stopped getting many shows dubbed and it makes me sad a little.

My native language is Swiss/German but I play the game in English because I like the names and dialogue a thousand times better. Also I trade quite a bit and it makes everything easier if I have the names of the items already in English and don't have to look them up every time!

i played new leaf for a looong time in german bc it's my native language but i switched to english a year ago and i haven't regretted it yet :')

My native language is English but I’m thinking about switching to French to improve my reading skills in the language.

With Dutch, I don't think it is necessarily a problem with the language itself. It's more that the localization comes over as... too formal? Too unnatural? I have never seen anyone talk like they do in the game. It also doesn't help that people can have very wildly different dialects, so making it decent for everyone is probably really hard.

Last edited:
Back