• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon Aster

mdchan

Child of Light
Bells
Happy Home Designer Token
Blue Mote of Flame
Togepi Easter Egg
Bronze Trophy (Third Place)
Rainbow Feather
Yellow Feather
The Bell Tree Fair 2014 Patch
Yellow Candy
July Birthstone (Ruby)
I looked through about ten pages on this forum and didn't see a thread about this, so I figured I would make one.

WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE DELTA EPISODE!!

Turn back now if you haven't completed the Delta Episode in ORAS.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts/theories are on Aster.

I want to make a Youtube video of my theory (if I do, I'll link it), but I need to try to get images for visuals, first...and record it with the really bad mic I have. XD

My theory is highly influenced by the very end of the Delta Episode and the scene between Zinnia and the one she calls "Grannie". So, without further ado, I'm going to present my theory.

At the very end of the Delta Episode, we saw many cut scenes for the major characters involved in the plot of ORAS, including Zinnia. These cut scenes are supposed to wrap up any loose ends with all of the characters, and show what the main characters are going to do in the future.

In Zinnia's cut scene, we see Grannie tell her to "let go", and that it's all over, now. Eventually, Zinnia decides to go on a journey of self-discovery now that her duty has been fulfilled, but here's the clincher:
She leaves WITHOUT ASTER THE WHISMUR.

Both her journey and this fact is huge in supporting my theory, so I'm going to dive right in.

I believe that, like she said at the top of the Sky Tower, the previous Aster was someone incredibly close to her. Not many children call their parents by name, so Aster could have been a sister or a friend who passed away.
In response to that and in her grief, Zinnia perhaps either hatched Aster the whismur from an egg to travel with, caught her, or perhaps the whismur was even the real Aster's pokemon.

One way or another, Zinnia then used the whismur to fill the void of the real Aster, sort of like a replacement. The reason whismur is sometimes seen saying "mum" is because it's close to the last syllable of its name, and-or because Zinnia is like a pet parent to her.

My reasoning is that sometimes, pet owners in real life will do the same thing (in both aspects).

Pet owners often refer to their pets as their "children", and if pets in our world were like pokemon in the pokemon world, perhaps most of those pets would even think of their pet parents as their adoptive parents, or their "mommy" and-or "daddy".

Zinnia naming the whismur "Aster" after the Aster she lost is also a thing people do. Even humans will name their children after great-grandparents who are no longer on this Earth.
It's no different with pets.

In fact, if someone is so overcome by grief, they might even look to replace someone dear to them in any way they can. In Zinnia's case, it was the whismur.
When someone loses someone close to them, be it a friend, relative, or even a pet, there's a huge sense of loss. Anyone who's ever lost someone they've loved with all their heart would understand, and would wish that the person (or pet) could have stayed with them longer, and-or that the person (or pet) didn't pass on when they did and was still there beside them.

In the case of pets, it's often suggested not to go out and get a new pet right after one passes away. This is mostly due to allow a grieving period, but also to be sure that a pet parent wouldn't treat the new pet as if it was the one who passed away; in other words, so that they wouldn't just be replacing their lost pet, or expect the new pet to be the one they lost.

Zinnia's thoughts might have been similar to cases like that, and so she let Aster live on with her in the form of the whismur.

This would explain why she left on her own journey at the conclusion without the whismur-Aster. She was "letting go", as Grannie suggested she do. By doing that, it meant accepting the truth, which she obviously had known (evidenced by her speech during the night in wanting to show it to Aster, when the whismur was right there) but probably denied to herself in order to fool herself into being happy and not alone.

If that whismur had been her reincarnated daughter, or if Zinnia was its mother in human form, she never would have left it at the end; she would have taken it with her to travel. I presume she took the rest of her pokemon with her, but the fact that she left whismur behind indicates that she has finally come to terms with the truth, and accepted it. Now, she needs to learn how to live with it as well as find her purpose now that the threat to the world is over.

I hate Zinnia. She's so annoying...
I'll kick that stupid Whismur off a cliff.

Love your analysis, but I still hate the Delta Episode.
When playing the Delta Episode, I presumed Aster was her daughter.

Because the real Aster was her daughter. Apart from the way she treats Aster the Pokemon being like a mother would treat a child, she even outright said this in the game:
"Oh, oh, what's this? Aren't you a happy girl, Aster? Just what I'd expect of my daughter! We're so in sync! Ahahaha!"

Yeah. Before she said this, I thought Aster was a guy.

Just like how I thought Ali the Altaria was a girl and Macherie was a guy.

Wait. Spellcheck never put the red squigglies under Aster. #asterconfirmedforrealword

I hate Zinnia. She's so annoying...
I'll kick that stupid Whismur off a cliff.

I actually like that theory, even though I don't believe it was what happened (and believe it brings up more questions rather than answer them).
The way I saw it when I played through, Zinnia was duty-bound to stop the meteor from hitting the Earth by summoning Rayquaza. Perhaps she doesn't want any sort of disaster to fall upon others (no matter which world) because she's kind, or it was just something she felt she had to do, and couldn't let anyone else do it (especially with the risk of sacrifices; she seemed alright should she be sacrificed, but was highly against anyone else being sacrificed).

Love your analysis, but I still hate the Delta Episode.

Thankies! I would have enjoyed the Delta Episode a lot more if it didn't involve MMO-like traveling all over the place for a single questline. I love MMOs, but I always hated those quests which make you go from city to dungeon to city in order to either find something or talk to someone; lather, rinse, repeat.

Because the real Aster was her daughter. Apart from the way she treats Aster the Pokemon being like a mother would treat a child, she even outright said this in the game:
"Oh, oh, what's this? Aren't you a happy girl, Aster? Just what I'd expect of my daughter! We're so in sync! Ahahaha!"

That's a common theory I see/read, but there's actually no evidence that the real Aster was her daughter. Like you said, most people make the connection because of how she treats the whismur, but it's never stated just who the real Aster was. From the name, we can guess it was a girl, but besides that, there's no concrete evidence during the Delta Episode to suggest that Aster was Zinnia's daughter.

As for the way Zinnia talks to the whismur, I've heard pet parents talk to their pets the exact same way in real life. To me, that makes a lot more sense. The whismur-Aster is, in a sense, Zinnia's daughter. However, there's no evidence to support that the real Aster was Zinnia's daughter.

At least, that's how I saw it.

Without adding new area content I don't think the Delta Episode could have done anything other than make you revisit old places. I agree it was a bit...meh in some regards.

Anyone remember how Bill back in Firered and Leafgreen had the machine that turned people into Pokemon? I doubt this has anything to do with it, but Nintendo could have gone back and decided that "yes, we can turn people into Pokemon, see Bill did it."

Without adding new area content I don't think the Delta Episode could have done anything other than make you revisit old places. I agree it was a bit...meh in some regards.

Anyone remember how Bill back in Firered and Leafgreen had the machine that turned people into Pokemon? I doubt this has anything to do with it, but Nintendo could have gone back and decided that "yes, we can turn people into Pokemon, see Bill did it."

I'm gonna go with this theory.

I've heard of similar theories, and I'm a little curious as to how that theory would work.

The major problem I have with that theory (the one which made me discard it as what I personally think is plausible) is that Zinnia doesn't seem to use or rely on technology at all. In fact, she rather seems to dislike it.
Plus, it still doesn't explain her talking about Aster while the whismur was standing right there (if it does, please let me know! I'm curious about thoughts on the subject).

Last edited:
Well if Aster is a person transformed into a Pokemon that accompanies and she is still speaking to Aster as if she/he is not there then I think this is in favour that Aster is something separate.

Back