• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

AMA ask mistreil anything

Interesting. A lot of this is really similar to stuff I've heard! I guess self-promotion on the internet is a skill that transcends medium.

it's also fairly important to build an audience before trying to make money

How do you know when you have a big enough audience before you start trying to make money? (I don't think I have this problem, but it seems like a scary leap to have to make.) What, uh, what are the consequences of trying too soon, and do those consequences go away at a certain point or do they just become more tolerable?

is it easier to grow an audience when you're not trying to make money?

you could draw a stick figure and ill kiss the ground you walk on
ok done:
526KOeZ.png

Anyways, time for some actual questions:
1) How long did it take you to make the Oarfish game?
2) Why did you end up doing so many oarfish-related things for the camp?
3) Which video game has your favorite fishing minigame?
4) In your opinion, what is the ideal hand size?
5) Which would you rather have: Small hands and big feet, or big hands and small feet?
6) How big are Mistreil the OC's hands?
7) What's your favorite finger on your hand?
8) If oarfishes had hands, how big would their hands be?
9) What is your opinion on the N64 game Glover?
10) If you had the sole responsibility of choosing a color/name for a cabin, which color/name combo would you pick and why?
11) How much did you want to try and bribe your cabin with free art again in order to try and win?
12) If you could draw a non-Nintendo character for a Mysterious Masterpiece, who would you choose and why?
13) Which of the 3 camp reactions is your favorite?

Last edited:
Interesting. A lot of this is really similar to stuff I've heard! I guess self-promotion on the internet is a skill that transcends medium.
self-promotion is absolutely a skill! i think it gets overlooked a lot, and some people are just innately good at it!

How do you know when you have a big enough audience before you start trying to make money? (I don't think I have this problem, but it seems like a scary leap to have to make.)

What, uh, what are the consequences of trying too soon, and do those consequences go away at a certain point or do they just become more tolerable?
i think the answer sort of varies depending on what you're trying to sell: if it's physical merchandise, then doing interest checks is usually a good way of gauging things. the consequence for trying too soon here would be... you lose money from producing merchandise that didn't sell! i've seen this happen a few times, where people would start selling acrylic charms/stickers/etc. without having done much work in building an audience.

if you're trying to sell art commissions, this one is a bit more of a leap of faith -- you can try to sell art at any point! the main consequence is... if no one buys, then you take a hit to your ego? it hurts and is somewhat demotivating for a lot of people! there's always the option to price your art cheaper, and more people might buy then, but then it might feel awkward to raise the pricing to a more reasonable amount. it's a bit of a tradeoff, and depends largely on the person! if you've a strong mindset, then the consequences aren't too bad here.
art pricing is a whole other topic that i have a lot of thoughts on.

(if you're trying to make money via patreon or something, then it's sort of an in-between depending on the rewards. if there's no physical rewards, then the consequences are sort of closer to commissions)

in both cases: if you immediately make the jump from whatever you're doing to living -> trying to do art for a living without having a "big enough audience"... you're in for a lot of financial struggle.
on occasion, i've seen stories of people that decide to pursue art and they drop out of school/work/etc. even though they've barely marketed their art at all. it usually doesn't end well.

is it easier to grow an audience when you're not trying to make money?
i wouldn't say it is! you can grow an audience at the same time, but it depends on the situation

if you're busy doing art commissions, you lose out on time that could be spent trying to build an audience more (e.g. making content that the majority of your followers/audience would be interested in vs. working on commissions where the commissioner might be the one with the main interest (unless they're commissioning fandom stuff))

on the other hand, if you're producing physical merchandise... sometimes that can actually help you build more of an audience at the same time!

kisses the floor
i love it thank you kilza

1) How long did it take you to make the Oarfish game?
i made it over the span of 2 days, i believe! not sure on the total time spent, but i doubt it was more than 8 hours (excluding the time used on art assets)

2) Why did you end up doing so many oarfish-related things for the camp?
it started as a joke! i doodled a 3-piece oarfish collectible as a joke (the actual message itself was "ive come up with A Very Important Collectible Idea its a joke please dont take me seriously")! and then they ended up taking it seriously.

the oarfish game happened because i had the oarfish pieces as emotes and i kept making it longer... and then i jokingly said i should make a snake game but with an oarfish.

my jokes spiral out of control sometimes.

3) Which video game has your favorite fishing minigame?
i don't actually have an answer for this -- i don't think there are many fishing minigames that stick out in my memory. perhaps one of the many various ones from mario party, just because they're more entertaining.
(but it's a different context compared to life sim games where i'd end up fishing more)

4) In your opinion, what is the ideal hand size?
my hand size is ideal, because im ideal ✨

5) Which would you rather have: Small hands and big feet, or big hands and small feet?
big hands, small feet. im a clown, but i dont want to walk around with clown shoes 😔

6) How big are Mistreil the OC's hands?
as big or as small as needed. whatever's funniest at the moment 😏

7) What's your favorite finger on your hand?
my pinky! its small and cute. also the nail on my pinky is nice.

8) If oarfishes had hands, how big would their hands be?
depends on how long the oarfish is
the longer the oarfish, the smaller the hands

9) What is your opinion on the N64 game Glover?
i never played it but spiritually im sure i have. i respect glover. that's peak character design.

10) If you had the sole responsibility of choosing a color/name for a cabin, which color/name combo would you pick and why?
▇ Mossballers

im kidding i don't want to be a baller. i have no idea, but lets say ▇ Oarfish

11) How much did you want to try and bribe your cabin with free art again in order to try and win?
me? bribe people? why would i ever do that?
i thought about it, but that's ethically wrong at this point. also i still haven't finished my TBTWC art.

12) If you could draw a non-Nintendo character for a Mysterious Masterpiece, who would you choose and why?
po from kung fu panda
so many people answered po. i still don't understand.

13) Which of the 3 camp reactions is your favorite?
dino.png

art pricing is a whole other topic that i have a lot of thoughts on.

i'm very interested in these tiny font thoughts

how do you differentiate stuff you charge for, from stuff that's free?

esp. with social media X digital art, it seems like the stuff you're making and sharing for free is materially the same as the stuff you'd be selling. i understand commissions, but that can't be the only way to survive as an artist.

(i have a related problem, with games; i've released stuff for free for so long that going "hey, what if you paid for the same type of stuff i've been releasing for free forever" feels extremely unnatural. when a visual artist makes that shift, is there a way to do it without fundamentally altering their work process into something they might not be comfortable with? how do you go from "art free" to "pay me lol")

(p.s. i'm forgetting about merch, but i guess i don't have as many questions about merch. like, i get it. it's a physical object with material costs. of course you can't ship me a t-shirt for free. that's a given, even if the markup is not.)

will there come a time when you'll do commissions? i wouldn't mind seeing my island rep in your chibi style lol

i'm very interested in these tiny font thoughts

how do you differentiate stuff you charge for, from stuff that's free?

esp. with social media X digital art, it seems like the stuff you're making and sharing for free is materially the same as the stuff you'd be selling. i understand commissions, but that can't be the only way to survive as an artist.

(i have a related problem, with games; i've released stuff for free for so long that going "hey, what if you paid for the same type of stuff i've been releasing for free forever" feels extremely unnatural. when a visual artist makes that shift, is there a way to do it without fundamentally altering their work process into something they might not be comfortable with? how do you go from "art free" to "pay me lol")

(p.s. i'm forgetting about merch, but i guess i don't have as many questions about merch. like, i get it. it's a physical object with material costs. of course you can't ship me a t-shirt for free. that's a given, even if the markup is not.)
since the focus here is less on commissions, i'll skip that topic (for now? it's a very lengthy topic, since i'm in that space the most)

in terms of sharing stuff that gets paid: it sort of depends on preference. some people keep pushing the same amount (or a little less) content and share that as they normally would, and then make more 'premium' content thats locked behind purchases (patreon, typically, ko-fi is getting more common for this though). an option is also to give previews of stuff, and have the full image/content behind money, or to release things earlier to patrons (and other people have to wait some amount of time, be it a week or a month, to see it).

another option is to still release the same content, but have the PSDs/process/behind-the-scenes stuff behind the paywall: you are the product that's being sold, rather than the content you normally produce! patron discord channels/Q&As/etc. would also fall under this: people pay for your expertise and knowledge!
(I think for games, this would also include stuff like alpha/beta access, or early access to games: you still release the same game at the end, but patrons/etc. get to access it earlier)

all of these are viable, and i think it depends on the artist's preference and what they're willing to (and have the time to) do! it's definitely a weird transition, though, to switch from free content to getting money.

will there come a time when you'll do commissions? i wouldn't mind seeing my island rep in your chibi style lol
not in the near future! i have a backlog of art i still need to do and work takes up a lot of my time lately

i might take commissions or do freebies or something at some point, but that'd be a few months from now at best _( :3 _)L

🕴️
What is your favorite part of being TBT staff? Generic question you've probably answered before but some time's passed and I wanna know!

🕴️
What is your favorite part of being TBT staff? Generic question you've probably answered before but some time's passed and I wanna know!
Not having to be on the user side of struggling through puzzles and stuff 😏

Only half kidding about that. The other half is "I like watching people struggle have fun with whatever weird thing I decide to throw out as an event task. I tend to try some things that are sort of left field, so it's a bit of a hit or miss and a learning experience!

But on a slightly less sadistic note, one of my favourite parts of being TBT staff... is being TBT staff! I get to talk with them a bit more, and I enjoy that.
They're fun and nice.

What’s your favorite book?
If we're talking physical books... most of the books that come to mind are things I read as a kid because I don't read physical books too often.
With that said, though, I think CLRS would have to be my answer. It's a textbook that I like 😂
My next best answer after that is Junie B. Jones, so like. Two very opposite ends of the spectrum here.

If we're including webnovels and stuff, maybe Doomed to be Canon Fodder? It's the only thing coming to mind that I've reread multiple times.

What's your favorite Switch exclusive game to play with other people?

What's your favorite cipher?

What gave you the idea to offer up the wooden standee as a Fair prize?

Last edited:
What's your favorite Switch exclusive game to play with other people?
Mario Party Superstars! While I wish they'd add more characters/etc., I do just generally like Mario Party.

If Tetris 99 would let me have small games with others, though, I'd pick that and play it more. Tetris wins all the time.

What's your favorite cipher?
To make: substitution ciphers. Just because substitutions are fast and also fun to deal with.
To solve: caesar ciphers. Fast to solve when you figure it out.
caesar ciphers are just easier substitution ciphers. 😏

What gave you the idea to offer up the wooden standee as a Fair prize?
Laudine had an acrylic standee as a prize for the last fair, so I decided to put it out there this time. I've made acrylic ones before, and the wooden ones are pretty much the same process.
Wood just seemed a bit more on-theme this time around.

Back