• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Are there furniture items that can't be changed or removed from a villager's home?

Lavandula

Bells
Green Candy
Blue Candy
Red Candy
Yellow Candy
Cherry (Fruit)
Orange (Fruit)
Cake
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
August Birthstone (Peridot)
I was just wondering if there are any permanent furniture items in a villager's home.

For example, I tried to send a large bed to Kitt so that she'd remove the piano. The next day, the piano was still there and the bed was never placed in her home.

Yeah, there are certain items a villager will never let go. I once tried to buy the Gracie chest off of Mint, and she wouldn't let me. And no matter how many times I sent her stuff to replace it, she never did.

I was just wondering if there are any permanent furniture items in a villager's home.

For example, I tried to send a large bed to Kitt so that she'd remove the piano. The next day, the piano was still there and the bed was never placed in her home.

Well, if you send villagers furniture, they might not change it the first time. You might send several furniture pieces until you see one in their home.

This happened to me with Midge. She has the entire Lovely set except for 2 items, but every time I send her something new she replaces it with another piece (or she doesn't even place it in her home). Back to square one... D:

Decorating / changing furniture in a villager's house is a v serious business ^^;;
perhaps this thread here would be helpful in targeting the piano issue you have there?
(I linked it to a particular post as I find that pro-tip very helpful -
there are loads of solid, practical tips within that thread, so you might need to browse thru all the pages later on)
http://www.belltreeforums.com/showt...s-yea-or-nay&p=3858299&viewfull=1#post3858299

In my own experience, sending them furniture in the mail didn't worked out too well, more like a hit-or-miss.

Decorating / changing furniture in a villager's house is a v serious business ^^;;
perhaps this thread here would be helpful in targeting the piano issue you have there?
(I linked it to a particular post as I find that pro-tip very helpful -
there are loads of solid, practical tips within that thread, so you might need to browse thru all the pages later on)
http://www.belltreeforums.com/showt...s-yea-or-nay&p=3858299&viewfull=1#post3858299

In my own experience, sending them furniture in the mail didn't worked out too well, more like a hit-or-miss.

Awesome, thank you for that! I'll have to try this out.

I remembered that I tried giving furniture away to Ava to get the kitchen island. She was too stubborn to give it away. So I threatened to cycle her out of my town.

I have been seriously working on restoring my villagers homes to their original state, and I started a similar thread not too long ago. I mentioned a few specific examples - the Kiddie Stereo in Bones' house and Grizzly's sleeping bag. Others had gotten those out of their homes without problems. One person claimed to have even changed the wallpaper, which I still have serious doubts about. But enough people responded for the other items that I did believe you could eventually budge most things out of their homes.

The mail really is hit or miss. I pester villagers mercilessly until I can get into their homes and strategically remove items. If you can create the right sized hole right before sending an item in the mail, chances are you'll get the new item into the right spot!

One person claimed to have even changed the wallpaper, which I still have serious doubts about. But enough people responded for the other items that I did believe you could eventually budge most things out of their homes.
spot!

I always wondered about the wallpaper and carpet too. It would be great if we could change that c:

I always wondered about the wallpaper and carpet too. It would be great if we could change that c:

The last flooring I needed to complete that part of the catalog was the round carpet in Eunice's house. I can't begin to tell you how many bells I spent trying to get her to give it up and hand it over to me. All without success....

In my experience, items which villagers refuse to sell you, are ones that cannot be replaced. Over the last 6 months I've tried to replace 3 original items in Nibbles house, and she refuses to sell them or swap them for anything. It's the same with a couple of other items in other villagers houses. It's kind of annoying, but I feel I have to respect them for it :p Nibbles is happy with her uglyass gyroid friend, mountain bike and tennis table :p

There are particular exceptions to the won't sell = won't get rid of deal. For example, Felicity wouldn't sell me her hammock but I was able to replace it with another bed and then a refurbished hammock again. I'm thinking it's because it's a specifically functional but unique piece in her room.

In my experience, items which villagers refuse to sell you, are ones that cannot be replaced. Over the last 6 months I've tried to replace 3 original items in Nibbles house, and she refuses to sell them or swap them for anything. It's the same with a couple of other items in other villagers houses. It's kind of annoying, but I feel I have to respect them for it :p Nibbles is happy with her uglyass gyroid friend, mountain bike and tennis table :p

Both Tangy and Eunice have offered me their gyroids. See, this is just what happened to me. Things that wouldn't budge for me will for others and vice versa. There must be a pattern somewhere...

Last edited:
Both Tangy and Eunice have offered me their gyroids. See, this is just what happened to me. Things that wouldn't budge for me will for others and vice versa. There must be a pattern somewhere...

Now we just need the genius on here who can figure it out :D

I went over to Tom's house the other day and tried buying every single item in his house, but he denied me every time!
He'll be living with those 3 sea bass for the rest of his life.

Last edited:
even if you are in their home and try to replace the villager's item that they refuse to sell, they won't do it. i've tried it many many times. i'm not sure how to replace them, but being in their house isn't a sure fire way to get rid of the 'precious' items.

it is, however, good to do that to replace any other items that they will sell you.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I went over to Tom's house the other day and tried buying every single item in his house, but he denied me every time!
He'll be with living those 3 sea bass for the rest of his life.

oh yeah, and the game will never let you buy bugs or fish off of villagers, similar to why they won't let you get bugs/fish from other people. you just have to find furniture that's the same size in order to replace those.

Last edited:

Yeah Bluebear replaced her gyroid right away when she wanted to buy something in my pockets, but Nibbles has spent the last 6 months refusing to let me buy her gyroid/or replace it using any method. Same with her other two items. I don't get it tbh! Maybe some villagers just have these 'set' items.

oh yeah, and the game will never let you buy bugs or fish off of villagers, similar to why they won't let you get bugs/fish from other people. you just have to find furniture that's the same size in order to replace those.

This makes so much sense! I'm so glad I know now, thank you!!
(Also just noticed that I edited my typo wrong. ); )

Last edited:
This makes so much sense! I'm so glad I know now, thank you!!
(Also just noticed that I edited my typo wrong. ); )

No buying but the villager can give you back the bug or fish. I got the scorpion back when I gave Sterling an item inside his house.
Noticed that my 2nd town likes to give bugs/fish back a lot.

Back