Are Amiibo cards NEEDED to play the game?

honeyaura

🌙
Bells
Fancy Kitty Plush
Dino Plush
Bee Plush
Clownfish Plush
Sheep Plush
Love Ball
Moon Ball
Goomba
Invader
Pinky
I just watched the preview of this game shown on E3,
and it looks pretty promising (except I think it's full priced, but eh...).

Anywho, since I don't have the NEW 3DS XL, I'd need a card reader for the Amiibo cards.
Are the cards really necessary to play the game?

I think they would have like 1 or 2 built in characters, maybe yourself and one other person. But I would buy Amibo cards anyway as they would probably be really cheap. I can't imagine the NFC card reader to be any more then $10 (if your American).

I think they would have like 1 or 2 built in characters, maybe yourself and one other person. But I would buy Amibo cards anyway as they would probably be really cheap. I can't imagine the NFC card reader to be any more then $10 (if your American).
Yeah, I know Nintendo is trying to get more profit from this whole Amiibo thing, but depending on how much they are, I may end up buying them anyway. Thanks!

I'm still wondering about this.
I'm talking about villagers here. Will they come automatically?
I don't think they would make an amiibo exclusive game.

I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of villagers available, and based on what I seen, I believe the amiibo's are to bring villagers you want without waiting, or exclusive amiibo villager cards.

They should have been very cleared on this, but all they decided to show was videos :/

I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of villagers available, and based on what I seen, I believe the amiibo's are to bring villagers you want without waiting, or exclusive amiibo villager cards.

They should have been very cleared on this, but all they decided to show was videos :/
I have the "new 3ds" so I don't mind paying like ?2 for a set of three, but for people with the old ds's. I think that there are some random villagers that can appear in your town, but in order for you to choose and stuff you need to buy the cards. And for other Villegers to visit.

Last edited:
I just hope more information will be revealed closer to the sale date.
I just don't want to buy the game and then find out I have buy Amiibo stuff...

I'm pretty sure they aren't required but I bet for when it first comes out, they are going to have like some sort of package that has the game, the card reader, about 10 cards maybe, and a possibly limited edition amiibo like K.K. Slider or Tom Nook or something.

I'm pretty sure they aren't required but I bet for when it first comes out, they are going to have like some sort of package that has the game, the card reader, about 10 cards maybe, and a possibly limited edition amiibo like K.K. Slider or Tom Nook or something.

That's what I figured to.
I'm pretty sure more information will be released as well.

In Japan, I believe the standard edition of the game COMES with the amiibo adapter, so basically it must mean something if they give you the adapter. I don't see why they would give you the adapter if you didn't... need it?

Yeah I was thinking the same. But what about the downloaded version of the game?
I wonder what they'd do for people who downloaded instead of buying a hard copy.
Maybe they'd charge less?

- - - Post Merge - - -

In Japan, I believe the standard edition of the game COMES with the amiibo adapter, so basically it must mean something if they give you the adapter. I don't see why they would give you the adapter if you didn't... need it?

Like I mentioned, there might be a downloadable game.
It would suck if you'd have to buy something else just to play lol.

I just think it comes with built in villagers then you can buy Amibo cards to choose the villagers and stuff. So you don't have to have Amibo cards but you should.

Mmm that sounds better.
I read that earlier and was still confused.

Reading it again, sounded much better and cleared stuff up.

Yay! Got some news.
http://e3.nintendo.com/games/3ds/animal-crossing-happy-home-designer/
If you read it, it states "Tap the amiibo cards of special characters to call in animals that would otherwise not appear in your game with requests"
So that tells us that you don't have to have them :). I wonder if it allows you to connect your town villigers though? That would be better.

Actually that still sounds like you'd need the cards b/c not all the animals would be available in the game.

Japanese one comes with one, so I don't see why the other regions wouldn't do the same. At least it's packs of 5 instead of packs of 3, that's kind of a limited quantity for Japanese players!

Actually that still sounds like you'd need the cards b/c not all the animals would be available in the game.
Needing is when you actually have to have something in order to play a game. Plus it's like DLCs, you can't expect just because you brought the game to be able to have everything.

But are the cards random? Because then wouldn't you be better off just letting the game be random for you?

Oh we'll see then, if I can get a least 5 faves, I'm good. Opening packs of cards is fun anyway, never gets old.

Back