• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Anyone ever get a villager they hate and then end up loving?

toshigama

Bells
I just recently restarted my island and I decided to try to like villagers I would normally not like. I tend toward the cuter and smaller animals like squirrels, cats, hamsters, etc. I also usually dislike the weirder looking ones with strange facial features. For example, my two starter villagers were Lyman and Hazel. Both have unibrows, not a look I would usually like. But I have fallen in love with Hazel. She is so sweet and I don’t even hate her catchphrase of “uniwow” like I did at first. But I couldn’t learn to love Lyman I’m afraid. He is gone, replaced by Beau. I also have learned to love Bangle, which is very different from my small cute type.
Anyone else take a chance on a villager and end up loving them?

When I started playing New Horizons, I got Hamphrey from a Mystery Island. At first I thought he was boring and wanted him to move out, but he looks so funny in the outfits I give him, I just had to keep him around. I also wasn’t sure about Drago, since I’m not a fan of the alligators, but he’s pretty chill and funny. Rhonda looks like a snooty villager, so I dreaded having her, but she ended up being “normal.”

From all villager types I slightly disliked hippos. A little while ago Hippeux moved into my town in New Leaf. From all locations, he chose to move directly next to me. But the more I got to talk to him, the more he has grown on me. Once he gave me a great statue, a real one!! Which I could donate to Blathers, it kind of made my day. Hippeux changed my views and is now my dearest neighbor :)

In New Leaf I got Butch, and at first I didn't like him at all. I even reported him to Isabelle because I wanted him gone. The more I talked to him, though, the more I began to like him. Despite being cranky, he was always so sweet and friendly. In New Horizons he is my go-to cranky, and he always has that soft side of him despite being a cranky. He often gets along with most of my villagers, even the peppy ones. He is also my birthday twin villager <3

Well not really loving, but appreciated.
Bertha (or whatever her name is) was my first normal in NH. Thought she was eh before I got her, but she grew on me. Unfortunately she moved out, but I see her every now and then in HHP.

So I only had enough Nook Miles for 3 tickets (and this was in the 3 plots quest and I only had normal villagers left). So I got Rhonda, Eunice, and Marina. Marina’s mouth shape creeped me out, so I didn’t take her and my plot autofilled with Nana. I didn’t like that at all, I tried everything, but I couldn’t reset it. But now she told me that she’s always here for me and I will love her forever.

yeah, a couple times! i absolutely hated pietro in new leaf, to the point that i swore to reset my town immediately if he ever moved in. i honestly have no idea why i hated him so much lol. i still didn’t like him when i started playing new horizons, but eventually he started appealing to me a bit. i’m more open to getting to know villagers i think are ugly and/or who i didn’t like in the past than i was during my new leaf days, so i decided to finally give pietro a chance. i ran into him while island hopping one day (was lowkey hoping i would), and invited him to live on my island. his interior is... horrendous imo lmao, but pietro quickly grew on me. his design isn’t bad at all, and his catchphrase is cute! he even taught me the last smug reaction i needed, so he’ll always be special to me for that. c’: i was so quick to hate him when i was a kid, but he’s one of my favourites now!

there’s also del. i never hated him, but i’ve never really been fond of him or the other robotic villagers. he moved onto my island from someone’s void after i failed to save after going island hopping, so we didn’t get off to the best start. however, he quickly grew on me as well! it was nice to have a cranky on my island again after not having one in about a year or so, and his dialogue was quite funny at times. i wouldn’t consider him a favourite villager of mine now, but i definitely like him a lot more than i used to. he’s actually one of the reasons why i’m more open to having villagers i normally wouldn’t/i don’t like; i didn’t like him for the longest time and he turned out to be wonderful, so imagine how many other villager friends i’m missing out on haha. i’m more open-minded about what villagers i choose now because of him and pietro!

My island came with Paula (bear; big sister type) and Axel (elephant; jock). Axel ended up becoming a little too obnoxious and I was only too happy to wish him safe travels when he finally asked whether he should move on. But Paula grew on me. She's a wiseass but she's a good hearted wiseass. She's also a DIY freak and thus a great resource if hunting new DIY recipes.

One who defies his personality type: Bones (dog). Classified lazy, but . . . a) he's one of the nicest villagers on my island; and, b) to my shock, his house looks like an intellectual's delight---library bookshelf wallpaper, and two pairs of back-to-back book cases surrounding his kitchen stove/sink. (His DIY bench is behind them between the second pair of bookcases and his back wall.) And he'll talk about far more than just the usual lazy guy's stuff. He's really a kick.

Two who came better than advertised: Kiki (cat) and Pekoe (bear cub). Considered normal . . . and live up to it exponentially.

Yeah, I recently got Hornsby and that name sounded ugly to me so I was dreading meeting him after I saw the auto filled plot. But I actually thought he was cute once I met him. It's his house that looks ugly though.
I'd still choose Bob over him but I think he's really cute.
Now normally the opposite happens especially With lazy villagers - I get fed up with them over time. I am not fond of them in general especially because they talk about bugs so much. And I think that makes them unattractive or unsettling to be around. I let Rex and Cranston go because of this (but I kinda miss Cranston). Hornsby and Bob are cute enough for me to tolerate the bug talk.
I also don't really like jock or snooty personalities that much either. Get kinda annoying tbh.

Coach was that for me. It was early in the game and I was island hopping for a jock. I was down to a couple of tickets and desperate, because I didn't want a random, non-jock to move in. I ended up on an island with Coach and when I saw him my first thought was, "Ugh, I want a cool jock not a dumb, ugly bull". But I took him anyway because, again, desperate.

Once he moved in I read more about him and thought it was neat that he was the only non-cranky, non-lazy bull. Then, the more he stuck around, the more he grew on me. He was my first in-game birthday and I (by pure coincidence) got him a perfect, favorite piece of clothing he wore all the time. I had him for several months, as my first real jock, and have nothing but fond memories of him 🥰

I decided to bring in Barold. I wasn’t quite a fan of him in previous games and thought he looked a bit ugly. When I brought him into new horizons, I didn’t think he was that bad. His clothing was questionable, but he kept getting cute as time passed by. Now I don’t even mind his caveman shirt, and sort of love it. I wouldn’t change anything about him.

I just recently restarted my island and I decided to try to like villagers I would normally not like. I tend toward the cuter and smaller animals like squirrels, cats, hamsters, etc. I also usually dislike the weirder looking ones with strange facial features. For example, my two starter villagers were Lyman and Hazel. Both have unibrows, not a look I would usually like. But I have fallen in love with Hazel. She is so sweet and I don’t even hate her catchphrase of “uniwow” like I did at first. But I couldn’t learn to love Lyman I’m afraid. He is gone, replaced by Beau. I also have learned to love Bangle, which is very different from my small cute type.
Anyone else take a chance on a villager and end up loving them?
I had this happen with ricky a while back, plot sold and he moved in, disliked him at first but after a month i liked him, and then someone had wolfgang.... so i let him go, still mildly regret it although that island got reset anyways, on the contary i kinda liked chadder when he first moved in (first campsite villager) but someone on here had roald, and so i tried getting rid of chadder, i spent many hours across 3 days trying to get him to leave before the guy who had roald forgot to time travel back and he slipped away... i did not like chadder at all after this and celebrated him leaving

Back