• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Any of ya'll fans of Koei's Dynasty/Samurai/Warriors Orochi?

Khte

Reviews are appreciated! <3
Bells
Like, these are some of my favorite games ever and they are just in this weird state of well-known but not popular?
I suppose they appeal to a really niche gaming community, but man are they such good hack-n-slash games.
Plus I adore the history surrounding them (More so Dynasty Warriors).
Idk I just want to talk about these games because I love them so much and ugh.

I am one of them , Grew up with Dw, Sw and WO and adore them all as well as some spin offs haha <3

I am one of them , Grew up with Dw, Sw and WO and adore them all as well as some spin offs haha <3
Yaaaaaas! <3 Do you have a favorite out of the three?
I lean a bit more towards Dynasty Warriors myself, but Samurai Warriors 1 had the character customization where you got to train your own general and pick your warlord and ugh, that was a good one.

As far as i can remember i know i started from Dw 4 , Sw 3 and WO 1 or 2(i don't remember haha), but now that i actually understand what I'm playing i would say i prefer Samurai warriors, tbh it was really some years since i played one *the last one* being DW 8, until two years ago my father gifted me his Ps4 with SW 4-ii and tbh to this day i still play that game (i lost my data files as well as im trying to get all the trophy's haha), and of course i got myself WO4(still haven't upgraded to ultimate) and the unspeakable Dw (which i left to dust in the beginning and now im playing it a lil bit) but overall i would say i enjoyed more sw 4 with the hyper attacks and its stuff xD

Oh my gosh the Musou/Warriors series is literally my most favourite video game series!! ;w; I have a lot to say but I'm too shy to haha... I got into the Samurai Warriors series because of Pokemon Conquest, then consequently got into Dynasty Warriors from that. >w<

I'm... kinda a fake fan. I've played a lot of Warriors spin-offs, but I still haven't tried any of the mainline DW or SW games. Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, a few Pirate Warriors, and Warriors All Stars; I've played those!
I think part of the reason is that I have no clue which one to start with, all I have is an Xbox 360 (and a PS2 but those ones are probably a bit too outdated?) Any tips?

Love these games SO much. It’s so hard for me to align myself with any one faction because there are so many good characters though I do have a sliiiight Shu bias I think.
Haven’t played DW9 though because the voice acting and models are horrendous.

Samurai Warriors is also an amazing game though I’m always biased with Nobunaga’s line because they’re the most interesting to me. I love Yukimura but sometimes it can get a little... dull. Plus I love the drama the game builds with Mitsuhide’s characterization and realizations.

My wife and I were just into this recently and I jumped on this thread immediately haha

As far as i can remember i know i started from Dw 4 , Sw 3 and WO 1 or 2(i don't remember haha), but now that i actually understand what I'm playing i would say i prefer Samurai warriors, tbh it was really some years since i played one *the last one* being DW 8, until two years ago my father gifted me his Ps4 with SW 4-ii and tbh to this day i still play that game (i lost my data files as well as im trying to get all the trophy's haha), and of course i got myself WO4(still haven't upgraded to ultimate) and the unspeakable Dw (which i left to dust in the beginning and now im playing it a lil bit) but overall i would say i enjoyed more sw 4 with the hyper attacks and its stuff xD
Very understandable! Though the games are very similar, I think DW and SW are surprisingly different in playstyle. It's a nice change of pace going between the two though! I haven't played much of SW 4-II though I should really go back! I was big into the first SW and then the 2nd. If you love SW I highly, HIGHLY recommend Spirit of Sanada! It has a GREAT storyline and played just like your basic SW with a bit more emphasis on character development and story. It focuses on the Sanada clan, but you can play as all the characters at some point. I think it's really good!
Oh my gosh the Musou/Warriors series is literally my most favourite video game series!! ;w; I have a lot to say but I'm too shy to haha... I got into the Samurai Warriors series because of Pokemon Conquest, then consequently got into Dynasty Warriors from that. >w<
Ah! Pokemon Conquest was so good! I love both franchises and so seeing them together was a big fangirl moment for me haha. It's refreshing to see the SW cast in a different setting as well! There is also no need to be shy here! I can talk about Koei games for HOURS lol. Many years of pent up conversation that I never got to say because no one in my friend group plays the games xD
I'm... kinda a fake fan. I've played a lot of Warriors spin-offs, but I still haven't tried any of the mainline DW or SW games. Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, a few Pirate Warriors, and Warriors All Stars; I've played those!
I think part of the reason is that I have no clue which one to start with, all I have is an Xbox 360 (and a PS2 but those ones are probably a bit too outdated?) Any tips?
No fake fans here! I accept all fans, even ones who play the spin-offs c: Though I do recommend trying out one of the mainline games if you get the chance! I haven't ever tried Hyrule Warriors but omg do I want to! It looks so good and I love LoZ! If you ever want to try one of the main series games, DW 8 (for the 360) is one of the better ones! DW Strikeforce (also 360) has an interesting mech as well and was a nice change of pace for me.

If you want an older DW or SW, DW3 (PS2) and the first SW (Also PS2) are STILL really good! Graphics may not be the best and maybe I'm speaking from nostalgia, but man, A+ games. TBH all Koei Musou games haven't changed all that much through the years so going back to the old games isn't too much of a step-down xD
Love these games SO much. It’s so hard for me to align myself with any one faction because there are so many good characters though I do have a sliiiight Shu bias I think.
Haven’t played DW9 though because the voice acting and models are horrendous.

Samurai Warriors is also an amazing game though I’m always biased with Nobunaga’s line because they’re the most interesting to me. I love Yukimura but sometimes it can get a little... dull. Plus I love the drama the game builds with Mitsuhide’s characterization and realizations.

My wife and I were just into this recently and I jumped on this thread immediately haha
Nfjnfjwefwef talking about the 3 Kingdoms is my weaknesssssssssssss! I'm a Wei gal forever and always! Though like you, I do have favs in every faction! Lu Meng and Zhang Liao were my literal HUSBANDS in DW3, so if Wei didn't have my other babies, Wu would take the cake.
I got the free trial for DW 9 and I was never disappointed in a DW game until then... I'm normally a diehard fan of all the installments (Even 6 which people tend to bash), but I just couldn't with 9... I see what they tried to do, but it just didn't go off well. I don't mind the open-world idea, but they would just need to implement it better!

Yes! I love the Oda army too! Ngl, to this day I crush real hard over Nobunaga. I think SW does a real good job of character personalization; sometimes in DW- because there are so many characters- some are easily forgotten because they just... don't stand out. SW has some interesting characters and relationships. IE Hideyoshi and Magoichi have the CUTEST friendship <3

I used to be a fan of Dynasty Warriors awhile ago, but just stopped playing for some reason. Just never really bothered to get back into the games again.

Khte said:
Nfjnfjwefwef talking about the 3 Kingdoms is my weaknesssssssssssss! I'm a Wei gal forever and always! Though like you, I do have favs in every faction! Lu Meng and Zhang Liao were my literal HUSBANDS in DW3, so if Wei didn't have my other babies, Wu would take the cake.
I got the free trial for DW 9 and I was never disappointed in a DW game until then... I'm normally a diehard fan of all the installments (Even 6 which people tend to bash), but I just couldn't with 9... I see what they tried to do, but it just didn't go off well. I don't mind the open-world idea, but they would just need to implement it better!

Yes! I love the Oda army too! Ngl, to this day I crush real hard over Nobunaga. I think SW does a real good job of character personalization; sometimes in DW- because there are so many characters- some are easily forgotten because they just... don't stand out. SW has some interesting characters and relationships. IE Hideyoshi and Magoichi have the CUTEST friendship <3

Wei is amazing simply for having my bias, Cao Pi. AHAHAHA. I love the way they made his personality. It truly is hard for me to stick to one faction, just because... I love more people than I dislike.

Yeaaaah, I feel like they got a bit too overly ambitious and it ended up taking several steps back in terms of graphics, emotions and compelling storyline telling. I actually am also like you and one of the few who does enjoy DW6 too!! Hopefully, if they DO intend on making a new game, they don't take too many shortcuts again. I like to pretend 9 doesn't exist.

Yesssssss. Samurai Warriors was something my wife and I didn't get into until way down the line admittedly but we love it all the same. I DON'T BLAME YOU. Nobunaga is AMAZING. I love Magoichi getting Hideyoshi in trouble with Nene unintentionally. So many relationships are amazingly built and beautiful. v_v

If you ever want to try one of the main series games, DW 8 (for the 360) is one of the better ones! DW Strikeforce (also 360) has an interesting mech as well and was a nice change of pace for me.

If you want an older DW or SW, DW3 (PS2) and the first SW (Also PS2) are STILL really good! Graphics may not be the best and maybe I'm speaking from nostalgia, but man, A+ games. TBH all Koei Musou games haven't changed all that much through the years so going back to the old games isn't too much of a step-down xD
I'll look into them, thanks!
I haven't ever tried Hyrule Warriors but omg do I want to! It looks so good and I love LoZ!
Yeah! I've played all 3 versions of it and it's a really nice quality game (well maybe not the 3DS version, but that's to be expected :lemon:). Every weapon is unique and fun, although the game is going to force you to play all of them so don't try to play favorites too much!

Ah! Pokemon Conquest was so good! I love both franchises and so seeing them together was a big fangirl moment for me haha. It's refreshing to see the SW cast in a different setting as well! There is also no need to be shy here! I can talk about Koei games for HOURS lol. Many years of pent up conversation that I never got to say because no one in my friend group plays the games xD
I dragged my friends into the series when I got into it xD We're all just suckers for pretty boys and pretty girls LOL
But omg same, once I start I'll never stop tbh. I channeled that energy into writing an optional paper for my Personality Psychology class back in 2nd or 3rd year uni a few years ago.
The instructions were to analyze anyone's personality using theories we learned in class - by anyone it included fictional characters. I ended up doing a 10 page paper on Jiang Wei because I was so into DW at that time and he's my favourite! ;A;
I'd love to show the paper but it has my personal info on it ^^;;

I used to play these types of 'hack n slash' games a lot, and liked the Warriors Orochi series the most. Also played a lot of Sengoku Basara on the PS3, quite similar but a tiny bit more story oriented (and based entirely in Japan). I feel like the most recent additions were pretty bad though, and were way too expensive (60GBP on xbox) for the quality of gameplay and graphics :(

Yes omg, used to have a Samurai Warriors game for PS Vita back in the days hi vrisnem and i really liked that game a lot !

Literally playing Dynasty Warriors 8 while browsing TBT just now. I'm on a mission to platinum it. I've 36/41 trophies on PS3.

I prefer Samurai Warriors. I'm obsessed with the Azuchi-Momoyama period, specifically Oda Nobunaga, and it was because that I even gave the games a go.

Yes omg, used to have a Samurai Warriors game for PS Vita back in the days hi vrisnem and i really liked that game a lot !

I love that you were able to predict my arrival in this thread haha.

I love that you were able to predict my arrival in this thread haha.
But of course :p

But yeah playing only that game I love the series and I hope they will release it on Switch (unless they have done so and I don't know about it. And yeah Japanese history is really interesting, which made the game even more enjoyable.

I have played Dynasty Warriors ever since I was a little girl and I was completely obsessed with it. Never played the other games though. My favourite story line was Shu, my brothers and I used the call Guan Yu ‘God’ and Zhang Fei ‘Jesus’. I don’t know why but it sure was fun.

I still play Dynasty Warriors 8 on the Switch sometimes.

Back