• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Anime recommendations

dollydaydream

Bells
So I've never really started watching any sort of anime until one of my friend's recommended me deathnote (unless you count adventure time but i think that's more of a cartoon)

I really loved it and i think it's probably one of the best series I've ever watched despite low expectations. It's been before Summer since watching it and I'd really like to get into more anime, however so far I've had no luck.
To be fair I've only tried three animes and not finished them yet. They were Black butler, darker than black and Baccano. Mostly they were only ok, and a lot of points in the episodes become really boring and even whole episodes sometimes, the stories were really difficult to follow mostly and a lot of the characters were really irritating. I'm only about 5 episodes through each, a part from Black butler where I've watched 12 but probably have given up now. I just wanted some recommendations from people who have seen more animes than me, and people who have watched these ones and could let me know if they do get better as the story progresses.

Thanks! :)

I loved Death Note, one of my favorites. <3 I recommend Angel Beats and Clannad: After Story, those two animes were the first I watched and got me into anime. :)

I like death note. Inuyasha is pretty good.
I like movies usually^~^

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh yeah um I think soul eater is pretty good ^~^

i have an animelist idk i havent watched much since im more of a manga person so yeah

anyway
durarara!! is really action packed and good. if you havent watched it, watch it now.
soul eater is okay, i personally find the comedy annoying. mangas better
gatchaman crowds is like my fave because of the characters. hajime is an upbeat happy go lucky girl
little witch academia is a short watch but its so cute okay
inu x boku is an okay romance anime with demons and stuff. manga is better

Gantz
Berserk
Gurrenn Lagann
Claymore(forgot all about this until someone brought it up in another thread)
...those are the only ones I can think of now but I'm sure there's more.

There are so many different genres of anime series out there, that it's hard to recommend unless you know what you like and you can say so. Then the one doing the recommending can take your preferences into account. Because not everyone will like even something like Berserk, which most anime fans will say is one of the best manga stories ever to be made into anime (as both a TV series and a trilogy of animated movies, which I thoroughly enjoyed).

I like the series you've mentioned, like Darker Than Black and Baccano. You are right, these stories are not easy to follow because they don't have a linear story-telling style. You are required to pay attention to the dialogue and sequence of events and figure out what's going on, on your own. I love series like them. If you prefer something action packed but less taxing to watch, try Jormungand or Black Lagoon.

Action-packed series can be very violent, so be careful what you pick up. Some people like the violence, some don't. Art style is another thing to consider. I enjoyed Gilgamesh but the art style (which many fans thought is too ugly) put a lot of people off. Likewise, One Piece. I think it has a great story, but people find the art style too cartoonish and silly to stomach. Or Gankutsuou, which is a highly imaginative, re-telling of the story of the Count of Monte Cristo. The art style, which I utterly loved, turned some fans away because it is deemed too distracting. (Some found it nausea-inducing.)

I've watched over 8,000 episodes of anime. You can find my anime list here and how I've rated all the series, OVAs and movies I've watched. If you think we share the same taste in anime, then you can try some of the titles on my list. :)

Just a few more to recommend: Monster. A brilliant, engaging whodunnit series about a fugitive doctor. It has a very realistic, moody art style. No supernatural tones to the story. Slam Dunk or Hajime no Ippo if you like sports anime, the former being a basketball series and the latter a boxing series. I recommend these because I love the story and character development. (The current basketball series everyone loves is Kuroko no Basket but, while it has a big cast of good-looking characters, lacks the depth of characterization and drama that is apparent in the more classic Slam Dunk.) Watch Mushishi if you like a story set in Japan, with a touch of the supernatural. It's a lush, beautiful series that is very bittersweet, very moving. Watch Hunter X Hunter (the latest version) if you want action and comedy. Don't let the child-like look of the main characters fool you. This series gets very violent, very dark.

Thanks everybody for your recommendations! After reading them some of the series mentioned sound really interesting and I'll be sure to try and watch them and let you know how I get on. I'm also going to try and watch Baccano and darker than black again but this time try to pay attention during the super long talking scenes :p

Thanks!

I Ctrl-F'd Code Geass and was pretty disappointed so

Watch Code Geass. Afterwards, recommend it to everyone because it deserves so much more credit and recognition

super great overall anime = cowboy bebop, berserk
great ninja action = basilisk, ninja scroll, rurouni kenshin
hilarious = GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka)
sci-fi = macross frontier, ghost in the shell
environmental = arjuna, princess mononoke
high production quality anime = berserk (movie trilogy), last exile (2003), escaflowne (movie)

Steins;Gate!! You must watch it!! ;w; I love it so much... It is quite slow at the beginning but it gets so so much better, trust me.

Other anime I recommend.. Hmm... Hyouka, Ano Hana, Mawaru Penguindrum and Angel Beats are some of my all time favourites ahh. ;;

gurrenn lagann, fooly cooly, ao no exorcist, durarara, attack on titan of course, uhhhhh, soul eater, madoka, project k.
also i'd recommend panty stocking with garterbelt, but it depends on what kind of humour you like?... it's the kind of thing you want to listen to with headphones on

I've just finished Fairy Tail recently (again), anyone got any reccomendations for something that is similar?

Elfen Lied, Sailor Moon(watch in japanese if you haven't), Please Save My Earth, Juuousei, Revolutionary Girl Utena.

oh yeah more

C : about money. poor college student gets an offer to play a game to win money, but if you lose then your future is your debt. its okay, had a good idea but the timing was a bit off.

panty and stocking : idk if you would like the humor

fairy tail is okay, i watched it in my weeaboo days. looking back at it, it was not worth the watch tbh
lovely complex is a cute romance anime about a tall girl and a short boy
magi is great. manga is way better but the animes pretty good. cant really explain it, you just gotta watch the first ep. its adventure/fantasy btw

I read manga more than watch anime, so if you want to do that, I'd suggest reading ao no exorcist instead of watching it. I dunno I liked it better. Some of the scenes early on were done differently and it changed the characters for me.

If you don't mind something a bit too creepy and gorey but has "BANG!" "BAM!" action bubbles and amazing art, I'd suggest Dogs: Bullets and Carnage. The story is really great actually and the humor gets you at the worst times. Not to mention it just visually (the anime prologue and the manga prologue look different than the rest of the manga, trust me).

Mainly, on the anime front I like sports anime. I love Prince of tennis but its a big commitment, but the basketball anime mentioned earlier is also a good choice so I second that. I would not suggest Free, although it is visually nice and charming at first, it's all fanservice and the plot is predictable as it is a sports anime.

Soul Eater was also good, and visually better in anime than manga I think so watch it don't read it (but PLEASE watch it with subs not the dub its so bad to me and small things are lost in translation).

A weird under-appreciated anime I like is Beck: mongolian chop squad. I'm pretty sure it requires a certain kind of humor, but its about a band (or making a band) and the english dub is fine (but it cusses).

... I'd suggest one of my big favorites lately, but (even though it is NOT AT ALL the point of the story) the characters do end up liking eachother (which sounds childish due to plot) and they are both men so I will avoid that in case you would just rather not see it.

Something that I read that is really good is D.grayman, and people seem to like the anime so maybe that as well.

There's also a manga called Tegami Bachi and its interesting to. I don't know if I should be describing all of these haha n.n'

If you want a cute anime instead I ended up watching all of the uta no prince sama thing, and even if I didn't like the music, I found it kind of adorable and the characters made me smile.

Michiko to Hatchin is an interesting anime but I'm not sure it would appeal to every one.

Durarara was also good, if not a bit polluted by certain members of the fanbase n.n'

Rozen Maiden is absolutely brilliant.. as is Haruhi Suzumiya, Ouran Highschool Host Club, Angel Beats, and Highschool of the Dead (contains fanservice :/)

If you like polished god tier action I'll recommend Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop. If you wanna cry watch Ano Hana. If you want **** you don't understand watch FLCL or Evangelion.

Last edited:
Back