• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

A New Leaf and New Ideas

tinysaiph

^ - ^ /
Bells
Tasty Cake
A few days ago I decided to create a new town in my digital copy of New Leaf, partially in preparation for New Horizons, and partially out of missing the fun that was playing New Leaf.

While I've loved going through the process again, I find that I'm struggling to land on a theme, or theme ideas, and on the villagers I want to keep in the town.

I've been thinking on making a town themed on winter nights, so penguin villagers may be good? But I've also been thinking about a summer night town? There are a ton of ideas floating around in my brain right now-

I realise there are a billion threads out there discussing the same thing, but I was just wondering if people had a reason for choosing the villagers they did? Nostalgia reasons? They fit with the theme of your town? Etc.

Thanks!

First off, your penguin town with the winter theme sounds lovely! I don't think I've ever seen a penguin town. It sounds super cute.

When I decide a theme for my towns I simply go with my gut/what I know I like and enjoy. As for villagers- I've never really attempted to have set villagers thus far, but I'm working on it, too.

When I decide what villagers I want to keep/collect, the first thing I consider is their personality type. I never want too many of the same personality- only one or two of the same, depending on the type. Then I go and find what villagers I like in general. I always take into consideration how their house exterior looks, though. I have a forest town, so Marshal or Ribbot's houses would mess of the vibe! There are a couple villagers I've loved for a long time, so I consider them must-haves for my town no matter what.

I hope your plans work out for you- good luck!

First off, your penguin town with the winter theme sounds lovely! I don't think I've ever seen a penguin town. It sounds super cute.

When I decide a theme for my towns I simply go with my gut/what I know I like and enjoy. As for villagers- I've never really attempted to have set villagers thus far, but I'm working on it, too.

When I decide what villagers I want to keep/collect, the first thing I consider is their personality type. I never want too many of the same personality- only one or two of the same, depending on the type. Then I go and find what villagers I like in general. I always take into consideration how their house exterior looks, though. I have a forest town, so Marshal or Ribbot's houses would mess of the vibe! There are a couple villagers I've loved for a long time, so I consider them must-haves for my town no matter what.

I hope your plans work out for you- good luck!

Ahhh, thank you, I appreciate it so much! I've definitely been considering personality types a bunch, because I love the variety towns provide!

Of all the penguins, I think the ones I'd want for sure are Aurora (Normal), Cube (Lazy), Roald (Jock), Sprinkle (Peppy--In my head, Sprinkle and Aurora could be like, neighbours or something?), (I've put the personality types so future-me can look back and etc).

So that'd leave Boomer (Lazy), Flo (Uchi, who I've never met/had in a town before, so that could be interesting), Friga (Snooty), Gwen (Snooty), Iggly (Jock), Puck (Lazy), Tex (Smug), and Wade (Lazy). (Another thing I was worried was if there'd be enough variety between them all, but after having typed it all out, I see there's plenty of choice between them all)

The only reason I'd consider a summer night (possibly with a partial forest?) is because of certain villagers I love, like Molly, who I've had in mostly every town of mine, and a few other favourites that don't exactly fit the winter town.

I realise this is sort of just me thinking my ideas out loud, but I absolutely appreciate your help and thoughts!

I really like the sound of your winter nights penguin theme too. Don't forget about Hopper if you want a cranky penguin.

For myself, I always make my main town non-themed. That way it can grow and evolve over time and just be full of the things that I love, regardless of whether they match a certain theme or not. I don't choose specific villagers for my main town. I let most of them come and go, but I always get attached to a few, so I'll keep those around.

I had lots of theme town ideas for New Leaf, but I was limited by time and money so I just picked my favorite idea to work on as a secondary town. I chose the villagers for that town based mainly on color (purple, blue, black or white), but I took their houses and general style into some consideration as well. Oh, and I always pick a variety of personalities. I like to have one of each and then I double up on one female and one male personality.

I think the most important thing is to pick a theme and villagers that interest you and will make you want to keep playing. That way the game doesn't become a chore.

Last edited:
a winter nights themed town with penguins sounds lovely! i believe i’ve only ever seen one penguin-filled town before so it’s definitely more unique c:

as for me, i mainly choose villagers based off of appearance - whichever ones appeal to me the most, those are the ones that i try to have aha

I really like the sound of your winter nights penguin theme too. Don't forget about Hopper if you want a cranky penguin.

For myself, I always make my main town non-themed. That way it can grow and evolve over time and just be full of the things that I love, regardless of whether they match a certain theme or not. I don't choose specific villagers for my main town. I let most of them come and go, but I always get attached to a few, so I'll keep those around.

I had lots of theme town ideas for New Leaf, but I was limited by time and money so I just picked my favorite idea to work on as a secondary town. I chose the villagers for that town based mainly on color (purple, blue, black or white), but I took their houses and general style into some consideration as well. Oh, and I always pick a variety of personalities. I like to have one of each and then I double up on one female and one male personality.

I think the most important thing is to pick a theme and villagers that interest you and will make you want to keep playing. That way the game doesn't become a chore.

Ahhh I love Hopper!!

Mostly every town I've owned previously has been a non-themed, see-how-it-grows type of thing, so that's why I'm thinking about a theme? Partially as a challenge to try something new and different, and partially because I'd love to have a themed town of my own!

Thank you so much for the reminder, I definitely know how easy it is for fun to become a chore and exhausting, which isn't what I want (obviously)

Last edited:
Just a minor update or something; I've decided to, for this file, go forward with the wintery all-penguin town. The next major step is deciding where I want to have each villager live. I want but also don't want to do plot resetting. And I'm finalizing ideas for flowers and paths and etc.

i love your penguin idea! just like some of the others, i have yet to see a penguin themed town.
for the issue about summer, i only really have one idea for that.
-change the paths to match, but just act like its normal- so add some paths that look like the ice is melting? idk, i've never really thought of this haha. or, you can act like the penguins are on a tropical vacation- and for the summer just decorate your town with hibiscus bushes, cute summery paths, etc. but- still keep a blue-coloring theme. (bushes and paths are easy to change and replace, so thats why i came up with that.)

hope that helped!

edit: didn't see your update, oops! i hope that stuff above will still apply to when you enter the summer months though.

Last edited:
Just a minor update or something; I've decided to, for this file, go forward with the wintery all-penguin town. The next major step is deciding where I want to have each villager live. I want but also don't want to do plot resetting. And I'm finalizing ideas for flowers and paths and etc.

That sounds awesome! What is your mayor going to be like- will their house/appearance have a theme, too?

An Eskimo or environmental scientist might be cute.

I've always loved the idea of a wintery themed town! I wish you good luck on getting it just right! :D

Back