• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

A guide for tanning! {Darker skin}

lars708

Dutch PPCS Regional no. 1
Bells
Switch
3952-4112-1626
Pikachu Easter Egg
Timmy Christmas Doll
Jingle Christmas Doll
Lump of Coal
Kapp'n Christmas Doll
Winter Mittens
Pumpkin Cupcake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Hey everybody!

Do you want a darker skin in Animal Crossing?
Here is a guide for Animal Crossing New Leaf's tanning system!

Step 1: Choose where you want to tan your town* or the island

Step 2: Remove head gear and shoes and wear a short/skirt paired with a tee/tank

Step 3: Wait like 15 minutes. (Make sure that the sun shines, it doesn't have to be cloudless though)

Step 4: Repeat this every day to become darker and darker,
please note that tanning is a process of days. Staying in the sun longer doesn't affect the speed of the process!

*Can only be done at summertime, it's possible to get a tan on the island year-round becouse it's always summer on the island.

DON'T TAN IN SLEEPMODE IT WON'T HAVE EFFECT!

Tans become noticeable after 4 days of tanning, the only way to fully prevent tanning is using a umbrella or a wide hat. (Straw hat for example)

Please if you have any questions ask them! i'm glad to help.

Lars

P.S. Make a pale shirt design if you want to see if your skin actually is becoming darker.

Last edited:
You forgot to add that tanning only works when you are not in sleep mode.
Apologies if I am incorrect.

Would like to make an amendment to Step 2.

Remove head gear and shoes and wear a short/skirt paired with s tee/tank. Do not hold an umbrella.

You can also tan while wearing long sleeved shirts, pants, shoes, socks and certain headgear. My character was wearing the Zelda dress design and she got as dark as you can get.

Last edited:
Oh you guys all are right sorry cx, But Bulbadragon that's true too, but it slows the process.

Thank you for this guide! I've been wanting to get my mayor a little bit darker :3 Too bad it disappears so fast :<

I have tanned in sleep mode on the island. It doesn't have to be summer? I was trying earlier, but didn't seem to notice much of a difference. Maybe I'll try again.

Oy, I don't know much about New Leaf tanning, but perhaps you should post some pictures of each tanning level. It'd help a lot, y'know.

Bump! I think that this guide might be for good use even now!

I've gone to the Island so much that I ended up with a really dark tan and I hope it goes away soon. I'll have to remember to wear a hat from now on.

Hello! I just wanted to mention that you only need to spend 15 minutes (between 10am and 5pm) out in the sun, rather than 30 minutes! It might save people some time while trying to tan, haha! :blush:
Thank you for posting this!

Oh really? i did not know that, i will edit it!

Last edited:
Thank you for this guide! I have already been doing this every day and I am seeing a change (My characters skin is now a light carmel color!) I hope to get the darkest color yet because it will look good with my outfit <3

Back