December Birthstone (Turquoise)
Blue Star Fragment
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
Summer Shell
Blue Hybrid Rose
Love Ball
Blue Candy
Blue Hybrid Pansy
I haven't seen this mentioned in guides or anything, but after checking Nook's Cranny since day one, I just figured this out:

For whatever reason, the shop of every island has a severe limit to what furniture variants it will ever hold. I believe it can only hold 1 variant of every item - maybe 2 if you're really lucky. So if you see a TV in one color in your island shop, it might as well be the only color of that TV size/type that your shop will ever have available - And you will never see the other color variants get sold there.

This is the probably the worst aspect I have about this game. In New Leaf, it was possible to get every single shop-sold piece of furniture through one shop - There was nothing in the Emporium that was exclusive to your island. In New Horizons, the shops are totally crippled: I have less than a third of all available items and variants in the game, yet I get nothing but all duplicates in my shop day after day.

Please: I know that trading is part of the game. But this is an extremely artificial way of imposing people to trade, especially against people like me who don't want to trade for furniture. I really, really hope they fix this somehow, because I bet it is part of the reason people complain about the lack of furniture in this game.

Please: I know that trading is part of the game. But this is an extremely artificial way of imposing people to trade, especially against people like me who don't want to trade for furniture. I really, really hope they fix this somehow, because I bet it is part of the reason people complain about the lack of furniture in this game.
As the saying goes, it's not a bug, it's a feature. It's an intentional decision to push players to get Nintendo Switch Online. As such, they're not going to fix it. You either get on board with their skeevy business decision or go without. It's unfortunate, but there's nothing to be done about it.

If I thought Nooks Cranny was bad enough, this has just taken the cake (what I mean by bad is their always-the-same DIYS, boring options, and repeats of wallpaper)

lmao the title almost gave me a heart attack.

i mean you basically answered the reason why they decided to make color variants exclusive to each player and if you want other colors, you'd have to trade with other people aka one of the main points about this game. trading means you need online access and online access can be granted with a nintendo switch online subscription, you know where this is heading.

i know it can be hard to go out of your way to trade with other people, i've been there myself, but if you really want something it's definitely isn't impossible. plus trading can be quite fun and you get to meet nice people (can only vouch for most users on here though, not other sites like nookazon for example).

wow the title had me thinking it was something creepy or like... um idk lol
but yeah it’s stupid that they made it so you basically HAVE to get the online subscription if you want all the colors of something. it’s not like it’s overly expensive or anything ($20 a year is pretty cheap imo) but it’s still annoying for those who don’t/can’t buy it.

yea... color variant of furn is very limiting with nook's cranny. there is a chance you could get the other colors with Redd but if you're trying to catalog all colors it might be a tough task without trading.

I too think this really sucks. And I don't really see a reason why this would be a reasonable thing to do, they should include all the variations. Ok, Nintendo Online is not expensive, but it would just be easier to get all the items at nooks. I rarely buy anything there anymore, the items repeat often

As the saying goes, it's not a bug, it's a feature. It's an intentional decision to push players to get Nintendo Switch Online. As such, they're not going to fix it. You either get on board with their skeevy business decision or go without. It's unfortunate, but there's nothing to be done about it.
Agreed- it's not a bug, it's a feature. Not my favorite feature, but I get the intent. It's like version exclusive Pokemon.

Also, you 100% CAN get other color variants yourself- shake trees and visit Redd. Redd will sell other color variants (in addition to art) and trees can provide other colors. They're harder to get, but I got the white colored Cute Bed from a tree that I was desperate for (my cute color is blue, which is my least favorite of the colors).
How a full four poster bed got in a tree is a totally different issue, of course.

Yeah, nooks only has the few color variations. Without trading, you can get the other colors via redd, villagers, trees, and balloons. It definitely makes it harder for people who don't trade, but it's not impossible.

Yeah - I get most of my new furniture via balloons... And I always look forward to see what Redd has in store - Probable more so than the nooks every week.

lmao the title almost gave me a heart attack.

i mean you basically answered the reason why they decided to make color variants exclusive to each player and if you want other colors, you'd have to trade with other people aka one of the main points about this game. trading means you need online access and online access can be granted with a nintendo switch online subscription, you know where this is heading.

i know it can be hard to go out of your way to trade with other people, i've been there myself, but if you really want something it's definitely isn't impossible. plus trading can be quite fun and you get to meet nice people (can only vouch for most users on here though, not other sites like nookazon for example).

I'm mostly fine with Nintendo switch online and interacting with people like so - I do a giveaway of recipes to people each Saturday.

It's just that I don't wish to be hyper-dependent on having to trade for over 2/3rds of the catalog to complete it. I want to complete it by myself for a sense of accomplishment - Just like how I like breeding my own flowers from scratch rather than just have someone breed them for me.

I have an online membership but prefer to get things on my own. Finding the same colour each day is disappointing.
Making extra players helps with different colours and getting more items. The trees were nice in the beginning but now I kept shaking the same colour item.

I thought it was a punishment you get for Time Travelling, I learned it the hard way.

Do you think this variant stuff you mentioned has anything to do with the Nook Mile furniture items color variations depending on what airport color you have too?

I thought it was a punishment you get for Time Travelling, I learned it the hard way.

Do you think this variant stuff you mentioned has anything to do with the Nook Mile furniture items color variations depending on what airport color you have too?

That's a good question: It might be worth doing a survey about this. For instance, I find that my shop has Antique Furniture in Light Brown and Instruments in White. My airport is Orange - so if there are other players with trends like that, it would be neat to know.

I have noticed this too and is why i decided to start doing alot of online transactions even though i hate them.
I prefer just to play and move on and not have to wait on other people or hope someone has whatever item I am looking for.
As someone with anxiety it is just feels stressful even though it isn't anything actually important in life.

However I did decide if I ever decide to start my game over or if my save data ever corrupts and I have to start over, I was going to do minimal online transactions and see how it goes. I know it isn't realistic to not do any at all and still expect whatever I am looking for.

I'm just hoping they'll be more store upgrades added in future updates. There's so many items and barely any get shown off in Nooks Cranny. It always seems like I'm seeing the same things.

I actually suspected this thread would be about this from the title XD I cant remember what items i got from the shop and what ones i got from trees and such, but i noticed repeats in colors more than once in my nook cranny. I dont trade so i wonder how long am i gonna take to have the pices i want from the cute set in the colors i like. I also think your villagers can give you items in colors other than the ones you find in your shop.

Very obviously just a way to promote buying a membership. Every company does it. It's unfortunate, but Nintendo needs to make a bit more cash than whatever 13million x 60 equals lol

it sucks as sometime i am on a Rush and Go to a other shop and grab everything and try to remeber if i got it or not. Sometime i forget some items at redd or nooks.

This is probably the thing I dislike most about this game. I already had NSO before I bought thus game, so crippling my furniture options isn’t going to get them more money from me. All it does is cause frustration. Just because you CAN trade for things doesn’t mean that should be the only realistic way to get what you want. Personally I hate the idea of having to buy or trade for sooo much stuff. The prospect of seeking out total strangers online to help with cataloguing in a game that offers zero in game way to facilitate such things literally sounds like the exact opposite of fun to me. Why does Nintendo so badly want people to have to seek out third party tools to help them meet strangers to trade for hundreds and hundreds of items?

Redd comes once every other week and probably has limited stock, plus only seems to sell maybe one single extra color variant of each item that he does sell, netting you a total of 2 color variants of items that probably have 4+. And trees mostly seem to give me the same color items that are available at nooks and maybe 1 other color if you are extra lucky. And for me Redd has only ever sold colors of things that I’ve already gotten from trees. So either I’m very unlucky which is entirely possible, or trees/Redd carry the same stock of items in the same colors so that Redd doesn’t actually increase your item availability at all.

And as a example of 2 items on my island, I’ve shaken from trees and gotten from balloons loads and loads and loads of electric kick scooters and those tricycle things, and after around 500 hours of gameplay I still only have one tricycle color and one scooter color catalogued bc that one color variant of each seems to be the only thing directly sold to me or dropped for me. Also anything gifted to me by villagers has always been in the color that’s already available to me.

Terrible design choice. I hope the expand nooks in the future to offer all color variants of items. I don’t need them to sell me more items each day if the items are going to be in the same one color. Nooks honestly gets really boring/useless very quickly because there doesn't seem to be much furniture that exists in the game in the first place, so you quickly just start seeing the same things in the same color you probably don’t like over and over. I doubt they’ll rethink this though sadly.

I agree, it's the worst aspect of NH, too. If you can, it's super worth it to just go to one of those cataloging events in which you catalog everything. May cost a pretty TBT (or NMT), but it is so nice to not have to make little wishlists, post them on here and hope someone will sell what you're looking for at an affordable price

Back