3DS price drop, free games for early adopters!

They have -- they actually pioneered the strategy in the NES days, and sold the Gamecube at a loss briefly while it was at $99.
Oh yeah, I remember something about the GameCube now that you mention it. Don't know too much about the market during the NES days, since I wasn't born yet. =p But still, in recent times it's unheard of for Nintendo.

Again, selling a game early is very different from selling a system at a new price early. When retailers sell games early, it's not a decision that the store has made. It's just some dumb employee who put the game out early because he/she didn't check the street date. Price drops, on the other hand, are a conscious decision made by corporate, and it's not something that an employee can goof up, because it's all tied to the store's database. And it's much more serious than letting a game slip out early. If a store sells a game early, they're still getting money from it. If they cut the price on something too low, they're gonna lose money. Nintendo is still supplying 3DS systems to retails for the MSRP of $250 (the stores buy the systems from Nintendo for slightly less than that, of course, so they can make a profit). If a retailer drops the price to $169.99 before Nintendo sells them the systems at the lower price, they're just going to be losing money.

And, again, don't count on a 3DS Lite or whatever. Nintendo just lost a ton of money, and they'll be losing even more when they start selling the 3DS for a loss, so what makes you think they're going to spend money and resources on a new model? Plus it's been said many times that they designed the 3DS with no revisions in mind. With the 3DS, Nintendo is pushing software updates as opposed to hardware updates.
again, unless there is a button/switch that can be flicked on/off to change all of the prices store-wide at a specific time and someone who is waiting for the specific time to do so, there is always room for human error for better or worse.

if nintendo came out and said they were working on a 3ds lite, 3ds sales would plummet again for everyone who was considering but not quite sold. i assume they would just wait for the lite version to see what how that would unfold.

not having enough funding recently does not mean that they did not have continued development of the upgraded system beforehand.

i approve of having more software/firmware updates as opposed to hardware updates, but why would they be unable to update both systems, similar to sony's psp/slim/go? (educate me please, did the dsi have firmware updates, as well?)

again, unless there is a button/switch that can be flicked on/off to change all of the prices store-wide at a specific time and someone who is waiting for the specific time to do so, there is always room for human error for better or worse.

if nintendo came out and said they were working on a 3ds lite, 3ds sales would plummet again for everyone who was considering but not quite sold. i assume they would just wait for the lite version to see what how that would unfold.

not having enough funding recently does not mean that they did not have continued development of the upgraded system beforehand.

i approve of having more software/firmware updates as opposed to hardware updates, but why would they be unable to update both systems, similar to sony's psp/slim/go? (educate me please, did the dsi have firmware updates, as well?)
We're just going back and forth here, now. Yes, it's possible. Is it anywhere near as probable as selling a game early? No.

And of course Nintendo wouldn't announce a 3DS revision this early, if they were even making one. But time after time they've said that they aren't, or at least they don't have any plans anytime soon to. They never said this with the Nintendo DS, and in fact in an Iwata Asks interview they confirmed that they had planned to make the DS Lite, and later DSi and DSi XL, very early on.

I've said this many times before, and I'll say it again; There really isn't that much that Nintendo could improve hardware-wise to warrant a 3DS redesign. The only significant things that could be improved are the battery life and the whole screen scratching problem. The screen scratching problem is only present on some 3DS models, and it happens because the pads on the top screen aren't pushing out enough, something that can be easily fixed on future models without the need for a full revision. And the only way they could improve the battery life would be to use a bigger battery, which means they would have to make the system bigger, too, or wait until there's some kind of advancement in battery technology. The 3DS battery isn't bad my any means at all, it just takes a lot more to power it than the Nintendo DS because of the constant wireless connections (StreetPass and SpotPass), the higher resolution screens, and, of course, the 3D.

Sweet! =D I think it was a really good idea for them to give all the free games out, you can't lose! ^^ I'm pretty excited~

This happens to me every time I buy a console, it always drops in price like a month after I get it. xD;; Good PR on their part.

awww, too bad i already bought a 3ds! i could've saved me some bucks. :<

I'd rather have the free games. The extra money was worth it, and extra games are just an added bonus.

Apparently Amazing Mirror and Super Mario Advance 3 are added to the list, now.
That hasn't been confirmed yet. It was stated in an email response from a Nintendo rep, but Nintendo email responses have been incorrect many times before. Plus the whole thing could have been faked for all we know.

But if it is true (and I can see it being true, though it's surprising that they'd give us two Super Mario Advance games), I think that pretty much sets in stone that we'll be getting Kirby's Adventure as an NES game (and probably Metroid, too, since we're probably not getting Zero Mission). I think Kid Icarus is a given, too.

So tempting. Can someone who has it tell me if its worth it? im really on the fence

So tempting. Can someone who has it tell me if its worth it? im really on the fence
if you plan on buying a 3ds and don't mind having a revision come out within a year, now is the time to buy (if the gba games interest you)

if not, then don't bother and wait for the new 3ds or whatever, whenever it's released/announced.

just make sure you pay the lower price at wal-mart, or try to do so. if not, no real pressure to buy.

Definitely. Especially if you get it cheap before August 12th so you get the free games with it. And don't listen to Psychonaut, there's no revision coming out anytime soon. >_>

Back