• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

3DS Games to get before the eShop Closes

Bells
Switch
2517-1750-2614
Isabelle
Peach (Fruit)
Blue Feather
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
Pokéball
I'm very disheartened about the 3DS eShop closing, so I've been trying to prepare everything I want to buy before it closes. I want to grab everything I always wanted when I was younger but never had the opportunity to get, and just any games I think I will genuinely enjoy and may be hard to find physically! Does anyone have any suggestions or must-haves you think I or others should consider getting before the store closes?

In my wish list so far I have:
-Animal Crossing Welcome Amiibo: On both of my systems. New Leaf is my favourite game of all time and I love making new towns, and wanted to always have it with me because it would pain me to have to buy it for a really expensive price if I wanted to make a new town later on!
-The Pokémon GB and GBA Games: Once again, classics I love with all of my heart that I always go back to. It makes me anxious playing the actual cartridges due to their save batteries and the 3DS versions have it so you can transfer your Pokémon and easily trade amongst each other. On my one system I just need Red + Blue, on my other I will definitely get Silver, Crystal and Yellow and possibly all of them.
-Pokémon Puzzle League: A fantastic game I'm surprised I haven't purchased on the eShop yet, I really loved the Animal Crossing version of Puzzle League so I would play that to scratch my itch but I should get the Pokémon one!
-Pokémon Dream Radar: The only way to get the certain forms of Landerous, Thunderous & Tornadous iirc.
-A bunch of themes: I'm a sucker for them and when I was younger I would stare at them so longily and be really excited to use my extra currency on them!
-Ace Attorney Dual Destinies: I bought the Trilogy on Switch and I am enjoying it, I believe Dual Destinies is 3DS exclusive and it looks really good so I have to get it while I can.
-King Dedede's Drum Dash: A friend of mine suggested I get this one, I watched some videos about it and it looks really fun!
-Yokai Watch 3: I really enjoyed the other Yokai games and if I remember correctly the third one had a limited physical release.

I am also considering Style Savvy because I've always heard of people really enjoying it and I've never seen a physical copy in person before, but the game is quite expensive and there's three entries and I'm not sure how many I should get. If you have a suggestion, please let me know!

All in all, I would really love to hear your suggestions and I'm sure others in the same boat would appreciate them too. :)

- All style savvy games are good but Trendsetters seems the best, I think its Styling Star but I know one of them WAS AN ESHOP EXCLUSIVE SO GET IT WHILE YOU CAN. * EDIT: Styling Star was only released in Europe physically!??!? It wasnt in japan or the USA though so it is going to die when the eshop closes. *

- The Pushmo Games are ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC, I have the one on Wii U but the three on 3DS are on my wishlist for sure!

-Swapdoodle! Its free but if you want to get any last drawing lessons, or colors get them now! They are a little expensive at $2 - $5 per pack but its a super fun game if you like drawing or sending friends messages.

- Make sure you also get all the themes and badges you want before the Eshop closes as well.

- Ever Oasis is a game that I never played but many love it.

- Rune Factory 4 is A MUST ITS SOOOO GOOD but if you have a switch they are making Rune Factory 5 and even have a special edition "deluxe type" thing for Rune 4.

- THE SECOND MOST UNDERRATED GAME BUT ONLY IF YOU LIKE BAKING: Waku Waku sweets. SUCH A FAB GAME I JUST LOVE IT. It combines baking and a fun story. You participate in competitions to raise your rank, become friends with the folks in town, unlock OVER 100 RECIPES, make money and work at the bakery! Its the best and even has a switch version! If you do not like the Animeish artstyle which I kind of hate but whatever you may not like this or Rune Factory.

-THE MOST UNDERRATED 3DS GAME IS HATSUNE MIKU PROJECT MIRAI. If you like Vocaloid than this game is just 100000% your type. If you dont know what that is its okee and you probably wont like it xD.

- Any virtual console things you may want make sure to get them!

- Fantasy life is another game I have never heard of but sounds and looks fun!

- Harvest moon also another thing I have never known but looks fab!

- Any of the Cooking and Gardening Mama games are perfection.

- Any streetpass games you want to get.

- Disney Magical World 1 & 2. Sadly 2 got delisted but you can easily find copies of it for 3DS and Switch. Disney Magical World one looks like so much fun and I am definitely getting it.

- Finally cut the rope games! They are super cute and fun!

These are some of the stand out more harder to find / only on eshop games for you as I think most games are self explanatory! I hope you choose some of these games and find ones you love!

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Rhythm Heaven Megamix, HarmoKnight, and Pocket Card Jockey.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix is a really quirky, funny rhythm game that has games from previous Rhythm Heaven games, and also some new ones.

HarmoKnight is an entirely different rhythm game with platforming elements, which is an interesting combination.

Pocket Card Jockey is a game that's about simultaneously horse racing and playing solitaire, like, the card game. Which sounds bizarre, and it is, but it's also very fun.

i’ve played every style savvy game to date except for styling star, but that’s actually the one i would recommend because like @Mr_Keroppi said, it only had an eshop release and was never released physically, so i’m not sure you’d be able to purchase it elsewhere once the eshop shuts down. like i said, i’ve never played it, but i have watched the trailer a few times and it seems to be pretty identical to fashion forward in terms of gameplay and features, with the main new stuff being nail designing, amiibo functionality that unlocks exclusive clothing (i’m assuming), being able to help out at a men’s clothing store, and the designing your own clothes feature seems to have been improved. it looks pretty fun!

my second recommendation would be fashion forward, though. it’s been years since i’ve last played, so my memories of all the features are pretty hazy, but it’s my favourite game in the series and the one that i had the most fun with! i especially recommend it if you’re into interior design. there’s a ‘dollhouse’ with rooms that you’re able to decorate and rent out to people, something you aren’t able to do in any of the other games. in fashion forward, you were also able to work at the hair salon and beauty parlour, which was a lot of fun and made for a nice break when you inevitably get sick of buying and selling clothes. i’m not sure if this was included in styling star or not.

i hope this helps!

I've played all the Style Savvy games, and if you have to choose, I'd also recommend Styling Star and Fashion Forward. I have FF as a cartridge, so they can be found, if you don't mind searching. But SS is only an e-shop release.

I'm very disheartened about the 3DS eShop closing, so I've been trying to prepare everything I want to buy before it closes. I want to grab everything I always wanted when I was younger but never had the opportunity to get, and just any games I think I will genuinely enjoy and may be hard to find physically! Does anyone have any suggestions or must-haves you think I or others should consider getting before the store closes?

In my wish list so far I have:
-Animal Crossing Welcome Amiibo: On both of my systems. New Leaf is my favourite game of all time and I love making new towns, and wanted to always have it with me because it would pain me to have to buy it for a really expensive price if I wanted to make a new town later on!
-The Pokémon GB and GBA Games: Once again, classics I love with all of my heart that I always go back to. It makes me anxious playing the actual cartridges due to their save batteries and the 3DS versions have it so you can transfer your Pokémon and easily trade amongst each other. On my one system I just need Red + Blue, on my other I will definitely get Silver, Crystal and Yellow and possibly all of them.
-Pokémon Puzzle League: A fantastic game I'm surprised I haven't purchased on the eShop yet, I really loved the Animal Crossing version of Puzzle League so I would play that to scratch my itch but I should get the Pokémon one!
-Pokémon Dream Radar: The only way to get the certain forms of Landerous, Thunderous & Tornadous iirc.
-A bunch of themes: I'm a sucker for them and when I was younger I would stare at them so longily and be really excited to use my extra currency on them!
-Ace Attorney Dual Destinies: I bought the Trilogy on Switch and I am enjoying it, I believe Dual Destinies is 3DS exclusive and it looks really good so I have to get it while I can.
-King Dedede's Drum Dash: A friend of mine suggested I get this one, I watched some videos about it and it looks really fun!
-Yokai Watch 3: I really enjoyed the other Yokai games and if I remember correctly the third one had a limited physical release.

I am also considering Style Savvy because I've always heard of people really enjoying it and I've never seen a physical copy in person before, but the game is quite expensive and there's three entries and I'm not sure how many I should get. If you have a suggestion, please let me know!

All in all, I would really love to hear your suggestions and I'm sure others in the same boat would appreciate them too. :)
the pokemon games wario ware gold kirby planet robot DSI WARE

I'm looking to get quite a few. I re-downloaded FE: Fates, especially since Revelation is download only without the Special Edition, meaning it will disappear forever until Nintendo decides to re-release it; therefore I recommend it if you have any interest in Fire Emblem, especially one that will become increasingly rare (you will have to buy Birthright or Conquest before you can get Revelation).

Rhythm Heaven Megamix

Pocket Card Jockey

Attack of the Friday Monsters (especially if you like Ghibli films its a very cozy and light game!)

Harmoknight

Pushmo/Stretchmo/Crashmo

The Boxboy Trilogy

Yokai Watch 3 and Yokai Watch Blasters

Also all the Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney games are on sale for 75% off. 5 bucks each so definitely get those

Yeah, if you're getting Dual Destinies, you should get all the others as well, at least the ones not on Switch (Spirit of Justice is eShop only, you might be able to find Apollo Justice for DS but I wouldn't risk it, especially if they're on dale)

I didn't know Disney Magical World 2 got delisted, but it got a Switch release last December that includes all the finicky DLC you had to get via AR cards and special codes in the 3DS version.

Any Atlus games is very hard to find/expensive physical, but digital they're on sale quite often. I highly recommend Radiant Historia, and the Etrian Odyssey games if you're into difficult dungeon crawlers (most of them have demos)

Also don't forget about DLC. The extra Ace Attorney cases were quite fun.

I don’t go to 3ds eShop often. But I got 3D Fantasy Zone 1 and 2 before the shop closes.

I don’t really narrow down choices for other people. But my advice to you, is to get to best sellers and look for categories of high ratings or popularity.

In all honesty, I like trying out hidden gems and obscure games in the 3ds library sometimes.

If you haven't played, get Zelda Ocarina of Time. I know most people have played it, but my first time was on the 3ds and I really like the game.

Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter. Both need to be downloaded to transfer pokémon to Home on the Switch.

Actual games:
  • Virtual Console games (Earthbound, Zelda Oracle games, etc.)
  • Kid Icarus Uprising (hard to find a physical copy)
  • My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (costs platinum points, not money)

If you haven't played, get Zelda Ocarina of Time. I know most people have played it, but my first time was on the 3ds and I really like the game.

I recently picked this game up having never played it before since I've heard many amazing things about it. I won't have time to play it for a while but I look forward to it and am glad I grabbed it before expensive secondhand physical copies become my only option.

I will also suggest the classic Pokemon Games. They are fairly inexpensive and you only really need one of each gen anyways (I'd highly suggest Yellow and Crystal over the rest). It's the best way to live or relive the classic games. Physical copies of these games aren't cheap and can only be played on a Gameboy/Color/GBA. They also contain batteries that when dead loses your save forever. It's also impossible to transfer any Pokemon up from these games.

Not only is the 3DS version a fairly inexpensive rerelease on 3DS, you won't have to worry about an internal battery dying and losing your save forever. They also made the virtual console version able to transfer Pokemon using Transporter and Bank up to gen 7 and beyond. You can also trade wirelessly if you know someone who also has one of the games on 3DS virtual console.

I know Pokemon - especially the original games aren't for everyone but I had to mention it in case you think you might want to play these at some point.

In terms of Virtual Console stuff, the Wario Land trilogy is a great set of platformers. I don’t think the Kirby Game Boy spin-offs will see another re-release so I suggest you buy those as well.

There’s also DSiWare that will become lost to time. Photo Dojo, Aura-Aura Climber, A Kappa’s Trail, Spotto, Looksley’s Line Up. Aura-Aura was my personal favorite, but all of these are cheap and worth buying.

Do you like JRPGs? What about games on the more difficult side? Here are my recommendations:
SMT IV
SMT IV Apocalypse
SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked (a strategy rpg though, think Fire Emblem)
SMT Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker (likewise)
SMT Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
SMT Strange Journey Redux

Last edited:
I've been brainstorming 3DS games to grab basically all month lol.

I've come up with:

Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn
Cooking Mama 4 & 5
Pokemon Art Academy
Yokai Watch (definitely get 3 if you want it. Physically it's expensive)

Definitely grab Tomodachi Life too. It was $30 and I've put 70 hours into it. It's hilariously fun!

It's stressful because a good amount of physical 3DS prices are ridiculous in the second hand market right now so buying digital is the way to go.

Today I finally got

• My Nintendo PICROSS Twilight Princess
  • Pokémon Rumble World
  • Mario Bros Lost Levels
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
  • Pokédex 3D Pro
  • Pokémon Shuffle
  • Mario Picross
  • Mario Clock
  • Mario Calculator
  • Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
  • Super Mario Land
  • Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Fantasy Life DLC
  • Buncha themes
Prior to this, I made sure to get every GB/GBC Pokémon game, both on my main account and a side account so I can trade, Pokémon Picross, Dream Radar, Triforce Heroes (and demo), the Oracle games, Zelda, Zelda 2, Link's Awakening, Four Swords Anniversary, Animal Crossing Clock, Animal Crossing Calculator

Long since had the demos, Bank, Transporter. Made sure to redownload stuff I deleted for space ages ago, like Colors 3D, Face Riaders, SwapNote, 3D Visual Experience, AR Games. Don't have space for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate but I wasn't a fan of it.

It's the end of an era, and I'm sad about it.

Do you like JRPGs? What about games on the more difficult side? Here are my recommendations:
SMT IV
SMT IV Apocalypse
SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked (a strategy rpg though, think Fire Emblem)
SMT Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker (likewise)
SMT Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
there is a severe lack of Strange Journey Redux here

ok last minute semi-suggestion idk how many people will be able to see before it's too late, but I was looking for stuff to clear out my last remaining funds and found this little earthbound inspired curiosity

the dev explains it in a public patreon post, but the tl;dr is he wants to put the game on the 3DS, but because of the eshop's closure, he is unable to at present time. however, while it won't be possible to purchase new games, it'll still be possible to get updates for existing ones in your library. so he intends to use that little loophole to patch in the full game later via an update, while having the current iteration be a simple 10-second microgame. so hey, if an earthbound-esque game is your cup of tea, and you have a dollar to spare (side note: the dev wanted to put it out for free, but nintendo said no), it might be worth taking a chance on. could end up falling through, or it could end up being the best deal on the eshop. though I feel like for the low price, it's a worthy risk

Back